Nissan GTR...bit of a let down?

Meeerrrk

Tyres - £1000 (MPSS)

Brake Pads - £500-700

Brake Discs - £1500-2500

Service costs - £400-600

Fuel - 15mpg

Running costs depend how many miles you do really, I only do 4000-5000 miles a year so tyres will last 18 months at least and brakes every 24 months unless I'm tracking the car.

There are a few issues with the cars that crop up such as bellhousing fix (£700), gearbox solenoid issues (~£500 with transmission fluid).

About right... assuming thats discs allround and not just fronts, even then, should be able to bring that down a little. Better to estimate on the high side :)

And my MPG seems to be a little higher than yours :( must try harder in the future!! 21-22

I have had the bellhousing done, could have had it done under warranty (even with the modified car), but chose to pay for the Litchfield solution as it was a solution.

Edited by grahamc

Tyres - £1000 (MPSS)

Brake Pads - £500-700

Brake Discs - £1500-2500

Service costs - £400-600

Fuel - 15mpg

Running costs depend how many miles you do really, I only do 4000-5000 miles a year so tyres will last 18 months at least and brakes every 24 months unless I'm tracking the car.

There are a few issues with the cars that crop up such as bellhousing fix (£700), gearbox solenoid issues (~£500 with transmission fluid).

Many other expensive sports cars and GTs will have similar running costs but I think the difference is (correct me if I'm wrong) that the GTR seems to be "a way of life" and an end in itself, attracting more of the hobbyist driver than say a typical Continential GT, XKR or 997 owner?

DT

Most GTR owners I know are people who like to tinker. I was never into modding cars until I got my 350z and since then I don't think I could get something like an Jag or Porsche as they just don't fall under the modding category for me. It seems all the fun of pissing money up the wall on modding is to be had in Jap cars.

If you want a badge, get a Porsche.

If you want comfort, get a Jag or Maserati.

If you want to constantly mod, get something Jap.

I reckon my next car will be a Maserati but I just can't see it for a few years as I don't yearn for the comfort yet and if I say I drive a Nissan to someone, I'm not arsed.

See, that's what I don't get. There's nowhere I can't/wouldn't take the 911: Car parks, multi storey, country dirt roads, seriously tight lanes on the IoM, anywhere. I don't see the point in owning a car that you can use every day and then being limited as to where you can go with it.

I tend to form a deep loving relationship with my cars in which I refuse to put it at risk of any damage by scrotes. I spend hours lovingly polishing and caring for my car and try to keep it in absolutely mint condition. Therefore, if I was to park it in tescos and have some scumbag scratch it with their shopping trolley I would be gutted. I get upset when a bird dumps on it, let alone if it got dented/scratched. This doesnt stop me from going out, enjoying my car and in fact I use it every single day for work rather than it being a weekend "toy".

If it was some old banger car then sure, id not really care where I parked it, but when its your pride & joy and one of the most expensive purchases you have ever made, I want to keep it in perfect condition. Theres also the hassle, inconvenience & cost of any repairs should someone run into it with their trolley etc.

Same way I feel. I don't think one way of viewing this is better necessarily - it's just how you feel. I totally get the argument of the people who say use it all the time and don't stress but that's just not how my mind works :)

Edited by sipar69

I do get what you guys are saying, but:

Park at the far end of car parks, and walk further

Birds sh*t everywhere, even when you're driving

My car is also mint, using it doesn't ruin it

Nothing is cooler than driving a decent car to the chip shop

Except maybe a filthy dirty covered in mud car that shows the car isn't a garage queen

So this:

Lamborghini+Gallardo+Yellow+Carpark.jpg

Is cooler than this:

lamborghini-gallardo-lp560-4-c924721102013005205_3.jpg

But not as cool as this:

82027e3e3745232a35698d9902139fc2.jpg

:D

All tongue-in-cheek, no offence meant :)

• Like 2

Nothing is cooler than driving a decent car to the chip shop.....

Woah, let me stop you there. Theres no way id be collecting grub from the chip shop in my car. My god, the car would stink of fish & chips for weeks. :scare: :scare: :scare::lol:

Tyres - £1000 (MPSS)

Brake Pads - £500-700

Brake Discs - £1500-2500

Service costs - £400-600

Fuel - 15mpg

Good info, but confirmed what i already know, am far too poor to even consider looking at one let alone run one :(

I think I've reached my motoring glass celling, it seems like the only cars I would consider replacing my 335 with all have double the running costs and half the mpg. Oh well can still dream on :)

Edited by gangzoom

Interesting replys...thanks for all your comments. I knew it would stir up some unfavorable comments but I'm surprised I haven't been called a dick a bit more :D

I've fully calculated running costs and have plenty spare to cover maintenance and fuel etc.

I don't do many miles, currently about 300 a month (I cycle to work 3-4 times a week) and my mrs has a half decent car (something called a 350z ... You may have heard of them) so my car will be used when I want, not need.

I don't want a 'supercar' I'm not interested in owning a Ferrari etc, I just love GTRs, the fact people label it as a super car (regardless if it is, or is not) is purely coincidental.

Need another go in one ... I WILL love one :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meeerrrk
  • Like 1

21-22?! Jesus, highest I've had is 18 but I average 15. That's a Litchfield Stage 4 + downpipes.

Hahaa... Im on similar mods :) I just have K&N drop-ins instead of the intakes.

Tyres - £1000 (MPSS)

Brake Pads - £500-700

Brake Discs - £1500-2500

Service costs - £400-600

Fuel - 15mpg

Many other expensive sports cars and GTs will have similar running costs but I think the difference is (correct me if I'm wrong) that the GTR seems to be "a way of life" and an end in itself, attracting more of the hobbyist driver than say a typical Continential GT, XKR or 997 owner?

DT

It does seem that way.... a lot of the GTR owners have come from the Lambo, Ferraris, etc to the GTR so dont mind spending a bit extra on the car.

Most GTR owners I know are people who like to tinker. I was never into modding cars until I got my 350z and since then I don't think I could get something like an Jag or Porsche as they just don't fall under the modding category for me. It seems all the fun of pissing money up the wall on modding is to be had in Jap cars.

If you want a badge, get a Porsche.

If you want comfort, get a Jag or Maserati.

If you want to constantly mod, get something Jap.

I reckon my next car will be a Maserati but I just can't see it for a few years as I don't yearn for the comfort yet and if I say I drive a Nissan to someone, I'm not arsed.

I saw a maserati in the city last night, awesome noise!!!!

Oddly, I like saying that I drive a Nissan, its easy and simple :) Only car people really know what a GTR is.....

Except maybe a filthy dirty covered in mud car that shows the car isn't a garage queen

So this:

Is cooler than this:

lamborghini-gallardo-lp560-4-c924721102013005205_3.jpg

But not as cool as this:

82027e3e3745232a35698d9902139fc2.jpg

:D

All tongue-in-cheek, no offence meant :)

Hahahaa.... I have never seen a parking space that size (the yellow lambo pic) in the UK... except for the "I have kids and require a MASSIVE 4x4" morrison spaces.

Do park miles away when I go to BlueWater of something.... its the ones where you will probably scrape the wheels on Fiesta because the turns are so tight and the driveways so narrow.

Would love to take a lambo rallying!!!! That would be bl00dy awesome!!!!!!!

Interesting replys...thanks for all your comments. I knew it would stir up some unfavorable comments but I'm surprised I haven't been called a dick a bit more :D

I've fully calculated running costs and have plenty spare to cover maintenance and fuel etc.

I don't do many miles, currently about 300 a month (I cycle to work 3-4 times a week) and my mrs has a half decent car (something called a 350z ... You may have heard of them) so my car will be used when I want, not need.

I don't want a 'supercar' I'm not interested in owning a Ferrari etc, I just love GTRs, the fact people label it as a super car (regardless if it is, or is not) is purely coincidental.

Need another go in one ... I WILL love one :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick...... better? ;)

GTR owners (for the most part) are just car enthusiasts, which what makes owning one great!

GTR is not a supercar, its more of GT car, but still a super car ;)

So this:

100% agree. I love my cars as much as the next person but once you start shunning entire parks because your cars too precious, its borderline ridiculous. My cars have been everywhere with me;

Vids008-1.jpg

I think it endears you to other people when they see you not being snotty over your car, no one likes the ****er in the corner of the car car taking up two spaces in case anyone parks near him............

• Like 1

I would never take up two spaces but if avoiding car parks where a car I've spent a lot of money on is at risk of damage (which happened twice to my last Z) is 'borderline ridiculous' I'll happily wear that label. It's hardly like I'm denying myself one of life's great pleasures by not driving on a congested road to the local supermarket when I can get what I need by walking there or having the stuff delivered.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the proportion of people in your average supermarket car park who would find the sight of something like a Lamborghini "endearing" because they infer that the driver isn't a snob is likely to be smaller than the proportion of people who are careless with their own car or shopping trolley or resent the sight of a car they will never be able to afford.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I would never take up two spaces but if avoiding car parks where a car I've spent a lot of money on is at risk of damage (which happened twice to my last Z) is 'borderline ridiculous' I'll happily wear that label. It's hardly like I'm denying myself one of life's great pleasures by not driving on a congested road to the local supermarket when I can get what I need by walking there or having the stuff delivered.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the proportion of people in your average supermarket car park who would find the sight of something like a Lamborghini "endearing" because they infer that the driver isn't a snob is likely to be smaller than the proportion of people who are careless with their own car or shopping trolley or resent the sight of a car they will never be able to afford.

Completely agree

Dude, cars are made of metal, not paper. If you love your car so much then why deny yourself even a moments usage?? All the graft that goes in to buying it and then you would rather walk to the shops for fear of a shopping trolley is 100% ridiculous.

• Like 1

Dude, cars are made of metal, not paper. If you love your car so much then why deny yourself even a moments usage?? All the graft that goes in to buying it and then you would rather walk to the shops for fear of a shopping trolley is 100% ridiculous.

Its not about the quantity of time behind the wheel, its the quality of time.... I dont care whether I drive the GTR, 350z or Fiesta to Morrisons, its a 4 mile drive, in traffic and 30 zones. Why bother........ its the same as my morning commute to the train station, its 3.2 miles each way and pointless taking the GTR, the car barely warms up by then - hence the 350z purchase.