My article published on Pistonheads Carpool

jjt

Saw some clown say how four other cars are much better than the Zed, just going to play with him now...

What the hell?! I just read the comments and some guy is saying a z4 a boxster etc are better looking?! better handling?! what a total @ss! :rant:

Better engines?! Z4 sucks @ss, porsche is same! Fairplay with s2000 for the amount of power out a 2.0 block... but the rest is just nonsense! :boxing:

Someone mentioned the S2000 and Boxster to me , i described the Boxster as a bit of a w8**ers car, my neighbour has one and he is one :)

The s2000 is a nice car but no torque and having to work it to get it to go is tiresome , plus its slower , plus some of those interiors OMG!!

They're comparing a handful of convertibles against a coupe, so most comparisons are out the window. The zed was originally designed as a coupe so the convertible version will never be as good as it would have been if it was originally designed that way.

Anyway, the early Boxsters aren't much to look at, but are supposed to handle superbly. The S2000 is supposed to be a great car, but needs its nuts twisted something shocking to get the best from it. Early Z4s apparently have a very harsh ride and most are low power small engine examples. None of these are really comparable with the Zed and if you watch the various comparison videos on YouTube from Japan, you'll see that the zed whooped them all on track :D

Great little article, tob job.

To be honest, I don't dislike the Z4, Boxster, S2000 or the SL, but none of them 'tickled my fancy' when I was looking. I wanted something that had a slightly 'chunky' look and feel and the Zed ticked that box for me. I think the Boxster is a great car, the S2000 a real 'pocket rocket' almost and the SL, well that's a great cruiser and drive.

I'm considering a Cayman / 911 as a another possible car along with the SL55 AMG or SL600. They have great engines, build, character and poise. But for me the choice wouldn't necassarily be made because they are better / or perceived to be better than the Zed.

It's just that I like driving and I think they would enable me to enjoy my driving in something different, something with an alternative character. Hell, I still get a smile on my face when I think about scooting around in my Renault 11 ( 1.4 GTL with a sunroof I might add).

It can be frustrating when people 'appear to peddle' a pre-conceived perception or what is deemed to be 'accepted (albeit wrongly...in my opinion) knowledge'. What really matters is that I enjoy driving my Zed and it seems a load of you guys and gals do to......which proves if I am an idiot for preferring the Zed over those other cars, I'm not alone :teeth:

• Like 2

Very nice write up and even handed. Plenty of love on there in the comments as well as the dross.

I love how many people view it as a GT car or a muscle car. The way I see it, I'm either James Bond (GT) or Steve McQueen (Muscle) when I'm commuting :)

That's Connery or Dalton, not Moore, Craig or Lazenby BTW.

• Like 1