Little known facts about the 350Z

Impressed

Take it that no-one read the manual when they got the car?

A real man never EVER reads a Manual :boxing:

Whatever! I am a real man and I decided that I wanted to make sure I knew everything about my car, so on the night of purchasing her, I read the whole manual cover to cover.

Albeit a small real man (5'6") but still a real man! GRRRR!!! :boxing:

:p

• 3 weeks later...

In our coupe you can lock the car with the windows open, it will stay like that fine - but if you try to get your hands through the window (to open the door or just pick on something) the alarm goes off. Probably common with other cars as well, but I just noticed last week. I'm not saying it's safe to leave the car with the windows open though :lol:

I just found out that apparently the 2006 cars onwards had variable power steering. i.e. when your parking the steering goes lighter, whereas at speed it becomes heavier.

At least according to the sales brouchure i just read!

Interesting - I thought all UK models had some sort of variable power steering? Any more specific info on what the actual difference is between pre and post-2006 models is, steering-wise? Must say I didn't notice much of a difference when driving either...

• Like 1

I just found out that apparently the 2006 cars onwards had variable power steering. i.e. when your parking the steering goes lighter, whereas at speed it becomes heavier.

At least according to the sales brouchure i just read!

Interesting - I thought all UK models had some sort of variable power steering? Any more specific info on what the actual difference is between pre and post-2006 models is, steering-wise? Must say I didn't notice much of a difference when driving either...

Some key quotes from the 2006 press release...

"Significant re-engineering of the V6 for 2006, including a redesigned intake duct, new pistons, a

revised camshaft profile and the addition of electronic exhaust valve timing control, has raised

power from 280 PS at 6200 rpm to 300 PS at 6400 rpm. Peak torque has fallen slightly from 363 Nm to 353 Nm at 4800 rpm, however the revised torque curve is far flatter than before and provides greater torque reserves at higher rpm. At 6000 rpm for example, the new engine delivers a full 20 Nm more torque than its predecessor could achieve."

So whilst on paper the revup engine has less torque, it has more torque at higher revs. The press release says it reduces the 0-60 time by 0.1 seconds.

"2006 models feature a new front bumper, revised lower grille and a smoother profile with deeper

scallops ahead of the front wheels for a more aggressive look. New bi -xenon projector lamps,

augmented by LED side lights, create a greater ‘technical’   look which complements the

engineering purity of the overall design of the car. At the rear, the dramatic triangular tail-lights

now feature no fewer than 42 LED lamps on either side, enabling the brake lights to activate far

more rapidly for greater safety."

"2006 Model Year changes centre on the practical, with a new, easier-to-assimilate meter design

and revised locations for the seat heater and hazard switches. Improved soft feel materials for

the C -Cluster and the centre console and all -new door panel inserts enhance the feeling of

quality. There’s a new magazine net added to the passenger footwell, while the door pockets,

now fully trimmed, are a more practical shape and incorporate an illuminated bottle holder."

I always wondered what that net thing in the passengers footwell was for - now i know its a "magazine net".

"RAYS engineered ultra lightweight forged alloy wheels which shave four kilos per corner off the unsprung weight of the car, further improving the chasis dynamics"

Interesting figure there... so if you have the Rays wheels then you save 16kg on weight. Thats nearly 2.5stone in weight. It also suggests the Rays wheels were standard from 2006 onwards, rather then optional as in previous years.

"New for the 2006 options list is a factory fitted satellite navigation system. The DVD -based

system features improved processor graphics as recently introduced on the Nissan Pathfinder.

The wide screen display can be split to show map settings and realistic visual representations of

the Channel (TMC) offering alternative routes to beat the jams."

Looks like the sat nav was not a UK option before 2006?

Heres the bit on the steering.....

"NEW STEERING FOR 2006

Just one change has been made to the 350Z ’s race-bred multi-link chassis for the 2006 Model

Year: the adoption of speed dependent power steering. Designed to give increased assistance

at parking speeds for easier manoeuvrability, the electric system weights up at higher speeds to

provide steering with more positive feel and greater feedback."

In addition I didnt realise the roadster has a specially strengthened steering column...

"Strengthened steering column

To counter flexing sometimes felt through the steering column of an open car, the 350Z

Roadster has a unique steering member as well as an extra gusset structure linking the column

to the A pillars."

The prefacelift ones had a CD and a remote control. They were listed as an option in the brochure I had from early 2006 but I can't remember the exact price. I believe that a much higher proportion of facelifts had factory SatNavs fitted though.

Pete

The prefacelift ones had a CD and a remote control. They were listed as an option in the brochure I had from early 2006 but I can't remember the exact price. I believe that a much higher proportion of facelifts had factory SatNavs fitted though.

Pete

2004 SatNav was an option at £1K IIRC

Pete

2004 SatNav was an option at £1K IIRC

In my 2007 it was an option at £1400. Mad how they increased the cost of it by so much over 3 years! Greedy so & so`s

Also found out today that the frost blue leather seats were not an optional extra.

It was a choice you could have as standard on the GT pack. With the GT pack you had the choice of either charcoal grey (black in other words), or frost blue seats. The alezan orange seats were an extra extra! i.e. you could only add them as an optional extra (£600) if you had already opted for the optional extra GT Pack.

• Like 1

In my 2007 it was an option at £1400. Mad how they increased the cost of it by so much over 3 years! Greedy so & so`s

Christ thats more than the Connect Premium in my 2010 370z with its HDD and touchscreen :surrender::scare:

Frost Blue? sounds like blue, sounds like silver, I'm in heaven :lol::lol:

Also found out today that the frost blue leather seats were not an optional extra.

It was a choice you could have as standard on the GT pack. With the GT pack you had the choice of either charcoal grey (black in other words), or frost blue seats. The alezan orange seats were an extra extra! i.e. you could only add them as an optional extra (£600) if you had already opted for the optional extra GT Pack.

Frost Blue? sounds like blue, sounds like silver, I'm in heaven :lol::lol:

They look more like a dirty grey colour. Hence maybe thats why they were never popular and now are rare as hens teeth.