Nissan GTR...bit of a let down?

Meeerrrk

@TomS it depends on the car. Merc does a great job of making 600bhp pretty uninspiring in the e63. A very large amount of excess weight, auto-shifting, safety technology, muffling and soundproofing numbing what should be a visceral experience. Electric drive is only going to make things worse...

My neighbour has one, I have told him about this thread on here and he's

agree I can have a go in his on Sunday morn early, so we don't have traffic problems. :yahoo:

Went out this morning in my neighbours GTR, had a blast around the M11 to M25 then home via A13 and North Circular.

What a superb car, if I had a spare £40k then yes would buy one. :yahoo:

:worthless:

Oh no, here we go again!

:lol:

:shrug: erm nope not meant to be a 'calling custard' moment - purely like pics of R35s :teeth:

If i was dropping £40k I'd be making damn sure it was what I wanted. Fourtunatly the 30k i spent on the Zed turned out to be a great decision, as obviously I could have got any number of Porkers or other sports cars for that.

• Like 1

If 600 ponies doesn't excite you then you're dead inside :p I'm slightly biased as I own one but every single time I drive that car I love it.

Pics?

Richard_Luke_Photography_Edited_2.jpg

615hp / 625lb-ft. Does the job :)

Edited by TomS
  • Like 10

Thanks :) The rear is my favourite, has a lovely carbon fibre diffuser! Going to be getting wrapped this year and all the carbon goodies I have in the garage will be going on it :teeth:

Not had a single person in the car not giggle like a school girl or bollock me (the missus) when I put my foot down :lol: and that's without even having to go round a corner with them in the car!

• Like 1

Question for re the gtr and any other exotica at this price level is not the buying, it's the maintenance. I think you've really got to experience the highest highs to warrant spending 6-10k(?) a year keeping these machines tiptop. If it's going to be humdrum 97% of the time i would (personally) find a 4k bill twice a year irksome in that context. Nice problem to have though :)

They are expensive to maintain, but what 600+bhp car is not? Tyres have come down a lot in price.... brakes aftermarket are the only way (and cheaper than Nissans)... not many faults or issues, the big expense, is if the modding bug bites!! 600-630bhp is easy and cheap after that it gets expensive, very very expensive!

Servicing at a good indy is the best option.... much cheaper than Nissan and better service. Sly is fantastic (on here as a trader as well)

If 600 ponies doesn't excite you then you're dead inside :p I'm slightly biased as I own one but every single time I drive that car I love it.

Pics?

Awesome looking car.... similar power to mine and does the job well

Thanks :) The rear is my favourite, has a lovely carbon fibre diffuser! Going to be getting wrapped this year and all the carbon goodies I have in the garage will be going on it :teeth:

Not had a single person in the car not giggle like a school girl or bollock me (the missus) when I put my foot down :lol: and that's without even having to go round a corner with them in the car!

Whos doing the wrap? Colour? More carbon goodies..... nice! Thinking about changing the wheels?

• Like 1

Going to get Paul @ PW Pro to wrap the car, still to decide on the exact colour though. Needs to be pearlescent as the gloss wraps don't have anywhere near the depth of paint and to me they just look like a shoddy paint job. The other option is satin/matte but I think I'd miss the shine too much! I'm hoping there is a very close pearlescent match to Volcano Orange, but need to go over to PW Pro to see what they have, and it's a 2 hour drive each way.

Wheels, I'm tempted by the TSW Nurburgring in matte gunmetal or BBS CH-R. I think the BBS aren't forged though so I'll probably go for the TSW's.

Carbon wise, it'll be rear diffusers, front splitter, bonnet vents, side vents, skirts and grill. Should look good, if I can decide on a bloody colour!

Mc_Laren_P1_Volcano_Orange_front_end_2_2013_Rode.jpg

That colour + carbon is just B)

Edited by TomS

I had chance to have a good look around a GTR when I visited Abbey recently. Much as I love them in pictures and for what they can do I can't escape the nagging feeling that they're just too big for our roads. I already find the Z a fair size on country roads, which is where much of my driving is done. Be interested to know if any owners have had issues with the size.

Going to get Paul @ PW Pro to wrap the car, still to decide on the exact colour though. Needs to be pearlescent as the gloss wraps don't have anywhere near the depth of paint and to me they just look like a shoddy paint job. The other option is satin/matte but I think I'd miss the shine too much! I'm hoping there is a very close pearlescent match to Volcano Orange, but need to go over to PW Pro to see what they have, and it's a 2 hour drive each way.

Wheels, I'm tempted by the TSW Nurburgring in matte gunmetal or BBS CH-R. I think the BBS aren't forged though so I'll probably go for the TSW's.

Carbon wise, it'll be rear diffusers, front splitter, bonnet vents, side vents, skirts and grill. Should look good, if I can decide on a bloody colour!

Mc_Laren_P1_Volcano_Orange_front_end_2_2013_Rode.jpg

That colour + carbon is just B)

Now that is a cool colour! I will eventually wrap mine, but like the red too much right now.

The satin colours change too much for my liking in direct sunlight... I do like the WR blue (impreza) and the orange.

I am tempted by the TSWs, but the need to run a spacer to get the wheels sitting flush with body work puts me off. Still tempted though :) will need some track wheels soon

I had chance to have a good look around a GTR when I visited Abbey recently. Much as I love them in pictures and for what they can do I can't escape the nagging feeling that they're just too big for our roads. I already find the Z a fair size on country roads, which is where much of my driving is done. Be interested to know if any owners have had issues with the size.

it is big.... but all new cars are big/huge!!! Most 4x4s see the GTR coming down a country road and dive off into the mud for me :) only issue I have had, is that some places have rather small parking spaces and I refuse to take the car into these multi-storey car parks (too many aggressive pavements, inclines, declines, etc. Other than that, not had any issues on the roads.

Going from a 350z to a GTR helped a lot as I always felt the 350z was wide and I'll take the GTR anywhere I would've taken the 350z. I won't go in multi-storey car parks, as I scrapped the tits off my 350z, but I will go in a standard car park. It's a squeeze but I park my car in Manchester city centre most days in a standard NCP/ECP and it's been ok so far :)

I'm mainly wanting to wrap mine as it's black, and the black paint is made of soft cheese. I can't wash the bloody thing without putting swirls on it, and that is with the worlds softest mitt. I had bird crap on the car for 24 hours and it's left a mark on the paint, it's insanely soft.

I've got a set of MPSS in the garage so I might put them on new wheels and use the OEM ones as track wheels with the Bridgestones on, if they last the CATDT day in April.

Edited by TomS

Interesting. I guess it's just a case of pick your routes and parking places carefully which is what I tend to do now anyway. I never leave the car in public car parks if I can help and wouldn't go within a mile of a multi-storey! :)

See, that's what I don't get. There's nowhere I can't/wouldn't take the 911: Car parks, multi storey, country dirt roads, seriously tight lanes on the IoM, anywhere. I don't see the point in owning a car that you can use every day and then being limited as to where you can go with it.

• Like 1

If I didn't feel I could use it every day driving in and out of Manchester, and parking it all day in a car park or on the street, I wouldn't own it. Not had a single issue with it since I bought it which compared to my 350z is great as that scrapped on bloody everything and the stretched tyres meant the wheels weren't protected much from kerbs.

As Ekona says, I couldn't see the point owning a car that I care for so much that I wouldn't take it to Tesco on a busy Saturday morning and parking it between a couple of bangers. Can't be doing with constant stress, I just use the bloody thing!

• Like 1

Fair enough but that's how I feel about mine. Prefer not to take the risk and I quite like the fact that when I take the car out I'm doing it for pleasure. If need to get shopping etc I just pick it up on the way back from the station - I pass three supermarkets every day on the way home from work and I wouldn't drive to the Strand for work regardless of the car I drive. I don't need the Z for practical purposes so I don't use it for them. If I did, I would :)

Edited by sipar69

My Zed is a weekend car but i do take it to the supermarket and car parks.But i am however a bit picky as to where i leave it as the last time i left it in a busy supermarket car park. Some numpty put a nice door dink in it, after i'd just got it back from the body shop the day before!

Going from a 350z to a GTR helped a lot as I always felt the 350z was wide and I'll take the GTR anywhere I would've taken the 350z. I won't go in multi-storey car parks, as I scrapped the tits off my 350z, but I will go in a standard car park. It's a squeeze but I park my car in Manchester city centre most days in a standard NCP/ECP and it's been ok so far :)

I'm mainly wanting to wrap mine as it's black, and the black paint is made of soft cheese. I can't wash the bloody thing without putting swirls on it, and that is with the worlds softest mitt. I had bird crap on the car for 24 hours and it's left a mark on the paint, it's insanely soft.

I've got a set of MPSS in the garage so I might put them on new wheels and use the OEM ones as track wheels with the Bridgestones on, if they last the CATDT day in April.

I have some horrible car parks around my way, that I struggled with in the supra - had to repair and respray the front bumper a few times. GTR has more clearance than the supra...

I just dont like numptys denting the crap out of my car because they couldnt care less.

Fortunately the red isnt that bad... still gets detailed once a year though :)

Good idea...

See, that's what I don't get. There's nowhere I can't/wouldn't take the 911: Car parks, multi storey, country dirt roads, seriously tight lanes on the IoM, anywhere. I don't see the point in owning a car that you can use every day and then being limited as to where you can go with it.

I see many reasons to own specific cars that I would not drive everyday.... but I dont blame you for taking the 911 EVERYWHERE, I would ;)

• Like 1

I must admit, when I went to Sly's late last year, he removed a GTR from the workshop to do some work on my zed, and it made it look small! (it was for sale too at some price north of £30,000). The presence those things have on the road is immense. Love to own one eventually.

Odd car admittedly, they will wipe the floor with most cars whilst being "normal", get them in race mode and its a different animal but (a standard one at least) doesn't feel as raw as a traditional sports car, but that's the entire point. The car is stuffed to the brim with electronics to make it 1. as fast as possible and 2. as easy to drive as possible.

Pics?

Looks amazing, just indulge me, running costs excluding mods/depreciation, would £2-3k a year cover it??

If I owned that I would take it everywhere, so much nicer/special than some more 'common' German sports car you see almost everywhere :p

Tyres - £1000 (MPSS)

Brake Pads - £500-700

Brake Discs - £1500-2500

Service costs - £400-600

Fuel - 15mpg

Running costs depend how many miles you do really, I only do 4000-5000 miles a year so tyres will last 18 months at least and brakes every 24 months unless I'm tracking the car.

There are a few issues with the cars that crop up such as bellhousing fix (£700), gearbox solenoid issues (~£500 with transmission fluid).

• Like 2

Tyres - £1000 (MPSS)

Brake Pads - £500-700

Brake Discs - £1500-2500

Service costs - £400-600

Fuel - 15mpg

Running costs depend how many miles you do really, I only do 4000-5000 miles a year so tyres will last 18 months at least and brakes every 24 months unless I'm tracking the car.

Good info that :) .

I tend to form a deep loving relationship with my cars in which I refuse to put it at risk of any damage by scrotes. I spend hours lovingly polishing and caring for my car and try to keep it in absolutely mint condition. Therefore, if I was to park it in tescos and have some scumbag scratch it with their shopping trolley I would be gutted. I get upset when a bird dumps on it, let alone if it got dented/scratched. This doesnt stop me from going out, enjoying my car and in fact I use it every single day for work rather than it being a weekend "toy".

If it was some old banger car then sure, id not really care where I parked it, but when its your pride & joy and one of the most expensive purchases you have ever made, I want to keep it in perfect condition. Theres also the hassle, inconvenience & cost of any repairs should someone run into it with their trolley etc.