All new Top Gear May 2016

Spatt

To me it was still a flop, and I can see it being pulled in the not so near future. Waste of fee payers money.

Its the most watched programme in the world mate, they reckon it made them £50m in 2014 ...........

Misunderstood it was good then, but the not so new one, now I was getting at.

sent by my Zed eating a Welsh cake

The days of Quentin Wilson were good. The days they reviewed supercars and normal family hatchbacks and saloons. No pointless challenges etc.

I think that's where 5th gear wanted to step in by reviewing cars but they had to appeal to the masses rather than just enthusiasts so changed their format as well. But that's getting scrapped as well

• Like 1

Top Gear was great stuff so they sold the format off to other countries in turn- the US, Germany, Australia etc. And eventually they got round to the UK last Sunday. But it looks like the metros got the gig.

The closest parallel to what has gone on would be if a comedian like Stewart Lee died and they decided to give his show to a popular stadium comic to keep the money coming in.

Top Gear died. It's either immature or greedy to not accept something died.

Mind you, they replaced Pippa in Home and Away so anything's possible ..

• Like 1

I'm holding out to see what happens, I've always found Evans to be abrasive, but my opinions towards him have softened. I felt he was the weakest link in the show that day. found the presenting in the extra gear to be more solid. like the part offroad track and the use of a better car. but was never really a fan of the stars in cars bit anyway.

the test will be if i'm still watching all the way through by episode 4.

• Like 1

Has anybody thought that the original trio of JC RH JM have all worked together for so many years that they click easily with one another even on live TV... It's going to be a few weeks at least before we get to that stage with this new guys.

I actually thought the show was good. It has some areas to improve on and yes Chris Evens shouting it one... you can't fault any enthusiasm from him though.

I thought it was ok but then the original trio were getting staid anyway IMO. I'm of the opinion as a petrolhead that the more car programs there are the merrier.

Being a boring fart I actually preferred 5th gear to top gear anyway.

MLB actually made me chuckle a few times however staged it was, Evans tried to hard and I think we will see the more serious reviews done by Harris who let's face it comes from Autocar stock and knows his stuff.

I will keep watching it for sure.

I've just finished it to the point they've arrived in Blackpool. It really feels like they're trying too hard and that there isn't any genuine chemistry. The editing lacks the polish of previous seasons as well. Can't say I'm impressed so far...

The days of Quentin Wilson were good. The days they reviewed supercars and normal family hatchbacks and saloons. No pointless challenges etc.

I think that's where 5th gear wanted to step in by reviewing cars but they had to appeal to the masses rather than just enthusiasts so changed their format as well. But that's getting scrapped as well

Agree, thats when I used to tune in religiously every week and watch Top Gear. Once it became the "Jeremy Clarkson" show I switched off. Ive seen various episodes since and just couldnt get on with the staged "challenges" and stuff. It just made me want to smash my TV up.

I guess im hoping that the new Top Gear will be a step away from the previous version, however from the reviews ive read it sounds like they are trying to do all the same stuff still. Ive recorded it on sky plus so will have to watch it later in the week/year when I get some spare time.

i think it's hard to judge a program from it's first broadcast, but from what i saw, the banter between Le Blanc and Evans was a little wooden, nice try though, but the format does seem the same which is fine if you like that kind of thing.

Edited by Rock_Steady

They seem to have a large budget, it doesn't seem like they spent much of it on episode 1...would be good to see some of their big road trips, stunts, some of the more insightful car reviews etc. Episode 1 was always going to be a bit of a grounding exercise, I thought it was a solid 6/10, happy to review on an ongoing basis - be foolish to not watch it at all when it has sports cars and the like being thrashed about based on one episode.

come on, give it a chance guys.. its episode 1. I think if you still feel the same way at the end of the series then fine but then you can say you gave it a fair shot

I can kind of understand why people do that though. Everything else on tv is crap and we've been watching it for that many years that we need to watch it

And with every episode (previous hosts included) you think it might start getting better but ultimately were disappointed :lol:

Edited by LRF4N

I think if you were a fan of TG you'd be mad not to give it the full season to fully commit one way or another. Tonight will be more of the same because it was filmed before the release of the first episode so no way they could change anything, it's next week that may be different.

I'm in for the whole of the season, and I'll make my mind up after that.

I did watch the full episode last night, followed by EG.

The first half of the show was better than the second.

Sabin can drive but by god she's awful when on script! She's much, much better when off script though so let's hope either that improves or they stop writing for her.

Evans did seem to be trying too hard and I'm willing to give MLB the benefit of the doubt and blame the writing for the 4x4 section.

EG was pretty good though. Despite the random and pointless guest segment. :lol:

Just watched the 1st of the new TG ............. well, I have to say I quite enjoyed it - yes CE is a bit shouty, but thats him and you either like him or not - but I'll carry on watching this as a good bit sunday evening b*ll*cks before settling back to work the next day :thumbs: up from me

well tonights episode was a lot better... pretty much enjoyed all of it, apart from a SIARC section, as usual. the challenge had a lot more going for it this time around, actually had a point to it. and that McLaren F1 LT, wow. words cannot express how much i'd like to drive that car round a racetrack.

They really need to get some people on who actually know cars. That ginger actor was just embarrassing, even if he can pedal. One guest is plenty, thanks.

But yeah, I liked the rest. Particularly enjoyed CE saying about him shouting some more in the intro bit :lol: