Does anyone else LIKE spending money on their car??

Sarnie

Or is it just me?

I was having a conversation with the Wife last night and I told her that in the last two weeks I'd spent the following on my M3;

£360 - 2x Michelin PSS'

£280 - Road Tax

£1,298 - Inspec II, Rear discs, rear and front pads, new drivers side brake caliper, subframe inspection etc etc

So not far off £2k. My wife asked if I was gutted given that I only drive the car to football on a Sunday and until last weekend had not driven it since the start of December and I said that I actually enjoy spending the money on replacing and enhancing my cars, beyond just spending on sparkly stuff like wheels and exhausts etc.

Am I/we crazy!??!

I enjoy it :)

It's just the same as people spending money on...

*Stamp collection

*Models

*Train sets

*Sport - New kit/gear

*Drugs

*Garden

*Home Decorating

*WEDDINGS

*Holidays

*Festivals

The list goes on, my point there is, everyone spends there money one way or another, and only some you may see a return on. I'd say only some you would get the enjoyment out of it, however someone who collects Train sets etc may feel the same about cars and can't justify spending money on cars.

I`ve just coughed up £261 for 6 months tax on the 370 (6 months so that it wont coincide with the service and insurance renewal again next time and MOT in another 2 years). Can`t say I enjoyed that one bit !

Edited by Wayne370Z

I love buying stuff that'll make it better, but hate it if it's something that's broke and can't really buy an updated better part.

I enjoyed coughing up the best part of a grand for the exhaust when I got fed up with patching the OEM up, but hate the idea of buying a bracket behind the drivers rear wheel which has started to disintegrate, despite it costing a mere fraction of the cost.

I don't mind spending money on my Zed. :blush:

I just get pi55ed off putting £90 of fuel in and getting 200 miles...!! :scare:

£90 quid? ? I can fill up from nearly empty with momentum for £75

What's empty to you? Just as the red light comes on?

Or do you have a dead rat in there :lol:

Your fuel gauge is probably reading wrongly, a UK 350z has a fuel tank capacity of 80 litres I believe.

I dont. Ive got a few cars so none get driven much and it always pisses me off when stuff needs replacing, even more when it breaks. I didnt used to mind upgrades and stuff when I was still modifying (coilovers on the 200SX were good, the 400hp engine was better) as I knew it would come back better but like for like ......... :yuck:

An excellent example is my 350, funnily enough. Last year I had to get it MoT'd which meant banging out for a new headlight ballast, OE lower arm, new exhaust, new front tyres (due to lower arm) and fitting for all of it. I then drove to Spa, did a trackday, came home and did another trackday at Donington where I flatspotted the front tyres, killed the rears and cracked my bumper.

You can work out the cost of all that (I cry when I think about it) but the point is the car isnt any better than when I still had all that money in my pocket ........... :bangin:

I guess it depends on how much you value driving the car.

Last July I dropped 750quid on doing work on my Yamaha R1, then spent 4.5grand on a Ducati 996 on which I then dropped another £1500 on overhauling with the plan to enjoy a good few rides out over the rest of last year. Ended up only getting out on them about 4 or 5 times since then. :( I guess you can look at it that thats a lot of money just for a few rides out, but from my perspective it was worth it and hopefully I can get more moneys worth out of them this year.

Mine's usually £98 with Shell V Power! That's from empty with the light on and totally brimming it. Mind you I usually get around 320 miles out of mine

I guess what I was more referring to was not just spending on stuff that we all like, such as exotic bees wax from Brazil and shiny Volks from Japan but the mundane stuff like getting the car serviced and taxed.

I'm not happy with how my bumpers line up and it's going in to a body shop tomorrow where no doubt the guy will look at me like I'm crazy to be bothered by it, but once it's done I'll be happy with it even if I get hit with chunky bill!

Maybe I just have bad OCD!?!?? :lol: