Is my neighbour being unreasonable?

twobears

I've recently moved back to Yorkshire and my next door neighbour - only house for miles except mine - seems to have gone more batty than is normal, even for her. I keep a few ducks, geese and chickens in my orchard which runs parallel with hers. She has nothing but rough grass on her side of the fence so nothing that could be damaged. The problem is that one of my chickens, Ethel the Ovenready (joke, she is a pet), a lovely friendly yellow chicken often gets onto the neighbours land. I don't know how she gets out, the other chickens all stay put but Ethel is an escapologist.

Neighbour has become obsessed with Ethel and admits to having fed her on many occasions and yet she only seems to want her to call round at pre arranged times. As you can imagine, chickens don't really wear watches so Ethel just goes round when she feels like it and that prompts yet another phone call from the neighbour to tell me to go round and get Ethel. She phones me every other day and sometimes twice a day. I am at the end of my tether now because I simply can't keep Ethel in, despite going round my fences umpteen times to block up even the most minute holes because she still gets out somehow. Last year her wings were clipped but she still got out and that worries me because next door neighbour has a Labrador that will chase her and could, obviously, kill her much more easily if Ethel couldn't even flap out of harm's way.

I don't want to fall out with my only neighbour but I am not sure what else I can do except wring Ethel's neck and that is not happening!! Just wanted to see if people think I am the unreasonable neighbour and, if so, what I can do to keep young Ethel from her peregrinations?

I hate to say this, but sadly I think you have got to try somehow to keep Ethel in.

Would help of course if your neighbour did not feed her- perhaps you could request this.

I do not have any experience though in how you keep Ethel in though.

How do you keep her/them safe from Foxes though ?

Some what a pa(ou)ltry problem. I'm going with the neighbour here - get some chicken wire up and tell her to stop feeding the chicken or alternatively if they are layers offer some eggs in exchange for the status quo

Errrr ....... if it was an angry dog would you be saying the neighbour was unreasonable? Im with Ekona, if you cant keep control of your animals then you cant blame people for getting pi**ed off.

And if the neighbours dog does eat her ......... you cant really blame the dog, can you?

Definitely ask them to stop feeding her although the damage is probably done.

Your chicken, your responsibility.

Clear, firm and decisive. one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen on this forum :lol:

I thought it was quite reasonable, no empathy whatsoever right enough !

Errrr ....... if it was an angry dog would you be saying the neighbour was unreasonable?

By that token then, what if it was a cat?

twobears, Sounds like your neighbour is trying to help you protect your chicken, by alerting you its preventing the dog from attacking her if you can remove her from next door.

What is your problem with the neighbour and what would you prefer she do?

Edited by Gudzy

Our chickens are surrounded by ordinary stock fence but I covered it in bird net to stop them getting through the gaps.

However, some of them squeeze through underneath, and get into the adjoining field. No probs there, as its ours anyway. They tend not to stray too far.

What type of fence do you have and how high is it?

When you clipped her wings did you just do one side or both?