I'm a little devastated....

Richesio

I went to my car this morning and last night a local taxi decided to crash into the back of it and it’s completely and utterly destroyed it. Luckily I wasn’t in it at the time, so I’m okay and I’ve since spoken with the driver of the taxi and he’s okay too.

I'm gutted.

Anyone had any dealings with insurance companies after a non-fault claim, what’s the best thing to do?

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that 350z's are always more expensive than what they're actaully worth (more so than normal), so what advice do you all have to get the most amount of value from the insururers? I'm with Admiral.

post-25214-0-18634900-1469106844_thumb.jpg

post-25214-0-67056600-1469106844_thumb.jpg

post-25214-0-29885900-1469106845_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richesio

A little devastated? I would be absolutely crushed if that was something I woke up to! So sorry to hear that and hope it gets sorted out for you. Problem is that insurance companies never pay you enough to get another good example if it's considered a write-off... at least that's how things have gone previously for me. :(

If you were thinking of selling off bits for spares, the only thing I really had a need for was a WV2 rear bumper... but it appears your one is in not such a good state! :shrug:

Anyways, hope it all gets sorted out!

• Like 1

Aww sucks :(

Do yourself a favour and don't faff around with accident management companies, just deal directly with your insurer. It will make life so much easier, and it's what you pay them for. Start collecting adverts for comparable cars from PH & AT, and be prepared to haggle.

• Like 2

So the first you seen of this was this morning? You didn't speak to the driver just after it happened? The reason I ask is because it looks like you're parked on the right hand side of a 2 way street and he somehow managed to crash square into the back of you at some speed. I would be suspecting drink to be involved.

• Like 2

So the first you seen of this was this morning? You didn't speak to the driver just after it happened? The reason I ask is because it looks like you're parked on the right hand side of a 2 way street and he somehow managed to crash square into the back of you at some speed. I would be suspecting drink to be involved.

I've just realised that! Good spot. On another note, if it happened overnight, did you not hear the collision? What was the taxi driver doing until morning?

As Kyle says, drink would be an obvious starting point.

• Like 1

Just to say, further to what Ekona said above, Admiral are really good to deal with. Once you have a new car, they'll reinstate your policy for the remaining time for around £70. Technically if a car has been written off, the policy is considered as closed, so it's nice they'll let you re open it.

• Like 1

Had an Asda van hit our Focus, damage to wing and bonnet and it was a write off, doesn't take much nowadays but the process was really quick dealing direct with their insurers. We also got a great first offer as well.

That looked like one hell of an impact as well, were you parked on the kerb overnight as it looks like your tyres are up on the kerb or were you shunted up there.

• Like 1

A little devastated? I would be absolutely crushed if that was something I woke up to! So sorry to hear that and hope it gets sorted out for you. Problem is that insurance companies never pay you enough to get another good example if it's considered a write-off... at least that's how things have gone previously for me. :(

If you were thinking of selling off bits for spares, the only thing I really had a need for was a WV2 rear bumper... but it appears your one is in not such a good state! :shrug:

Anyways, hope it all gets sorted out!

I'm sure it'll buff out. Let me know if you're interested! :lol:

Btw, you'd be'crushed'? Nice pun!

Aww sucks :(

Do yourself a favour and don't faff around with accident management companies, just deal directly with your insurer. It will make life so much easier, and it's what you pay them for. Start collecting adverts for comparable cars from PH & AT, and be prepared to haggle.

This is what I wasn't sure about, I was given the option of dealing with Admrial (my company) or dealing with the 3rd party insurers direct. So thanks for the advice.

Yes, I was parked on the other side of the road and he came round the bend and it looks like he didn't bother turning!! It hit my car which then launched the Fiat 500 in front of me, that then hit a Vauxhall Astra (which due to age also looks written off). The Fita 500 looks like it got away fine, madness!

Sorry to hear this buddy,I would be absolutely crushed if that was mine. Hope you get it sorted.

'Crushed'? Haha, like the pun!

I've just realised that! Good spot. On another note, if it happened overnight, did you not hear the collision? What was the taxi driver doing until morning?As Kyle says, drink would be an obvious starting point.

My girlfriend saw it this morning at 8:30, she was in tears!!! It happened at 2:30 last night. It was a little down the round from us, so we didn't har it, but other people did. One man thought he roof was collpasing. The police were called and have given me a crime reference number.

Just to say, further to what Ekona said above, Admiral are really good to deal with. Once you have a new car, they'll reinstate your policy for the remaining time for around £70. Technically if a car has been written off, the policy is considered as closed, so it's nice they'll let you re open it.

Ah that's good to hear. Was hoping they'd be good! Thanks for letting me know.

Had an Asda van hit our Focus, damage to wing and bonnet and it was a write off, doesn't take much nowadays but the process was really quick dealing direct with their insurers. We also got a great first offer as well. That looked like one hell of an impact as well, were you parked on the kerb overnight as it looks like your tyres are up on the kerb or were you shunted up there.

So you went to the 3rd party insurer direct or through your own?

I would not be tipping that driver!

Too soon?

Ha, to be 'fare' it was funny.

Edited by Richesio
  • Like 2

If your car hit into another car does that mean they'll be looking to claim off your insurance, the same way it would do if it was a bump at traffic lights say for example and the guy behind you pushed you into the car in front?

• Like 1

So sorry for you - and sadly it will almost certainly be written off as we know all too well that rear impacts often crumble the boot floor. I guess there is front end damage too. :shrug:

Hopefully Admiral will get the best pay-out for you - if you have legal protection that might be useful in the event of a poor offer.

• Like 1

In my experiences of having a couple of cars written off in the past its a pretty straight forward process. You can either deal directly with the 3rd parties insurance company, or go via your own. If the car is written off then the insurance company will give you the market value of your car. i.e. what it would cost to replace it like-for-like with the same car, colour, age, mileage and spec. You more than likely will find that their first offer is a cheeky low-ball one just to try their luck. A lot of people amazingly assume thats fine and accept it. But, if you come back with proof of what it would really cost to get such a car with adverts from Autotrader and Pistonheads etc then in my experience the insurance company will immediately up their offer to the correct market price.

Bare in mind that whilst the accident was no fault of your own, your insurance may increase as a result next time as you have been involved in an accident. You might be able to claim the increase in cost (if known) back from the other driver along with any other costs such as hire car etc.

Such a shame as it looked like a lovely car.

• Like 1

Really sorry to see that Rich but glad you're okay and nobody was hurt.

I'd definitely consider removing anything though that isn't "technically" insured, ....E.g. If you've a thick 350Z boot carpet or some nice car mats then I'd take those out to sell on. If you've an aftermarket gear knob and still have your original then I'd swap those around also.

Might be worth checking firstly with some on here who know more about insurance policies/legality than me but I'm pretty sure legally there'd be no issue with you doing that, although it might be one of those grey areas?! :shrug:

It's hard to tell exactly where the line is drawn between personal possessions you can remove from an accident damaged/written off car and those parts insured or now owned by the insurance company after a car is written off.

I know taking your engine out would definitely be taking the p*** though. :lol::D

• Like 1

Gutted for you mate. I can only echo the sage advice of staying well clear of accident management. Without going into details (I will once it's sorted) Elephant (part of admiral) recently palmed me off to one for a non fault claim and it was simply a waste of several weeks before I went back to the insurer and got it sorted.

If your car hit into another car does that mean they'll be looking to claim off your insurance, the same way it would do if it was a bump at traffic lights say for example and the guy behind you pushed you into the car in front?

I did ask about this and everyone claims off the taxi, so no one can make a claim on my insurance. Phew! I did also wonder the same.

Really sorry to see that Rich but glad you're okay and nobody was hurt.

I'd definitely consider removing anything though that isn't "technically" insured, ....E.g. If you've a thick 350Z boot carpet or some nice car mats then I'd take those out to sell on. If you've an aftermarket gear knob and still have your original then I'd swap those around also.

Might be worth checking firstly with some on here who know more about insurance policies/legality than me but I'm pretty sure legally there'd be no issue with you doing that, although it might be one of those grey areas?! :shrug:

It's hard to tell exactly where the line is drawn between personal possessions you can remove from an accident damaged/written off car and those parts insured or now owned by the insurance company after a car is written off.

I know taking your engine out would definitely be taking the p*** though. :lol::D

I was thinking of taking the mats (in case I buy another 350z), otherwise, I don't need anything else, but I better check the legality of it first.

As you likely know by now that is "beyond economic repair" and this has happened to me twice.

My first was my first Z that someone drove into for me, i simply delayed collection and ensured anything of value was either off the car or replaced with stock parts. I sent them some autotrader and ebay links showing cost of replacement and I got "replacement cost" rather than the "book price" like they like to give.

Again I had a GSXR-750 wrote off for me this year, I paid a low price in Jan being the winter but come summer when I looked to replace I did the same, they paid out 1,200 more than I paid for my one in Jan to cover the price rise come summer.

All this said the key is being honest with your insurance about mods, where it is kept, and your particulars etc....as you never know when bad stuff happens. If they have no reason to question you, in my experience, just push for what it would cost to replace like for like and accept no less and they will pay. If there is discrepancies...well you signed a contract and they are well within their right to tell you to do one.

I do feel for your loss though, its terrible to have to see this of something you have given so much time and effort for :(