Anyone been to Rome or Barcelona?

pjf1985

Three days isn't long, but I would do the following:

Day 1: Vatican & Vatican museum (possible to do both in one day, but don't hang around!)

Day 2: Colosseum & Forum (Colosseum isn't actually that exciting, the Forum is incredible though)

Day 3: Trevi Fountain (10 mins literally), Spanish Steps (again 10 mins), Pantheon, and then whatever else you fancy doing. Shops are nice, and I'd just take a break in the Piazza Navona for some grub. Relax, soak it up. If you really want to see more stuff though, go to the Castel Sant Angelo: It's huge!

Also, while you're by the Spanish Steps go and have a look inside the Shelley/Keats museum. Sounds silly to do when you're there, but we found it to be one of the most interesting an curious things in the whole city. Probably take about an hour to do it all, but fascinating if you have any interest in English literature at all.

• Like 2

You can avoid the queues for the Colosseum and Palatine HIll/Forum by buying in advance you pretty much go straight to the front - Make sure you print your tickets as its a right balls if you don't and they will not accept screen shots

Also the hop on hop off red tourist bus is really good and you pretty much circle all the main attractions then you can decide where and when to get off. We did Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Forum, Vatican City and Trevi Fountain pretty much in a day with kids using the bus as transports as well as tour guide

http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/rome-hop-on-hop-off-tour_19393

• Like 2

Tbh, there's too much stuff in Rome to do in three days: We were there a week and there was plenty we didn't get round to seeing. I would prioritise the important things and then give them the time they deserve, then come back again for the rest. :)

• Like 1

Everyone mentions the trevi fountain (I don't mean members on here I mean on every site you look at) but I thought it was a bit of an anti climax. That part of the city was nice though

We went to piazza del popolo a few times. Good for sitting down with a sandwich or an ice cream cone and watching the world go by. Loads of street performers there in the evenings

Also worth getting a metro pass for the duration your there. Everything is close to a station

• Like 1

Good recommendations from Dan. I think if you try and do any more than that, you'll be rushing around so much you won't actually enjoy being in Rome

Id recommend getting to the Vatican asap in the morning. It'll give you good chance to get round it without too much delay. If you're there you won't be far away from the Castel St Angelo at all. It's worth a visit if you're in the area.

We always tend to make sure we commit to seeing one thing for definite each day. But take account of what else is in the area. Then we can pop and see a couple of other bits close by if we want to.

Like most major cities just watch for opportunist thieves / cons. As long as you have your wits about you, you won't have any issues. Enjoy the food and drink, it's worth searching online now for maybe a few good restaurants or bars you can 'fall back on" while you're out there.

Most of all, don't forget to take a moment to take a breath and take it all in. Rome was founded around the middle of the 8th century BC, the 750's basically. So you're walking around a city with layers and layers of history and culture.

You guys are going to love it!

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 2

The bit I think blew me away the most was when we were walking in the forum, and overheard a guide telling their group that this was the road that Caesar walked down when he returned to Rome, and that the stones we were walking on were the original ones.

That absolutely blew me away. Astonishing the history there, it really is.

• Like 1

Anybody recommend a good hotel or apartment in Rome ?.

I think we got our apartment through owners direct Will.

http://mobile.owners...ch=City of Rome

Needed a bit of searching to find a good value one, but there's lots of choice.

Thanks mate. "She who must be obeyed" wants to go in Sept / Oct for a week.

I told her Buddha doesn't live in Rome. :surrender:

:lol:

That'll be a great time to go Will. Tail end of September / beginning of October the weather will still be quite pleasant. Again, if circumstances allow I would recommend a week, it'll give you that chance to see stuff without dashing around like mad. You still won't see everything mind you :)

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

When in Rome - watch out for the Taxi Drivers.

They'll rip you off as look at you. Like London but 4x.

I got the usual 'round the long way' but then when I paid him he did a switcharoo on the note and tried to make out that I gave him a 10 rather than a 50 euro note - it'd have worked if I had had anything in my pocket except brand new crisp 50s straight out of the cash machine...oh, and an arm across his throat.

• Like 1

:lol:

That'll be a great time to go Will. Tail end of September / beginning of October the weather will still be quite pleasant. Again, if circumstances allow I would recommend a week, it'll give you that chance to see stuff without dashing around like mad. You still won't see everything mind you :)

Yes' I'm going to wait until all the kids are back at school and most of the tourists have

gone home as well. So mid Sept sounds a good time. :thumbs: