v-tec just kicked in .....yo ...... pg21

Bodyboarder81

Not quite as simple as bhp per tonne now is it guys, what about gearing etc

Well, yes it is actually. At regular speeds I'm going to stick my neck out and say that both cars have gearing vaguely the same: We're not talking about a Caterham here that tops out at 110 in 5th!

I have friends with Lambo that want to buy a GT-R :lol:

Are they blind then?

Nonsense, hence why a supercharged zed at around 300bhp per tonne would even come close to a gtr in std trim (yes 4wd) or a chipped 135i :)

Agree with the Lambo comment :)

You sold that unique beauty, the nicest 350z HR zed in UK to get an Uber taxi car? :cry:

Come on they are a great car !

Also once you start selling Bmw aftermarket stuff you'll probably love them ;) hahaha

I had:

318i - E46

330i ClubSport M Pack - E46

540i - E39

M5 - E39

Then I moved on, not a BMW fan anymore, sorry :D I love Nissan now as you know, next move would be a Lambo probably or McLaren, we shall see what the future brings. 370z was bloody amazing for what it cost. The GT-R is a different league, I have friends with Lambo that want to buy a GT-R :lol:

My pals mp4 12c gives the gtr a right run for it's money once into the twistys its just gone

• Like 1

Who cares anyway? Power contests is for pub debates, there's more to driving than which is quicker. It's the reason I'd take a Gallardo over a GT-R, or a GT86 over a FRS, or an standard Elise over a supercharged one.

Kind of my point really. the McLaren was down on power but the way it utilises that power is amazing and the way it makes you feel there just something so finger tippy about it

I know I know colossal price difference between the two .but you get my drift

No one really ..... Even if we all had 600 bhp we would all want more ! But I'm looking for a car out the box that fits my bill .... And the m3 is ticking most of them . Yes it's not the fastest or best looking but does what it does well . I have no doubt that a 1'series or charged 370/350 would be quicker but for a standard car it seems to be pretty good . As said though , I'll go see it , take a good drive , see where my heads at with it all and make a decision . If I do end up getting that white m3 ,'it's been offered to me for 27 .... Leaving enough money for maybe a dedicated track car to share with both my brother in laws . May be a lotus / vx or something along those lines with a budget of 5 k each to put into it .

Test drove the M235i recently with 8spd auto bix and sport suspension (can be set harder etc). OMG WHAT A CAR!! agree with everyrhing Doc says, absolute weapon, bmw approved power package takes them over 400bhp with warranty in tact and the warranty covers trackdays...... Once my house sells there may well be one appearing on the drive.

Macca is awesome, but at 3x the price of my GTR, its hard to justify it as a replacement ;) If I could justify the money though, it would definitely be on the list of cars to test. Had a go against one at ASDA at Bruntingthorpe this year. I was running a little under 610/610 and on dead MPSS tyres, no idea on the spec of the macca. Out of the corners and onto the straight there was almost nothing in it, but under brakes the macca was simply awesome, he could brake way later and way way harder thanks to the surf board on the back.

Was the ones your mates didn't get on with manual or dct Nic?

One was dct mate yes

My said it wasn't a bad car but he'd owned previous models and rs4s etc and it didn't float his boat

Listen or read guy Martins book he's sums up what I'm trying to say

He hated his

He says it was more suited to the golf club than the track unlike his previous csl

• Like 1

Macca is awesome, but at 3x the price of my GTR, its hard to justify it as a replacement ;) If I could justify the money though, it would definitely be on the list of cars to test. Had a go against one at ASDA at Bruntingthorpe this year. I was running a little under 610/610 and on dead MPSS tyres, no idea on the spec of the macca. Out of the corners and onto the straight there was almost nothing in it, but under brakes the macca was simply awesome, he could brake way later and way way harder thanks to the surf board on the back.

Ha ha that surf board made me jump and my buddy he looked to see if I was behind him under hard breaking and thought I was comming threw his rear screen lol

He hadn't seen it before

• Like 1

But that 430 in yours is with all bolt ons ... A gtr with a simple map would bring it to 580-600 bhp and 550ftlb ? A massive difference and the 4 wheel drive out of the corners ?

And at least £20K less in your pocket. Apples and climbing frames.

I would like to state for the record at this point that I am not saying my car is better or worse than a GTR, just I cant see why anyone would buy an E92 M3 instead :)

Because the m3 is better in my opinion out the box ....'where as a 1 isn't

Out of the box yes, but if you buy a 135 for £13K, drive to Birds and chuck £3K at them you get nearly the same spec as my car, its hardly 6 months of modding and the car youre looking at is £11K more than that.

The 1 with some bits thrown on it is the better car in every respect, apart from the brakes arent as good and the looks are subjective. All Im saying is try one as a comparison to the M3, ideally with suspension done and Im sure youll see where Im coming from.

What did you think when you drove the M135i? I drove one today as looking for a new toy soon, it is a absolute weapon in standard form it's quite a rocket. It's not exciting to look at IMO but a wolf in sleeps clothing for sure.

