Is my neighbour being unreasonable?

twobears

Ha ha, just got home and read all these replies. Some very funny ones! :lol:

There's no way I could get cameras all along the perimeter walls to monitor young Ethel but I like the idea of her carrying the camera strapped to her back!!

Neighbour gets lots of eggs anyway so that won't work to bribe her and I clipped one wing last year but to no avail. I know she couldn't fly but all I can think is that she has some sort of Chicken Run set up going on and is being fired into the air by the other chickens? :wacko:

Really don't want to fall out with my neighbour but I can't cope with constant phone calls either so I think Ethel might have to go to a better place soon :( Only to a friend's house rather than chicken heaven I should point out. I love that chicken too much to want anything to happen to her. She's got more personality than the rest of my girls put together and she's a luvverly yellow colour to boot :teeth:

Sorry Wendy, forgot to say that all my birds roam around the orchard all day but are locked into coops which are inside large wire cages overnight. There's always someone here and so far we've had trouble from a stray ferret but foxes have stayed away. There's always a risk of fox strike with free rangers though but they have such a happy life scratching about all day that I couldn't keep them inside their houses or I'd feel like a battery farmer!

Edited by twobears

I will try if she keeps still long enough! Every time I go out to the orchard she runs up and jumps around my legs asking for mealworms. I let her stick her beak into the tub because she's my special chicken, ha ha :lol:

Weirdly, that is what I am doing because I've just had a new dish thingy put up and will be ditching my BT line as of next week :lol: She's still got my mobile though and a key to my house so I can run but I can't hide :surrender:

Just realised I haven't answered the fencing question either! I've got post and rails along two edges with chicken wire stapled on and on the other sides I have wire stock fencing, again with chicken wire stapled on. I've raised the height of the fence but that didn't make any difference to Ethel, even when her wing(s) were clipped. She's not been out of the orchard all day today but I am keeping an eye on the little menace in case she makes a break for it :dry:

I know that Ethel might fall victim to the dog and I really don't want that to happen but I doubt my neighbour could bring herself to serve Ethel up for her own dinner because she's told me that she 'loves' her. That's the daft thing, she encourages her into the garden but moans when she comes in of her own accord. I did ask her to stop feeding her but she says that she likes to see her. Argh!!

For me Annie the neighbour is almost certainly;

- old and or retired

- bored

- probably a bit mental

If she hated chickens I'd say you've got to sort it out. The fact that she loves the little bugger suggests to me that she's one of those people who will be going to bed satisfied with a hard days moaning but in actuality has bog all to moan about.

So yes I think she is being unreasonable in this specific instance.......regardless you've got to try and keep her in though otherwise she might go full bonkers and you'll see her wearing Ethel as a headpiece

• Like 2

Ha ha Ricey, you must know her :lol: Yes, she is old, retired and I think she is probably bored but she's not really bonkers. She does love to complain and she moans about everything under the sun, not just Ethel's misadventures. I actually get on with her very well but someone once told me that she reminded them of a mosquito because she made a constant whining noise :lol:

She loves animals (her late husband was a vet) and, like me, she takes in waifs and strays if no-one else wants them so I'm pretty sure Ethel's plumage won't go towards making the neighbour a fascinator!

For me Annie the neighbour is almost certainly;

- old and or retired

- bored

- probably a bit mental

If she hated chickens I'd say you've got to sort it out. The fact that she loves the little bugger suggests to me that she's one of those people who will be going to bed satisfied with a hard days moaning but in actuality has bog all to moan about.

So yes I think she is being unreasonable in this specific instance.......regardless you've got to try and keep her in though otherwise she might go full bonkers and you'll see her wearing Ethel as a headpiece

Either that or she's just lonely and wants any excuse to interact with another living person, say the only neighbour for miles for example. Just a thought.

• Like 1