Nissan GTR...bit of a let down?

Meeerrrk

For the last 12 months I've been saving to put a big chunk down on a GTR so I could get one without having it on finance.

The plan was/is to run my daily run about car into the ground for 2 years and buy a GTR in April 2015. That took a bit of a blow when I decided I couldn't face the Vectra for 2 yrs and bought a "cheap" 118d BMW...much nicer to live with so I'm a bit happier...plus I can drive the Mrs' Zed from time to time and I've got a track toy to keep me happy.

On Wednesday I went to Brands hatch to drive a GTR for the first time....kind of to make sure I was saving for the right car....

....But I was sorely dissapointed!

I had the opportunity to really push the car as hard as I and the instructor were comfortable with, and he could tell I was able to drive fast so was encouraging me to push. But it felt very bland, fast and smooth, but not all that exciting.

I've driven some exotic cars in the last year, R8, 458 Italia, LP560, XKR R-S etc, so maybe I was expecting too much from it?

One of my favourite cars that I've owned was an e46 M3 ... It was raw, mechanical, sounded amazing and felt a bit special, maybe I need to find something a bit more like that.

Having owned two 1 series BMWs (my pervious was a 123d, amazing machine really) I am fond of the drive they offer (although not the looks so much!) ... I've always liked the 1M Coupe, so will see if I can get a test drive of one of those, although they are super rare.

So I'm now not so sure that I would be doing the right thing by spending £40k on a used GTR....it's not a bad problem to have but I'm really dissapointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To fully enjoy the R35 GT-R on track you require the suspension and transmission in race mode and the traction fully switched off.

You also should select manual mode and get those paddles working.

If you drive the R35 properly you will not be disappointed. :teeth:

Alex. :)

By the car that excites you, not the one that ticks the boxes.

E46 CSL would be a very special car, for half the price too and far more usable on the roads. Tbh, if a GTR on track doesn't set you alight the first time then it's probably not going to on the road, which is where I'm guessing it'll spend most of it's time?

E46 CSL would be a very special car, for half the price too and far more usable on the roads. Tbh, if a GTR on track doesn't set you alight the first time then it's probably not going to on the road, which is where I'm guessing it'll spend most of it's time?

That's my other thought, maybe the on track experience wasn't a fair one considering it would probably do 2/3 track days a year and be used on the road 95% of the time???or would that just make it even more bland!?

Never thought I'd be calling a GTR bland! Shoot me!

M3 CSL would be good that's true, I did love my E46.

I know it sounds spoilt and hard to please but when you've saved your hard earned and put this much money into a car, it's got to be the right one!

Not at all mate, it's a fair comment and you're absolutely right. Can I tempt you into a lovingly looked after 997.2 C2S at all? Semi-serious, actually.

I think if it doesn't shine at maximum attack, then it's not likely to at road speeds. My own personal opinion though.

To fully enjoy the R35 GT-R on track you require the suspension and transmission in race mode and the traction fully switched off.

I had it in full manual but I don't know what mode the transmission and suspension were in, I wasn't allowed to touch any of that.

To be honest I could have got a better feel for it without the instructor, I was a bit tense with him next to me. I need to try one on the road for a couple of hours with mixed driving I think :)

That's my other thought, maybe the on track experience wasn't a fair one considering it would probably do 2/3 track days a year and be used on the road 95% of the time???or would that just make it even more bland!?

Never thought I'd be calling a GTR bland! Shoot me!

M3 CSL would be good that's true, I did love my E46.

I know it sounds spoilt and hard to please but when you've saved your hard earned and put this much money into a car, it's got to be the right one!

It doesn't sound spoilt at all, I think you're expectations rise inline with you're budget and so they should :thumbs:

at the end of the day it's you're money and no matter what anyone elses opinion says, it's yours that counts

Edited by GIXXERUK

I had it in full manual but I don't know what mode the transmission and suspension were in, I wasn't allowed to touch any of that.

To be honest I could have got a better feel for it without the instructor, I was a bit tense with him next to me. I need to try one on the road for a couple of hours with mixed driving I think :)

You've made a good point about the instructor. Do you think you were pushing the car as hard as you were capable of with him there? I'm pretty sure all cars can be exciting when you push them to either your or the cars limit, whichever is lower.

I took one for a no holds barred test drive and if you fail to find it exciting when giving it MAXIMUM ATTACK then youre probably dead :lol:

However, I wouldnt buy one because I found the 97% of the time you arent giving it the max it didnt feel much more exciting than a mid size Audi. I concurred that as losing my license and probably getting banged up or cartwheeling into a field at 180mph werent the best of ideas I probably shouldnt buy one :lol:

• Like 2

You've made a good point about the instructor. Do you think you were pushing the car as hard as you were capable of with him there? I'm pretty sure all cars can be exciting when you push them to either your or the cars limit, whichever is lower.

My limit is certainly less than the cars, let's be clear about that! It's an amazing machine, very fast and capable.

It just didn't excite me like I hoped. I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong.

If it was my car, on my own terms, I would have gone faster without doubt, for many reasons like feeling comfortable in the car, knowing how it handles, and not having someone sat there who is ultimately judging you.

I'm thinking about it hiring one for a day now.

I can't believe you'd rather an e46 M3! Sounds like madness to me, but at the end of the day its what excites you that matters!

I didn't say I'd rather have one, I was just trying to explain what I like in a car :)

Been there, done that :D

I took one for a no holds barred test drive and if you fail to find it exciting when giving it MAXIMUM ATTACK then youre probably dead :lol:

However, I wouldnt buy one because I found the 97% of the time you arent giving it the max it didnt feel much more exciting than a mid size Audi. I concurred that as losing my license and probably getting banged up or cartwheeling into a field at 180mph werent the best of ideas I probably shouldnt buy one :lol:

I think that's it, the 97% of the time thing! I'm glad you know what I mean - I was feeling a bit stupid :D

This, I think it's hard to make a judgement call when you have someone next to you. I personally would go out again but with a session on your own or something. Or as Alex says, go out in a car as a passenger of someone who will push it to it's limits :)

This, I think it's hard to make a judgement call when you have someone next to you. I personally would go out again but with a session on your own or something. Or as Alex says, go out in a car as a passenger of someone who will push it to it's limits :)

I'm a TERRIBLE passenger, even on the road!!

Can you put the R8 in the 'Exotic' category ? :stir::scare:

And when you say you had it in 'full manual' ........... Are you sure ?

As there are some places that let you 'think' the paddles work. ;)

When I drove one on track a few years back I loved it, but would not want one as a road car. [and I can not repeat on here what I said when I got out of the car]

(in my naughtiness I also let the instructor know I was a member of the team that runs this place :D ) :blush:

I can't believe you'd rather an e46 M3! Sounds like madness to me, but at the end of the day its what excites you that matters!

I didn't say I'd rather have one, I was just trying to explain what I like in a car :)

Been there, done that :D

Ah fair enough!

I think that's it, the 97% of the time thing! I'm glad you know what I mean - I was feeling a bit stupid :D

To be fair, I could own a McClaren P1 and 97% of the time it won't be exciting, but those 3% are what makes me want one.

Can you put the R8 in the 'Exotic' category ? :stir::scare:

And when you say you had it in 'full manual' ........... Are you sure ?

As there are some places that let you 'think' the paddles work. ;)

When I drove one on track a few years back I loved it, but would not want one as a road car. [and I can not repeat on here what I said when I got out of the car]

(in my naughtiness I also let the instructor know I was a member of the team that runs this place :D ) :blush:

See, now you've gone and got me all curious, please spill the beans :D

One of my favourite cars that I've owned was an e46 M3 ... It was raw, mechanical, sounded amazing and felt a bit special, maybe I need to find something a bit more like that.

Having owned two 1 series BMWs (my pervious was a 123d, amazing machine really) I am fond of the drive they offer (although not the looks so much!) ... I've always liked the 1M Coupe, so will see if I can get a test drive of one of those, although they are super rare.

The 1M certainly would be a good car to have. Im more than happy with my 123d coupe - theres a video on youtube of a 123d against a 350z around the nurburgring and its neck and neck. Im considering having mine remapped atm which will take it to 270bhp & 400ft/lb torque. BMW are also just releasing the M235i which promises to be good, and its predecessor the M135i was an awesome car for the money - very quick and not far off the 1M in that aspect. Although with only 400 odd in the UK, the 1M will always hold its value.

The E9* M3 is getting cheaper, so might be worth a consideration although personally I prefer the looks of the 1 series. The E46 M3 CSL is another car to consider although they seem to be going up in value atm. Some say the M3 CS is a good compromise between the M3 & CSL and represents good value for money...

A lot to choose from really!