What's the worst car you have ever driven

NeilMH

Need to take price and use in to account surely :shrug:

I drove an i20 to Newcastle and hated it but as a cheap runaround for someone to just go to the shops and back or work then it would be a great option

same here really - my sons 1ltr Seat Arosa is pretty horrible, but it does what it says on the tin ie pootling back and forward to the shops and as a learner car

Fair to say that the average member on here is going to say a 1l whatever is crap even though it really isn't to someone that just wants a cheap car, would rather hear from people that have bought £20k+ cars and they have been awful that's all...

Not ture :lol: It's just those cars - When I was looking at a cheap run around (instead of moving) My criteria was anything other than a Micra or KA oh and a Fiat Punto

When at college a mate had a Simca 1308, it was baby poo brown, which hid the rust nicely and was just tragic in every way. Mind you, he did buy it for 20 b&h, a can of coke and a dairy milk.

Nothing worked on the car to any degree, if he was in front of you at some traffic lights we would always drive him into and slowly push him out past the lights, the brakes were that bad he could do nothing about it, i still remember his face in absolute panic!

An AMC Pacer...Right across the States without air con.... :surrender:

From all written accounts it would appear that the Pacer was truly horrible, albeit I have never driven one.

The Nissan Micra (of any vintage - even a Colette) has always had a gearbox which works (i.e. the gears correspond directly with that selected by the driver). So, in this (and many other ways) it is superior to almost every british car I drove in my youth.

• Like 1

When at college a mate had a Simca 1308, it was baby poo brown, which hid the rust nicely and was just tragic in every way. Mind you, he did buy it for 20 b&h, a can of coke and a dairy milk.

Nothing worked on the car to any degree, if he was in front of you at some traffic lights we would always drive him into and slowly push him out past the lights, the brakes were that bad he could do nothing about it, i still remember his face in absolute panic!

Now we're talking. This is the sort of vehicle I had in mind when I posted this thread. It is likely that it's performance was only marginally better when new :lol:

Now we're talking. This is the sort of vehicle I had in mind when I posted this thread. It is likely that it's performance was only marginally better when new :lol:

I had an Allegro at the same time, positively luxurious and brisk in comparison ;) However shocking they both were to drive, it was a great time to drive, if that makes sense, one minute your going literally everywhere by bmx, roller skates or worst still on public transport and then the next day, you were driving anywhere and everywhere, just because you could :) and what heaven the roads seemed back then. I remember coming back from London mid winter in a mates old swb landy, no roof, sat in the back in sleeping bags, i can see why the TopGear boys have such a laugh, however staged!

I had an Allegro at the same time, positively luxurious and brisk in comparison ;) However shocking they both were to drive, it was a great time to drive, if that makes sense, one minute your going literally everywhere by bmx, roller skates or worst still on public transport and then the next day, you were driving anywhere and everywhere, just because you could :) and what heaven the roads seemed back then. I remember coming back from London mid winter in a mates old swb landy, no roof, sat in the back in sleeping bags, i can see why the TopGear boys have such a laugh, however staged!

Any car from back then with no power steering, no servo on the 4 drum brakes would be a nightmare to drive these days, so just imagine how bad those cars you talk of really were as they were bad in comparison !

That 2.3 V5 Volvo C70 I had for sale a while back. Utterly pointless car.

Slow as you like

Thirsty

Handles like a boat

Creaks like your grandad hip

V5 creates a sort of weird 'wobble' to the car

Assumed it would sound great......nope.

Cost me £1400 to fix ready for sale.

• Like 1

We had a 1L Aygo and it was absolutely immense. Did everything it should, handled very well and sounded like half a V6: Great fun! :)

Okay, more expensive cars that are rubbish: R57 Mini CS. How anyone can find a car that has that much torque steer when you brush the throttle remotely fun is beyond me. Seating position is a bit guff, steering wheel too fat, but it does make a vaguely interesting noise I guess.

Did someone say Aygo? This one lives with us now. :) Great little car except for the gear-change, which is a bit woolly and imprecise.

NewAygo_zps7ed76bea.jpg

• Like 1

Smart Car with sequential gearbox thingy. I felt like I was on a rocking horse. :wacko:

Smart cars should be banned from the road, they're dangerous, ugly and stupid. Except for the Brabus, which does actually earn some credit.

No matter how HARD you are, you're never going to look cool......

yahoo_garay_car1.jpg

• Like 1

My old Vauxhall Astra 2.0DTI (first car)

had a problem with the immobilser so when driving along to used to cut the engine briefly, and violently, the effect was like slamming the brakes on

often it would do it repeatedly and in succession, so to anyone spectating it would look like i was kangarooing up and down the road, like if you were to keep stabbing at the throttle in first gear

oh yeah and the alarm would go off while i was driving it

and it sounded like a tractor

and it was slow

and it was a vauxhall

• Like 1

worst car I've been in was SMD's Jaaaag - sat in the backseat and just listened to the sound system - was OK, but leg room (in the back) was non-existant..........and for me to say that... :stir::scare:

Could have been worse..........

Duck taped up and in the boot.

• Like 1

Daewoo Matiz - yes I can't see many redeeming features there. With the Sunbeam, at least there was the Lotus version ;)

I quite like small Fiats :blush: There were lots of Saxos used in the "stock" class of Rallycross so I have a soft spot for them.

My only Vauxhall I owned, I sold it after a week.

Actually. When I think about it the wife's Megane is pretty horrific too.

1.6 but feels like a 1.0.

Creaks like a whores bed.

Gearbox feels almost agricultural.

No power at all.

You can't put anything on the seats as it then thinks it's a person and beeps relentlessly telling you to fasten the seat belt around your shopping.

Steering is far too light with no feel.

Brakes are terrible. And because discs are part of the hub they cost a fortune to replace.

Driving position is all wrong and feels like you sit too far to the right.

Clutch is heavy and the car is a bitch in traffic.

Trim finish is worse than some 90s Japanese cars.

Heat shield bolts constantly shear and cause an annoying rattle underneath.

Munches front tyres.

And worst of all - she loves it and will never ever sell it.

• Like 1

Actually. When I think about it the wife's Megane is pretty horrific too.

1.6 but feels like a 1.0.

Creaks like a whores bed.

Gearbox feels almost agricultural.

No power at all.

You can't put anything on the seats as it then thinks it's a person and beeps relentlessly telling you to fasten the seat belt around your shopping.

Steering is far too light with no feel.

Brakes are terrible. And because discs are part of the hub they cost a fortune to replace.

Driving position is all wrong and feels like you sit too far to the right.

Clutch is heavy and the car is a bitch in traffic.

Trim finish is worse than some 90s Japanese cars.

Heat shield bolts constantly shear and cause an annoying rattle underneath.

Munches front tyres.

And worst of all - she loves it and will never ever sell it.

Which Megane is this - the booty one or later or earlier?