I find it difficult to see why people look past them, they are practical, economical, bloody fast and proper fun to drive. They miss an LSD badly but the 8 speed box is a dream, and all for the same money as a Golf GTI (which is also bloody good TBF) ......... Id probably have gone for a M235i if I didnt buy the 1er :)

Doc, if you were to add a few bolt on bits to the 135, what's the power you get? Something similar to the 660bhp you get on the 4.25 GTR I mean. Not touching the internals, just the normal, exhaust, breathing, injectors and mapping.

Mine is exactly that mate, new downpipes, hi flow cats/exhaust mid section and a remap, and those are the figures.

Hybrid turbo(s) will see 600hp apparently, injectors will see well beyond that and this is all without opening the engine, the beauties of a forged bottom end as standard :thumbs:

Mine is the N54 twin turbo BTW, the gains are not so big on the later N55 but good numbers for bugger all cash are still achievable. And it cost less than £17K with all of this done, sweet rims, M3 footwork and a few fancy pants carbon bits.

I would like to state for the record at this point that I am not saying my car is better or worse than a GTR, just I cant see why anyone would buy an E92 M3 instead :)

The problem with really upping the power on the N54/N55 engine is heat....The guys over the pound are mainly obsessed with drag strip runs, so as long as the car can last 10-20 seconds at WOT it's all good. But put it on track, or even on a twisty B road where your on/off the throttle much more aggressively and things start going wrong.

The biggest difference in the engine setup between the 135/235/335/435i cars and the current M3/M4 is the extra cooling the M cars get.

This is the heat exchangers on M car, 6 radiators.

16457827859_92678b25a3_c.jpg

Compared to a N54/55 car, 3.5 radiators.

16644048445_8209378324_c.jpg

As to mods/costs, don't forget your be lucky to get 50% back the cost of the mods you install, Mitz's will testify to how much £££ I wasted on the 335i. It is/was the best petrol car I've ever owned and I wouldn't say on the road a M3/M4 was any quicker. But if your talking about a car designed for the track like a GTR - Sorry but after 1 lap when your tuned BMW goes into limp mode due to overheating you wouldn't see which way the GTR went.

You can get around some of the heat issue with water/methanol injection, but than you have to setup a methanol/water tank, pump, run it all through a piggyback controller, but if you bugger up the install (or something leaks) your have a nicely toasted in-line 6 to look at :).

24515044050_530626efe0_z.jpg

BMW are officially going with water injection for the GTS, but your still have to remember to keep the water topped up.

http://www.gizmag.co...w-m4-gts/39736/

Still, it all depends on what your after in your car, for me on track performance is pointless so had no interest in replacing the 335i with a M car. However if you want a car that can do absolutely everything from going down to the shops to flying around a race track, I suspect nothing will come close to a GTR for the £ (Not even a Tesla :)).

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Thats all well and good, but whats does the M3 get if you give it a few breathing mods and a remap? I know the m4 makes gains over at Litchfield

The V8? Not a lot, an induction kit alone is ££££'s as well, we all know about M3 exhaust prices too :scare:

The S55 versions? They are MENTAL once mapped apparently :lol:

The problem with really upping the power on the N54/N55 engine is heat.... Sorry but after 1 lap when your tuned BMW goes into limp mode due to overheating you wouldn't see which way the GTR went.

Errrr ......... you do realise I actually own this car and did a blazing hot day at Rockingham last year? IIRC it got too hot on one run, this is with standard cooling and no oil cooler, the guy who had it before me did plenty of days including Nurburgring and Spa .........

The biggest difference in the engine setup between the 135/235/335/435i cars and the current M3/M4 is the extra cooling the M cars get

The current M cars have a totally different engine, Id say thats fairly major. They also list at £55K which is a fair difference as well.

As to mods/costs, don't forget your be lucky to get 50% back the cost of the mods you install, Mitz's will testify to how much £££ I wasted on the 335i.

And this is my point entirely, the total outlay for suspension, diff and remap, even buying everything brand new will be the right side of £3K. I spent more than that on an engine rebuild for my 200SX, without management, ancillaries or a clutch, never mind suspension and diff :lol:

I refer you back to the last paragraph on my previous post - a 135i is not going to be a GTR beater on track, and wont come close to a slightly breathed on F82 M4 no matter what you do to it. However, I cant think of anything else that will get you this level of performance, comfort and particularly driving enjoyment for so little outlay - if youre looking at spending upwards of £20K on an E92 M3 then Id strongly advise taking a second look at the 1 and 2 series, they are more fun for less cost.

You can get around some of the heat issue with water/methanol injection, but than you have to setup a methanol/water tank, pump, run it all through a piggyback controller, but if you bugger up the install (or something leaks) your have a nicely toasted in-line 6 to look at :).

Water injection or water/meth is incredibly simple or can be, no need for anything as complicated as a piggyback controller, its pretty much plug and play and operates of boost pressure, or if you want to get fancy you can have progressive controllers.