What mod have you done today?

ddcboyle

Most recent mods...Eibach springs and 20/25mm spacers :teeth:

How it sits after 1 week

ravutude.jpg

Loving it! So much lower and wider, it should have come out of the factory like this! I can't stop looking at it when I walk away 😊

However, it has resulted in a fair bit of negative camber, especially on the back. So next on the list is a visit to A-Line in Dudley to dial that out (and maybe some camber bolts/arms)

What camera do you use? Gives a nice tone to the photos

Removed the air con / heater controls from my uk 54 GT and replaced with the later 2007 set ,looks much tider and mor modern imho ,i would swap out the whole center console for the 2007 style if i could find one but no luck so far

Was this easy? Parts easy to locate? Keen to do this myself.

Just a couple of little things this weekend, plastidipped my driver's door armrest bit, as it was scratched to death.

Before, uurrrggh

IMG_1553_zpsb1395fe0.jpg

After, yay

IMG_1555_zps230706a3.jpg

Having done that, I've marked the swine already. Can you lacquer over plastidip to toughen it up? If so, how do you make it matte finish?

Nice easy one here, popped my cargo in.

IMG_1563_zps02248d95.jpg

Facelift LEDs brake lights in too.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/69206-please-help-bolt-stuck/

Love the new door rests. Mine are nasty. What colour did you go for? Best place to send them too?

Just a couple of little things this weekend, plastidipped my driver's door armrest bit, as it was scratched to death.

Before, uurrrggh

After, yay

IMG_1555_zps230706a3.jpg

Having done that, I've marked the swine already. Can you lacquer over plastidip to toughen it up? If so, how do you make it matte finish?

Nice easy one here, popped my cargo in.

Facelift LEDs brake lights in too.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/69206-please-help-bolt-stuck/

Love the new door rests. Mine are nasty. What colour did you go for? Best place to send them too?

It was just the plastidip offering in black. Did it myself, with plastidip it's no big deal as you can simply peel off if you make a mess of it. However, I found the finish looked nice, but didn't stand up to usage. Looked very tired after a month or so. I'd recommend you give it a go to see if you like the finish, but if you want something durable I'd suggest a proper paint over plastidip.

I've since replaced with RT's fantastic carbon dipped version and am refurbing my old ones with better paint. However, using real paint is much more difficult than plastidip so it's been a bit of a learning curve. If I can't get it right I may just sand them back and give them to my local bodyshop to do a pro job in satin black, it shouldn't be expensive if they have the paint on hand.

• Like 1

Today I did one thing, and learned an important lesson.

I took the hamburger off the back of my car...

... and put it straight back on when I saw the two holes it leaves behind.

Today's lesson: always research before doing, no matter how simple!

Or a bit of body work and have this result.

20130918_132237_zps842c0eeb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Haha looks like I've started something here! :D

Done mine now so much better :)

Got pulled for my front 3/4 plate tonight no warning just a £100 fine :O to pay with in 28 days

Seems a bit harsh for 3/4 plate??? Usually just a warning. What did you do to plods daughter ;) ;)

• Like 1

Haha looks like I've started something here! :D

Done mine now so much better :)

Got pulled for my front 3/4 plate tonight no warning just a £100 fine :O to pay with in 28 days

Seems a bit harsh for 3/4 plate??? Usually just a warning. What did you do to plods daughter ;) ;)

Ha ha

I couldnt believe the £100 fine

was just leaving Beaconsfield services near m40

He said the plate illegal and should not be on the car

I mite get import ones fitted now as dont want another £100 fine

Any idea what size the imports are

Need size for both front and rear needs to be a legal one tho

This sadly is why I wont ever change my plate.

If mr plod is in a bad mood they can give you the above fine (or even more, upto £1000) for the slightest thing and there's NOTHING you can do about it as its in black and white, number plate laws are some of the best written construction and use laws in existence, they leave absolutely no wiggle room for what is legal or what is not.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

Keep the correct plate size, fitted in the approved mounting location, correct font size, correct font colour, correct font, correct spacing of letters and no silly logos where the country/E.U flag should be and you will be fine.

That £130 (100 fine and around 30 for the plates) could have been spent on a much better mod :)

I must admit, I was tempted too and im sure 99% of the time you get off with a warning, but it just isn't worth the hassle. Sucks to hear you were fined though, but least its a lesson learnt.

Sidenote: Some of the construction and use laws are outdated and bizarrely seem to be ignored. One regarding petrol tanks says that to be road legal, the container must be "made only of metal", I can think of several cars that break that rule.

Edited by cs2000

I have a tiny show plate with velcro circles in the corners, at a meet I have the tiny one on display and before I leave I chuck the big one back on. If I see the police wandering around I chuck the big one back on again. It literally takes 2 seconds and has never caused me issues.

I have a tiny show plate with velcro circles in the corners, at a meet I have the tiny one on display and before I leave I chuck the big one back on. If I see the police wandering around I chuck the big one back on again. It literally takes 2 seconds and has never caused me issues.

One way around it, obviously on private property such as car parks you don't have to have any registration on at all. Unless its a council owned one as its a public car park then and not private land.

Things like shopping centres, meets like Japfest etc would be good examples.

Did a compression arm bush this weekend.

When I got the arm off the internal of the bush was completely adrift from the metal case and I managed to just pull it out by hand!

Me getting started on the brace/support, you can just make out the end of the compression rod and how it has dropped all the way down!

null_zps2bbe13f3.jpg

What it looked like off the car, the ball joint was fine ðŸ‘

null_zps1c462f16.png

Then I pulled it out by hand!

null_zpseb8aaccb.jpg

I did all the pressing at work, and was on my own so didn't get any pics or vids of that but here's the outter part of the bush

null_zps22f38d21.jpg

Didn't get a finished picture as we all know what a zed looks like 😉

A nice easy job. Next month HEL lines....

Edited by Scully
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dead washer pump.....

Diagnosed by no fluid or sound coming from the pump when activated.

Doddle to fit with the front right wheel is off.....you just need to pull back the arch liner and boom its there in front of you.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Nissan_350Z_3.5_2005/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/wipers/car-washer-system/?488700010&1&cd8269b47267e0bd5b80021b83072a531f389510&000599

£7.08 for a Euro Part special, 5th of the Nissan equivalent.

6CF7E7FE-D720-4F7D-A991-7DE931201F8C-8119-00000875FA49AAD3_zpsbadbb854.jpg

:yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't today but I thought I would list my mods since buying the zed... Stubby aerial, rear wiper delete, D1 Spec throttle controller and a K1 exhaust (I like it). I have also purchased some 20mm spacers from D8MNT which should be here on Monday and coilovers are coming next month as a Christmas present to myself :D

Also I picked up some RAYS alloys as I had the standard GT alloys, they aren't on the car yet as I need to get them refurbed (thinking either black or shadow chrome) and then I will probably fit them in spring time as I don't want them getting ruined over winter.

I will get pics up once these bits and pieces are on the car!