What mod have you done today?

ddcboyle

I do live with the constant fear that someone will rip them off, though I'm hopeful that because they turn, a would be not-so-bright perp will just sit there for ages turning them until I arrive with a hammer.On the positive side, I do like the little key ring thingy. It means it is easy to get them off when you check pressures (takes about 3 seconds per wheel longer than normal) and you never leave the unlock key behind anywhere, unless you forget the whole bunch :surrender: It won't stop determined people, I think it will stop kids.

Hope those aren't the cheap variety.

I used to have some metal ones, as did my sister. Both bought from different people and within 2-3 months they had rusted onto the valve stem.

I got them all off with an hours work, WD40 and some pliars but damaged one of the valves and needed to be replaced.

Think it was something to do with the metal reacting with the metal on the valve stem.

Anyways, today I..... fitted a tracker to my car!

77763f17-eb90-418c-8a75-48694733bbd6.jpg

Really good piece of kit, its very small so can be hidden away, charged from mini USB so very easy to power, is available to view online, on mobile browsers and can also send you its location via SMS if you call it and hang up!

There's loads of things you can do online such as Geo-fencing, movement alerts via SMS & email.

best of all it was only £99.00 :thumbs:

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 2

Hope those aren't the cheap variety.

I used to have some metal ones, as did my sister. Both bought from different people and within 2-3 months they had rusted onto the valve stem.

I got them all off with an hours work, WD40 and some pliars but damaged one of the valves and needed to be replaced.

Think it was something to do with the metal reacting with the metal on the valve stem.

Yeah this is common as the two different metals react and start bonding at a moleculeur level or somin. what i was told is if you want to use metal dust caps then put copperslip on the thread to reduce the chances of this happening and not being able to get them off at the side of the road when required.

Cs200 tell us more about the tracker and i see that you have removed the location from the image but it is still fairly easily to locate the car as it is pinpointed on the map maybe worth distorting the image so not easily identifiable if you are worried about that sort of thing

Edited by rodgeevans

I did realise that, not too worried, not as if its going to go anywhere is it lol. Who would attempt to steal a car they know very well is tracked :shrug: . Plus the tracker is hidden, its about the side of 2 matchboxes so easy to stash anywhere and comes with up to 9 months (I think) battery life dependiong on settings.

mine will be considerably less as I have it reporting its location every 5 mins. Reporting time is choose able from 10 seconds to 24 hrs.

As I say you can set geo fences (multiple) to alert if a car enters or leaves a particular area. It has a motion sensor, you can arm this from online and if the car moves it immediately sends you a sms/email.

Its a device from www.loc8tor.com. The website isn't all that and the instructions are a little confusing, but a nice little device really. You do have to pay a fee to be able to locate it, this is in leu of paying a monthly subscription and you can choose monthly, 3 monthly, 6 monthly or yearly packages with the longer ones being much cheaper. If you don't want to use it for a while just don't buy the GPS credits.

Have you informed your insurance company? And if so has it made a difference to your premium?

I did, but got no reply, il do it again, but as above, cant see it being huge. They will probably try to charge me more and call it I.C.E equipment.

Well over the weekend I decided with the good weather to attack the car and get some things done!

FIrst job was fixing the cracked front bumper I did the Thursday before :( that took most of the weekend with removing dead/old fibre glass, cleaning it all up and re-fibre glass then fill. However all looks great! And that's about where the good luck ended....

Went to fit my DLR lights which I sorted out all the wiring and found...........they don't fit!! I've got a 2006 car so bought the face-lift reflector/DLRs and of course I have the V1 Nismo bumper so..... yep you guessed it - I need the old V1 versions :( At least CS2000 has another order anyway :)

So next job - finally remove the fried egg effect on the indicators front and back. After fighting with the front head lamps - seriously the face lift lights are a nightmare to change indicators on :( Finally got the indicator out only to find yet again a problem!

I had ordered 2 sets of SilverVision bulbs specifically for the 350z from Care4car.com a while ago - and they kindly sent 2 lots of PY21W - but I needed WY21W so yet another waste :(

So down £28 for bulbs and £45 for the DLRs and I'm still sulking :(

Oh dear, bad weekend then!

The indicators are no easier on a pre facelift light either, even with the wheel off you can barely get the bulb and the holder back into the headlamp without almost breaking one or both of them.

I think they were designed to be fully removed before a bulb change. Bizarrely, its much easier to change the HID bulbs than it is the indicators, due to them being further down the light and thus more room.

Replaced the standard cloth seats for a set of Alezans. 15 minute job, just need to work out how to stop the airbag light from flashing now!

avemy7eh.jpg

Also put bonnet dampers on the other day. 15 minute job, just need to remove the obsolete arm now!

pyvutyza.jpg

Do it nice or do it twice!

Replaced the standard cloth seats for a set of Alezans. 15 minute job, just need to work out how to stop the airbag light from flashing now!

airbag light fix if you haven't done it already :thumbs:

This didn't work.........drawing board revisit

Do it nice or do it twice!