Anyone been to Rome or Barcelona?

pjf1985

It's my girlfriends birthday coming up next month and I have no idea what to buy her and so am thinking of going on a city break for a couple of days.

I've narrowed it down to Rome or Barcelona. Has anyone been to these places? How do they compare?

We're both in our 20's and enjoy all different things really, but does anyone have any recommendations of where to go and what there is to do there.

Hi been to Barca many many times, as I used to work in northern Spain flying into Barca airport, fly to BCN Barcelona, it's about €30 fora taxi to the Ramblas and this is a fantastic place going down towards the sea,loads of street performers, some are unbelievable, loads of stalls all the way down and some nice hand made jewellery at the bottom keep her sweet after the Ramblas you can visit the aquarium place or the Barcelona Zoo :thumbs: this is a good setting point :wave: oh yer flights are easy to get also and very well priced

Edited by Mopedmark
  • Like 2

Been to both, prefer Rome out of the two. Just felt more 'immense' if you know what I mean - it blew me away. Barcelona is a cool place too, but didnt quite blow me away in the same way Rome did. Mind you, Barcelona does have a beach!

We were quite lucky in Rome, staying near the Vatican, got up one morning, wandered down there, went into the standing area and 30 mins later we were in touching distance of the Pope as he came by in the popemobile! All very surreal!

• Like 2

+1 for BCN - never been to Rome but hit Barca for the last 3 years for NYE.

Head to the Moritz brewery (http://moritz.com/en) for some lunch and a drink (check out the menu including a chicken with a can of beer stuffed up its @ss), then treat her to a stadium tour of the Nou Camp - most romantic thing I can think of...

IMG_5186_zps9d4da2d7.jpg

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

Yes I did the Camp Nou tour, was very good.

Oh and they were champions league holders at the time, had my photo taken with the cup, then lost the photo! (you have to buy it from an official photographer)

Edited by coldel

I've been to both, but don't like either.

But if I was forced to choose, I would say Rome.

Many better cities to visit though. I would choose Riga, Geneva, Prague, Copenhagen, Duprovnik over them.

Been to both, loved them both for different reasons.

Out of the two I would always go for Rome, we're heading back there again later this year. Whichever you go for I would recommend a 4 - 5 day weekend visit.

Barcelona has a great feel to it, it's colourful, busy but relaxed. Lots of stuff to see in terms of architecture and art (Parc Guell, La Sagradia Familia, La Ramblas, Montjuïc are for the park and where the old GP circuit was). Great food and drink and lots of choice. It's a great city.

Rome, in my view is in another league, it's a vibrant, working, cultural melting pot of history, art, passion, architecture, intrigue, love, romance, fashion, wine, food etc, etc. it's just seeing things like the Pantheon, Colosseum, the Baths of Caracalla, the Forum etc. it's simply one of the most fantastic cities we've been to, hence going back.

If you're heading to either in March it might be a bit cool, so take that in to account. I would defo go for Rome. If you can arrange it, fly out Thursday evening, fly back Tuesday evening. Spending and extra day my well cost you, but consider this. What if you never get the chance to go there again?

All the best with it anyway :)

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Rome was awesome. Was there last year for my anniversary

Loads to see, food was great, weather was roasting in April

Only thing for me was- we went for a relaxing holiday but in 6 days we didn't do much relaxing cos there's so much to see. A lot of walking around. We came back needing another holiday :lol:

As someone said above worth going for longer to make the most of it

• Like 2

Been to Barcelona and would love to go to Rome. There is a few nice things to see in Barca that have already been mentioned, The Sangrada Familia, Camp Nou, Las Ramblas etc, and don't forget the fountains which you can have a look on Youtube if you don't know about them.

But although I enjoyed out 4 days there, there are negatives too. The people haven't got a great grasp of the English language, which is odd for such a touristy place, but generally they'll know enough to get what you want/need. Also I found the food not to be to my taste, the only place we found nice grub was the Hard Rock Cafe as pretty much every other place sold nothing but Paella and other sea food.

• Like 1

I've been to Rome. Very historical and lots to see and do. Only disappointment for me was the food, which i thought was very poor (this is coming from a man who's favourite food is pizza!)

As a city break though, Prague is spectacular.

• Like 1

I have been to both a few times and you can't go wrong with either.

It would be the right time to go to Rome next month though as in summer it's dirty and hot and intense and super busy.

It's always a good time to go to Barcelona as it feels a bit bigger and relaxed and a bit more varied.

Alternative - Given it's the gf birthday if you really want to get in the good books Paris would do the trick :)

Edited by chips
  • Like 2

If you have a fascination for history - Rome is superb and will easily fill a weekend without touching the surface.

I'm going from memory here, so bound to miss something important, but try and see :

The colosseum, the palatine hill, the forum, the Spanish steps, the trevi fountain, the Vatican (obviously), Victor Emanuel's memorial

Barcelona doesn't have quite such a rich ancient heritage but is still very interesting with many quirky buildings influenced by gaudi - there's the Picasso museum with perhaps the best collection of picassos in the world.

I didn't find the people in Rome particularly warm or friendly and a rip off is around every corner. And the general standard of food was surprisingly disappointing - unless I was massively unlucky.

Barcelona on the other hand is much more welcoming and friendly and - as someone else mentioned the road known as las ramblas is one of the two main arteries of the city - the other being la diagonale. If you stay there I'd stay within easy access of either of those roads. You just have to be a bit careful in Barcelona too and not give too many opportunities to the low life to prosper!

It may sound naff but the open top tour buses are great ways to see both cities and will give you a fabulous whistle stop tour of just about everything significant - you can then go back and mop up on anything you are interested in seeing in more detail. Look out before you go for vouchers - or even when you get there - as you can get some good discounts on the local rate.

Top cities in Europe from my experience:

1. Rome

2. Rome

3. Rome

4. Prague

5. Viena

6. Bruges

7. Lyon

8. Bern

9. Milan

10. Sibiu

As others said above, a billion things to see within walking distance in Rome, huge number of historic / archaeologic sites, amazing places to eat etc

• Like 2

Been to both and would go with Rome

However Antwerp is one of Europe's best kept secrets with superb food and beer - quite a bit to see too if you have a short visit - plus you can drive the Zed there avoid Brussels completely differerent feel to the place and crap traffic system - worse than London on a Friday night

• Like 1

Definitely agree with the open top bus tour

We did that on our first day in Rome. Hadn't ever used one before but now I wouldn't do a city break without using one. Especially if it's a short trip

We found it gave us better bearings on the city and we planned which bits to return to on the following days, and which bits we were happy enough seeing from the double decker

• Like 2

Top cities in Europe from my experience:

1. Rome

2. Rome

3. Rome

4. Prague

5. Viena

6. Bruges

7. Lyon

8. Bern

9. Milan

10. Sibiu

As others said above, a billion things to see within walking distance in Rome, huge number of historic / archaeologic sites, amazing places to eat etc

Pretty much this, Rome is fantastic and everything is within walking distance.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your opinions guys. I've just booked a trip to Rome. Seems as if most people are saying that is the better choice. I'm going this time next month for 3 days which I doubt will be long enough to see all the sights! I can't wait to go now :)

So as for things to do, any more ideas? I'll definitely check out all the sights including the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Vatican etc and the open top bus tour sounds a great idea! Won't be there long so need to cram as much in as possible :yahoo: