Nissan GTR...bit of a let down?

Meeerrrk

To be fair, I could own a McClaren P1 and 97% of the time it won't be exciting, but those 3% are what makes me want one.

Im sorry, but I reckon most would be sporting a permanent erection just sitting in a P1, even pulling it out of your garage would be an event. Thats exactly the point Im getting at, something like a Murcielago will always be reminding you its a supercar, whereas a GTR is only a supercar when you give it the beans.

the M135i was an awesome car for the money - very quick and not far off the 1M in that aspect

M135i is a faster car in a straight line ............. but this also illustrates the point above beautifully, M135i feels like a fast 1 series, the 1M feels like something entirely different as soon as you get 20 yards down the road.

• Like 1

To be fair, I could own a McClaren P1 and 97% of the time it won't be exciting, but those 3% are what makes me want one.

Im sorry, but I reckon most would be sporting a permanent erection just sitting in a P1, even pulling it out of your garage would be an event. Thats exactly the point Im getting at, something like a Murcielago will always be reminding you its a supercar, whereas a GTR is only a supercar when you give it the beans.

the M135i was an awesome car for the money - very quick and not far off the 1M in that aspect

M135i is a faster car in a straight line ............. but this also illustrates the point above beautifully, M135i feels like a fast 1 series, the 1M feels like something entirely different as soon as you get 20 yards down the road.

Maybe the P1 was a bad example, but it's in a whole other league.

I watch an episode of US Top Gear where the fat one was trying to drive a new Lambo in the city. It's was very uncomfortable because it kept kangarooing each time he went to move forward a bit in traffic. So, although it's more of a supercar than the GTR, it's not as useable as a daily or even in the odd bit of Sunday traffic.

As much as I'd love a Merci or Gallardo, it would get on my nerves if I couldn't use it for daily driving as well, the GTR excels in all aspects, although not as exciting unless pushing it.

Edited by KyleR

Maybe the P1 was a bad example, but it's in a whole other league.

I watch an episode of US Top Gear where the fat one was trying to drive a new Lambo in the city. It's was very uncomfortable because it kept kangarooing each time he went to move forward a bit in traffic. So, although it's more of a supercar than the GTR, it's not as useable as a daily or even in the odd bit of Sunday traffic.

As much as I'd love a Merci or Gallardo, it would get on my nerves if I couldn't use it for icy driving as well, the GTR excels in all aspects, although not as exciting unless pushing it.

The "quote" re the M135 which I think is a BMW ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ was not made by me.

I have not got a clue about BMWs as they have too many geeky numbers and all look the same. :stir:

As much as I'd love a Merci or Gallardo, it would get on my nerves if I couldn't use it for icy driving as well, the GTR excels in all aspects, although not as exciting unless pushing it.

Thats the kicker though, for a lot of people (myself included) the drive is more important than anything else. Hence Ive owned 3 Lancias and want an Alfa next year :lol:

As an all rounder the GTR is an amazing achievement but Id take a rusty old Italian that only starts half the time and has never actually reached its intended destination without breaking everytime :lol:

Mind you, the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi I used to have back in the day had exactly the same problem. They had such a lumpy idle that in traffic you either stalled it or kept kangarooing forward.

Well technically, that is what the GTR was designed to do. It was designed to put supercars in their place and still be as easy to drive as a Vauxhall Corsa! I have owned my GTR since 2011, bought it new and I have not looked back, love it!!! I was tired of modding cars (have had 470bhp supra, 380bhp impreza) and was considering an Aston. Then a friend suggested I test drive the GTR....... now 2.5 years later, the car has been mildly tweaked and is still going perfectly. Runs around 620bhp, I do 7500 miles a year, track days (drive to the track, drive home from the track) and in all honesty, I would happily hand the keys to mom so she could go to the shop.

A lot will depend on the version of the car you took out and what map it was running. I can choose different fuel maps from the steering wheel (95-99ron maps) and I can change the boost (0.5bar up 1.7bar - I think its 1.7bar). I run 0.5bar in the winter, as it was too easy to get the wheels spinning with full boost.

The traction control can be a right pain, but the new Litchfield traction control is MUCH better!!! The gearbox map will also make a big difference, as well the normal or race mode setting on the day.

The GTR is not for everyone, but I like it because I can use it everyday, motorways, road trips (going to be doing a 2 week road trip in May doing nearly 2000 miles with the odd track day inbetween).... It just does everything so well!!

Sadly, my guess is that you were in normal gearbox, normal suspension and normal for the traction control.... and really life in a GTR gets very entertaining in race mode for everything :D

Where are you based? Any questions, feel free to PM me ;)

lastly, this is all in my opinion and I am obviously biased, since I own and love the GTR.... trackday video (any chance I get to post it):-

th_myGTR_driveby_comparedtoothers.jpg

Not sure I could ever bring my self to spend £40k on any car, but I cannot see how you can find a GTR not engaging to drive.

I think your over analysing things. Personally I find it hard to work out just what a car is really like till I've owned it for 6 months+. These days I don't even bother test driving cars because I just find I learn so little from a test drive. The first time I drove my current car was after I had paid for it in full and leaving the show room. Just save up the money and get the GTR I doubt your be disappointed ;)

Oh apparently the M135i is on TopGear this weekend and it set a lap time that's identical to the lap time of the current E92 M3....quite how a 320 BHP hot hatch with some M badges stuck on can equal the laptime of a car with 100 BHP extra, and a proper LSD I'm not sure!!

My mate just bought a c63 amg and it's epic.

I am like you with the e46 still being my top car I've owned but this c63 is just epic

He done a launch control start the other day that I filmed. We are luck as we work on a disused air field

My mate just bought a c63 amg and it's epic.

I am like you with the e46 still being my top car I've owned but this c63 is just epic

He done a launch control start the other day that I filmed. We are luck as we work on a disused air field

Nice car, but I have a mate that had a CL63 and had a lot of issues. Saying that, a C63 or SL63 is still on my list :)

My neighbour has one, I have told him about this thread on here and he's

agree I can have a go in his on Sunday morn early, so we don't have traffic problems. :yahoo:

Went out this morning in my neighbours GTR, had a blast around the M11 to M25 then home via A13 and North Circular.

What a superb car, if I had a spare £40k then yes would buy one. :yahoo:

agree I can have a go in his on Sunday morn early, so we don't have traffic problems. :yahoo:

Went out this morning in my neighbours GTR, had a blast around the M11 to M25 then home via A13 and North Circular.

:worthless:

• Like 1

I thrashed a GT-R around silverstone for a day and loved it. The car was unreal and is very entertaining and the levels of grip never ceased to amaze. A week or 2 later I was in a Lamborghini 560-4 and it felt great but wasn't as good as the GT-R in my opinion and of the race instructors.

• Like 1

:worthless:

Oh no, here we go again!

:lol:

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 2

Question for re the gtr and any other exotica at this price level is not the buying, it's the maintenance. I think you've really got to experience the highest highs to warrant spending 6-10k(?) a year keeping these machines tiptop. If it's going to be humdrum 97% of the time i would (personally) find a 4k bill twice a year irksome in that context. Nice problem to have though :)