Please help - bolt stuck

Stutopia

Got some facelift LED brake lights. Rear off-side went on sweet, with some minor Stanley knife action to the connector. All tested, worked good. Thanks David for help with this.

However, the rear driver-side is being a PITA. Got two of the three bolts out no problem, middle one just turns forever. Applied some minor force and pop off the brake light comes, however the bolt and a small bit of plastic still in place. Tried some mole grips, more turning, pulling - won't shift. I can undo the rear off-side and go back to bulbs, so it's ok for Monday. But I'm loathe to give up and fail.

I'm hopeful I can shift this bolt tomorrow and finish the LED install, what I am hoping for is one of you can advise how to deal with this damn bolt and get it out. Tell me there is a magic trick for a bolt that turns forever, please.....

• Like 1

Typical isn't it. Simple job, 20 mins all round, screwed by a thread.

I tried a bit of lever action with a screw driver, I suspect this is actually deforming the metal it is screwed into, rather than shifting the bolt. Grrrr.

Whilst I'm on this, what's good for painting (normally hidden) scratches, to keep corrosion away. Some grey Hammerite?

No, I was only doing the brake lights so I just opened the boot and pooped the little caps off. First one went in sweet. If the bumper comes off you reckon I could tap it through from bellow with a micro adjuster?

Taking the bumper off wont help you get to the rear of the bolt that's spinning.

Unless I'm wrong the bolt is in the double skin surrounding the boot opening.

I don't think you can get to it from inside the boot either, but it will be easier to check by removing the trim inside the boot.

Your only choice is to persevere.

Pull up on the bolt head with mole grips while turning ?

If all else fails you may have to punch the same hole in your new light leave the bolt in and just put the plastic cap over it.

Nobody see - nobody know ! ------- as an employee of mine used to say ----- (He diddn't last long however)

Sounds to me like whatever the bolt screws into is turning with the bolt, the only thing to do is drill the head of the bolt off, the only problem being that you won't be able to replace the bolt unless you can get to the back of it :shrug:

So I left the bolt to think about its, frankly appalling, behaviour overnight. It hasn't changed its stance this morning so we had a full and frank discussion, which ended like this.

image_zps8d947f6b.jpg

LEDs now go on and I'm safe to go about my business. However, even a slack workman like me can't leave that damage around the bolt like it is. My plan is to thoroughly clean the area and put some hammerite on the bits of damaged paint.

You reckon this will be enough to keep corrosion at bay? Any other suggestions?

Edited by SuperStu

Whoop whoop, from the jaws of defeat a victory is snatched!

Slopped on some hammerite to the newly "polished" surface, if you look extremely closely there is a minor colour mismatch. I won't say where, in case you don't notice. Did some historicals as well whilst the brush was out.

IMG_1562_zps3a4ecb3c.jpg

I then used a highly sophisticated technique to test the new brake light, employing a handy bit of trim, already off from doing another job.

Apologies for the filthy footwell, I am suitably embarrassed.

IMG_1548_zps50fb48b8.jpg

Bish bash bosh, fully LEDed up.

IMG_1573_zpsf2dd3b93.jpg

IMG_1572_zpsc8b1de15.jpg

Job's a good 'un.

Thanks for the positive comments yesterday, I needed it after a 20 minute job decided to try and wipe out my weekend.

PS - The unorthodox deployment of some boxed, yet to be fitted, boot struts whilst working in the back particularly pleased me.

IMG_1540_zps995905b1.jpg

Looking good Stu. :thumbs:

Just caught up on this thread and for any one else who hits the same problem.

The captive nuts can be reached by removing the side boot trim.

The nut nearest the rear is exposed and be reached with a 10mm spanner or socket.

The middle nut and the nut nearest the front can be reached by drilling a 13mm hole through the outer skin to allow a 10mm socket through.

Alex. :)

Maybe leave it the professionals next time Stu. Never seen such a pigs ear made of such a simple job. Your comments above really made me laugh so I'm sure I'm not the only one amused by your misfortune.

Pleased they're on and looking great.

:-)))

Cheers David, that's exactly the kind of encouragement I need!!

Anyway, got there in the end, minor damage nicely hidden and shouldn't cause any major future problems. I don't see any reason why that brake light should ever be touched again. Also, in my defence, it wasn't my fault the stupid bolt was being a pri*k, although some of the damage cutting the head off could have been avoided by someone with a longer temper!

I've learnt another lesson too, always allow for 3 times as much day light time as you predict for any job. If my short comings, plus Alex's excellent solution help just one person who this happens to, it's all worth it.

Anyone want to buy some pre-facelift brake light clusters, only minor damage....