v-tec just kicked in .....yo ...... pg21

Bodyboarder81

Noooo I am shocked. I also test drove a 12 plate V8 on Monday and it felt very similar to the 70 but unfortunately bigger and not really any quicker. Especially not for 2x the price!

They look great and make a nice noise but are really not special at all....especially compared with your 50! IMO of course.

Did it really not feel that much quicker? I genuinely thought it would be quite a significant difference over the 370?

You have to absolutely ring it to get it to go fast ..... Peak power at 8300 rpm . I had a blast with a manual one a few years ago in my standard HR 50 ..... It spanked me , and the 70's are no faster than the HR 50 as we all know . It's not night and day faster , it's just so well set up you can use the 420 bhp pretty much all the time as the chassis handles it .

Edited by Bodyboarder81

My mate had one he said the only thing that the m3 had over my 70 was the diff

And you helped me with that :)

As in your zed with the charger on ? I would have thought your zed would pull on the m3 quite a bit ! But in standard form the m trumps the 70 in pretty much every aspect , but then it should its alot more money!

Ess supercharger on order ..... 7k fitted and mapped 600 bhp , hahaha ;)

• Like 1

And you helped me with that :)

As in your zed with the charger on ? I would have thought your zed would pull on the m3 quite a bit ! But in standard form the m trumps the 70 in pretty much every aspect , but then it should its alot more money!

Ess supercharger on order ..... 7k fitted and mapped 600 bhp , hahaha ;)

Yes sorry with charger

You are kidding me really? ?

• Like 1

Congratulations Josh on this beaut! You are going to have fun with it. You got the right car and DCT. Manual is fun but the DCT allow you to focus on just driving.

Only weak points in real life is the brakes and quiet exhaust.

Had I kept mine longer, I would have done the 2 pipe mod which gives the exhaust the sound it deserves for around £200 rather than spending loads on the popular eisenman, Miltek, or akrapovich.

I transformed the brakes with just upgrading the front to performance friction 11 compound carbon metallic pads. Just phenomenal! I can interest you in a set of nearly new pad just bedded in. Took it of before the car sold as they cost almost £250. Just getting some pics to put it on M3 cutters forum which you should join. Not as good as this but a must to get resources and mods for the car.

Also wish I had a spare OEM steering wheel to swap out my alcantara sports steering wheel! What a bonus for the new owner!

The supercharger kits match the car's character and fully bolt on so similar to the kits for the zed but better quality. Don't be tempted to go for more that stage 1 on stock engines though.

Be ready to spend on tyres! I killed a set of tears in around 3-4K miles when spring came since I got mine in winter. I recommend the ubiquitous MPSS.

Edited by GT4 Zed
  • Like 2

Yes already booked in for the 2 or 2.5 exhaust mod :)

Been on cutters for a while , as i know chris and carl from there , really helpful guys and full of knowledge . But yes ill be sticking round here ( sorry folks !) as its like a little family with the odd chav who turns up every now and then !

I have heard the brakes are the week point and when the pads are done i may well upgrade to stoptech bbk .... Or as you say better pads for the cheaper option .

Has new mpss on all round from previous owner :)

And will be booking jack royal for a flat bottom alcantara steering wheel , along with some dash parts that ill get covered with a nice little '///M3 ' embroidered on ti them .....

Ordered spacers , matt black grills , side and bonnet vents already !

Was your mate trying to sell you another 370 at the time? :lol:

Nice whip BB, I do like them in white I have to say. Any plans for more noise/brakes/carbon?

See above :)

Trying not to go crazy with it ! But will end up getting a carbon M sport rear spoiler , as they look so good :)

Noooo I am shocked. I also test drove a 12 plate V8 on Monday and it felt very similar to the 70 but unfortunately bigger and not really any quicker. Especially not for 2x the price!

They look great and make a nice noise but are really not special at all....especially compared with your 50! IMO of course.

Is that like saying the a 370 "isnt really any quicker" than a 350, especially for twice the price?

No idea how you can't find an E92 M3 significantly quicker than a 370. It's night and day, especially with the DCT and when you get into interesting speeds.

I agree though, I didn't find the car that special either which is why I swapped it for a 911 the next day. That said, I suspect it's because I wasn't really ready for a bigger coupe with a V8 at that point in life: Certainly in every way an E92 is better than my E63, and given how much I love that I suspect I'd adore an E92 these days.

• Like 3

Was your mate trying to sell you another 370 at the time? :lol:

Nice whip BB, I do like them in white I have to say. Any plans for more noise/brakes/carbon?

Nope just his honest opinion! he felt the 370 with the stillen kit was more powerful

But said he could tell the m3 fired you out of the corners better

Your the chap with the 1 series Aren't you?

Yep, I have the 1er and I also didnt think the 370 was a great leap over the 350 when I drove it. Fair play, a Stillen 370 is going to be quick, possibly as quick as the bimmer in a straight line but the quality of the interior, the feedback from the chassis, the gearbox (DCT or manual) and for me the accuracy of the steering and the grip available are all better on the M3.

It costs a shitload more too, this is usually a pretty fair comparator ;)

• Like 2

Is that like saying the a 370 "isnt really any quicker" than a 350, especially for twice the price?

There would be nothing in it on the road between a HR 50 and 70 ...... And that's why I chose another 50 over the 70 when I was looking . The interior is nicer though on the 70's and the looks are a matter of taste on either

Ironically to the build up to this thread I saw my mate today who has just taken delivery of his british gas blue gt4. Now I dont like Porsches but it really is a very pretty car and by far the best Porsche I have seen in recent years, but, cant help that think with my lowly earnings, £100k+ would buy me a very very nice 2 maybe 3 car garage.

Good luck with the M3 buddy, sure you will enjoy it and if it ticks the boxes, who cares what us lot think :)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Can't believe I have only just seen this thread; congratulations man you won't be disappointed.

I was in the exact situation a few months ago and went for an M3 in similar spec as yours; I can honestly say, hand on heart, that this is the first car I would be happy to keep forever. Only disappointing thing is how quiet the exhaust is at low revs, but I'm hoping a 2 pipe mod will sort this when the weather gets better (even standard it sounds great over 4k rpm).

I can appreciate why some people in this thread would hate on the car, as it does look a bit boring compared to some of the choices here, but the engine is a masterpiece and is really well matched to the DCT box; if you want a car to enjoy driving you have made a great choice.

The only car I would be tempted to change it for at the moment is the R8, which would be even more money on top so I can't see it happening imminently. MPSS on the back gave a great deal more traction than the PS2s.

Have a good look at the manual as this was the first car I have ever found it useful to do so; loads of little tricks to learn particularly regarding the DCT. Finally, don't worry about the fuel consumption; I get about 20mpg on average when I was expecting about 14!

Congratulations :thumbs:

• Like 1

Congratulations Josh you finally made the choice.Look forward to seeing some more photos.

I once owned the E46 M3 which was a pretty pokey machine....got bored after six months and went back to a 330 coupe which I found more every day .

I,m sure you will thoroughly enjoy your new car and I,m very pleased you,re staying on the forum as your posts are always interesting.

Not at all as the 70 has many many improvements over the 50. For me the M didn't have much more going for it over the 70, the only thing I could pin point was that it was quicker but that alone wasn't worth the price for me.

I am sure it has other features that you learn to love but I only had a 20 minute test drive!