Maserati Granturismo, Aston Vantage or ...... Decision P8

Sam Mcgoo

Which would you choose?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What wold you choose?

• Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8
    • Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3 V8
    • Something else - please suggest in post.

Well (I think) the time has come for a change of car. :surrender:

I've had an itch for a V8 for a long time and a couple of things going on in my life recently has made me think about living for now and treating myself to something a bit special.

I've been struggling to find a car I really lust over (within my budget) that I'd be willing to replace the Zed with. That's how much I love my Zed!

My budget is circa £35k

For the past year I've been thinking that was going to be an Aston Martin Vantage V8.

aston_martin_v8_vantage_2005_01_b.jpg

Then recently I saw a Maserati Granturismo and it has really got my attention!

maserati-granturismo-sports-petrol_20593607.jpg

They are both similarly priced, the Aston being a little cheaper for an early one, but at the same year I'll be looking at around 2007 they are both very similar.

They both have a V8 and similar performance. Aston is 4.3L @380bhp, The Maser is 4.2L @ 405bhp. The Aston is a bit smaller and lighter so is a bit quicker to 60 at just under 5s and the Maser just over 5s.

The Maser is rarer than than the aston which I like and i think the Maser just takes it on the noise contest as well. the tone and growl is amazing.

They are both GORGEOUS. I am beginning to feel that the front of the aston is getting a little dated but the back is perfect. The maser has really nice lines and a gorgeous, aggressive front but the back is not as curvy as the aston....

Reliability.....appears very similar, with the maser coming out slightly on top I think, but its hard to find much online about the granturismo so information is a bit limited.

The Maserati is more practical due to having 4 usable seats and the Aston just 2.

Prestige ......difficult........everyone knows and loves an aston. Maser is rarer but because of that people don't know what they are.

Reviews - seem very similar.

There are lot of cars out there in that price range, and many are faster, but I'm after a mix of speed, noise, prettiness and sense of occasion. The above give that.

I have considered a new UK Mustang but am not willing to take the hit on 'new' car deprecation . I am NOT interested in BMWs, Audis and other german wagons that you see a dozen of every day. Porches - I'm a little tempted in recent years, but the wife isn't keen and I'm not sure if they will give the same sense of occasion.

R35 GTR. The wife and I always thought that that would be the route I would choose due to long love for Jap cars and yearn for more power/speed, but now I'm not sure. I don't think they are that good looking and find it hard to justify that amount of money on another nissan. I do appreciate how fast and awesome they must be to drive but not sure it's enough.

.........Thoughts on a postcard..........

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 3

I can honestly say the the Aston Vantage V8 is the hottest car is ever driven after around 30minutes. I had one as my wedding car and it almost gave me a migraine the day before as I could not cool down enough in the thing.

Very pretty. Doesn't really hold its own against its competitors sadly the badge drags the price up. IMHO of course.

MrE004

• Like 1

I know you've discounted the Mustang, however, it'll come with 3 years warranty. The GTR that someone suggested is over budget and is horrendously expensive to service and if something goes bang....well, the Maserati may well break down, expensively, every other week (I love the look of them though) and the Aston, is indeed, a chance to be Bond, every day.

However, the cheapest to insure, service, modify and run will be a Mustang.

Just saying, you seem to think that depreciation will be a major factor on that, but if you keep any of the other two that you favour for more than a couple of years, they'll depreciate as well, maybe not as much, but they'll be older, again! and just as expensive to run.

Interested what you'll plump for.

Kyle R has a lovely M6 for sale :thumbs: that would be my choice (I understand that you don't want a BMW though, but a V10!), if I didn't have a Mustang on order :)

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 3

The mustang is value for money for sure, but will feel cheap and nasty when compared to the Maserati. Also you chaps in the UK don't have half the options available on the mustang that we have in north 'merica. Without some of the "aggressive" mods they look a bit girly :lol:

I guess a new Stingray will be over budget? . . and the steering wheel will be on the wrong side.

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

Good thread!

I looked at these too (and the early R8s, M5, M3, RS4, VXR8, Carrera 4), like Sam, none of the German stuff has any thrill for me and I was lucky enough to get into the heats for the Nissan race academy a few years ago and raced the 370s and GTRs, again ok but no sense of occasion.

I was on a Europe trip a few years ago and a Masser was there, the guy said he had some horrendus bills to fix the stereo and elec windows but he loved driving it, yea it makes a great noise!

I needed a larger (more practical) car last year, so went for a supercharged full size V8 range rover.... F#ck.... :lol: ! I love it... Not the best round corners, but feels seriously fast on acceleration and I easilly kept up with a work colleagues 06 350z last week pulling onto the motorway... ha ha ha.. Im smiling now just thinking about it, the torque is crazy and its so quiet and refined inside. its getting 16mpg though!

Anyway, I digress, back to the original question.

I liked both or even the DB9, but I decided to continue to save and aim to get a F430 or a F599. :teeth:

• Like 1

Cheap or not, it'll have more presence. Same 'aggressive' mods as our Merkin cousins put on, Whipple, Steeda etc, as far as I'm aware, they're not standard on any 'Stang in the Colonies ;)

What about an AMG Merc, not a diddly small one but one of the 63's or 65's. One passed me this morning on the way to work, fook me, that could move.

• Like 2

The GTR that someone suggested is over budget and is horrendously expensive to service and if something goes bang....well, the Maserati may well break down, expensively, every other week (I love the look of them though).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508266382697

Something can go bang on any car, but for peace of mind you can have warranty from a 3rd party, like Litchfield for the GT-R, which is about £1000+VAT/year.

Service for the GT-R is about £1000 / year, if you use fair places like Sly @ KaizerMotors, 2 x Nissan Master Technicians under the same roof and a billion of awards, diplomas and certificates.

However, we have a winner, looking at the votes, Maserati :)

the ford modeo from the front now looks like the Aston............. to me thats a problem

True story :(

2015-09-01_22-54-17.jpeg

2015-09-01_22-54-58.jpeg

• Like 2

If you want the noise, then the Aston. If you want the looks, then the Maser. If you want the drive, then the 911. Neither the Aston nor the Maser are as good to drive as a 911, but the interiors are a nicer place to be and stock for stock, make a much better noise. It's a toss up between the occasion and having something that handles as well as it looks. No right or wrong answer, really.

M6 definitely worth a shout, you'll never get an NA V10 in a sensibly priced car again.

• Like 4

I got a chance to pull next to Granturismo few months ago and do a drag. Not as fast as i expected as Z can keep up with it but the sound of that car is pure sex. Buddy of mine has driven booth Granturismo and Granturismo S. He says S version is the one that's which has a good pull

• Like 1

As someone said, GTR will cost £2000 per year (+VAT, another £400) for peace of mind, that's £6000 over 3 years (£7200 inc VAT) and a limited warranty, take in depreciation, finding an unbastardised one, that's a lot of money.

A 911 is a good shout, not a Porsche out and out fan, but after looking at some GT3's on Sunday, they are class, fact, pass that on :lol:.

If I was hanging by my balls from a bit of fishing line and had to pick between the two, the Maserati would win. If I had the chance to own a V10, with the added security of a bullet proof warranty, the M6 would win, hands down. If I was looking for a car in a 35k budget, with NO RISK, the mustang would win.

At the end of the day, it's your cash, your risk and your happiness at stake :)

Edited by The G Man