Maserati Granturismo, Aston Vantage or ...... Decision P8

Sam Mcgoo

Which would you choose?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What wold you choose?

• Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8
    • Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3 V8
    • Something else - please suggest in post.

Difficult to find a decent/interesting Maserati within £35k as it is to find an unmolested GTR within the same budget. Just had a look on PH, this is the only one interesting I found close to that budget... http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/maserati/granturismo/maserati-granturismo-m145-s-mc-shift-2010/4614132

more here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=719&Page=1&SortOptions=PriceLowToHigh

I'm obviously very biased, on both pro GTR and anti Porsche, but if Porsche was an alternative (NOOOOOOOOO, don't do it, Sam!!!), look very Beetle and very underpowered at 350bhp...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=506&MaxPrice=40000&MinPrice=30000&Page=4&SortOptions=PriceLowToHigh

Edited by octet@TORQEN
  • Like 2

I can hook you up with a chap who will get you a minter of a Granturismo mate. He's the guy I do all the mazzers for and he's about the straightest car sales I've ever met.

For the record they are epic as well.

You cannot find an angle that it doesn't look stunning from.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4.7 GTS or nothing!!

And that is the beasty.

The 4.7 being blipped on idle emits a rumble at the exact frequency to make you instantly ejaculate......it's a bit of a problem when you're detailing a car.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 2

"Difficult to find a decent/interesting Maserati within £35k as it is to find an unmolested GTR within the same budget"

That's my point really, the budget may not be enough to scratch that V8 itch, with peace of mind. GTR is 2 cylinders short anyway, but a delightfully engineered car, just need deep pockets to run one.

Maybe I'm risk averse, but, 35k in anyone's budget, is too much, IMO, to take that risk.

Ricey, I get that on the outside, it will look like a 'minter' but, it's the inside that worries me the most. Also, there are good points about gearboxes, the Maserati was never known as a car, for the price, to have a smooth operating gearbox, auto or manual (I would have an auto, now, due to being an old bastardo, but modern autos are just too complicated for my good lady)

• Like 1

Mazza for me in that price bracket. Even if you hadn't mentioned it I would suggest it. Noise and looks. Someone mentioned it looks good from every angle. Only thing I would say is that the back is crying out for spacers. But apart from that perfect

Other than that, especially if v8 noise is important, C63s are in your price bracket

• Like 1

I fear if I bought the Vantage i'd feel like I cheated myself, because it's not the V12, if I bought the Mazzer, i'd be terrified of Italian electronics. I don't honestly know an awful lot about either, but IMO the Aston looks better, the Maserati's tend to have very marmite rear ends but the front of that Granturismo is gorgeous.

As G Man said, I'm selling my M6, so feel free to PM me if you have any interest. :thumbs:http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/101287-2008-bmw-m6-22995/

• Like 1

The Massertai looks amazing. I'm suprised you can pick one up for £35k, that's pretty cheap for a car with a list price of £80-100k. Though I'm suprised nether are that quick or have big BHP numbers.

Just looking at them I would have thought both would have low 4 second 0-60 times and pushing close to 500bhp, but 5 seconds to 60, 400bhp is remapped Golf R/M135i territory...Goes to show just how rapid the current range of hyper hatches are!!

Having had the pleasure of running a 3 year old BMW 335i without a BMW warranty, I cannot begin to imagine the repair bills on a 7 year old £80k+ Italian super saloon. Buy one but I would make sure you have at spare £5K on stand by for unexpected repairs. I cannot imagine the Austin Martin would be any better in that regard.

I persume the GTR been a Nissan is at least reliable?? Servicing costs will always be high, but you can budget for that, it's unexpected 'suprises' that can add up very quickly.

Still just on looks the Masserrati is surely the winner, but than again there must be a reason they have deprecated so much!!

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Have you considered the following cars:

• Bentley continental
  • Lotus evora
  • Jaguar XF RS
  • Jaguar XKR
  • Mercedes C63 AMG (i know its german)
  • Potentially an R8
  • Noble M12

If it was my money, I would spend £25k on a BMW M6 add some toys and a holiday. The V10 is a good drive, i like SMG gear boxes and for what you get they are a bargain. Base entry supercar without the tag. Depriciation isn't too bad either.

of the two, i'd have the Maser... rarer on the roads, looks better now the aston has dated a bit. But the main reason is the Aston would seem a bit slow... doesn't even have 400bhp to play with in the V8 version - it'd have to be the V12, but then the price goes up considerably.

However, if it was my money I wouldn't have either of those - it'd either be an early manual Audi R8, which has a great high revving V8 up front, or a really nice BMW M6, because 5 litre, high revving V10! Plus has the advantage of usable rear seats as well. Heck, would probably even consider a Porsche over the Maser and Aston.

Either way, looking forward to seeing which way this goes!

it's the breakdown costs you have to watch out for.

Yes, my son in laws mate has a Mazza and it broke down on the way to Le Mans in 2012, gearbox problem and I think the bill was over 10k, including shipping back to the U.K but I'll check that out.

Pete

• Like 1

Difficult choice, although different on both looks and sound, they are both great, guessing performance/driving there isnt much in it.

Possibly Masserati as from a personal point of view its the best front end out there.

Its also good to see people buy from the heart, not the head, the world would be a dull place if we all bought with our heads and filled the road with german metal.

• Like 1

DO NOT BUY THE ASTON. They look good, sound great .......... and thats it. Unreliable, ridiculous thirsty, not actually that quick (like 350Z not actually that quick), Ive known three guys own them and all three recommend steering clear. A DB9 is a better bet and not that much more money, but for the love of god not a Vantage.

I have another couple of mates with Gransports and they adore them, one lad has had his for a while and its spent as much time in the garage as out, the other guys has driven everything in the world and pretty much put the deposit down straight after the test drive.

As for other M1 6RF (catchy name dude) has nailed the list - Bentley, R8 are worth serious investigation and its very difficult to look past 911's ........... Id probably be stuck between the Maser and the R8, and then end up in an XFR-S :lol:

• Like 1

DO NOT BUY THE ASTON. They look good, sound great .......... and thats it. Unreliable, ridiculous thirsty, not actually that quick (like 350Z not actually that quick), Ive known three guys own them and all three recommend steering clear. A DB9 is a better bet and not that much more money, but for the love of god not a Vantage.

I have another couple of mates with Gransports and they adore them, one lad has had his for a while and its spent as much time in the garage as out, the other guys has driven everything in the world and pretty much put the deposit down straight after the test drive.

As for other M1 6RF (catchy name dude) has nailed the list - Bentley, R8 are worth serious investigation and its very difficult to look past 911's ........... Id probably be stuck between the Maser and the R8, and then end up in an XFR-S :lol:

Not sure if that was sarcasm?

Its my number plate

M1 6RYF = Mitchell Ian GRIFFith

If it helps, there are members of the military on this forum that get 44% off brand new jaguar RS and S range.

So a £85k XFRS brand new for £47600.

Above budget but a good investment!

I must say, I'm very surprised by the opinions so far. I told the missus when I put this thread up that everyone would say Aston! How wrong could I be.

It seems to be if your into cars then the maser gets preference, as most other people i've spoke to (not particularly car people) always say Aston.

Sorry Sam, it's GTR for me :D Tried one yet? Happy to let you try mine, you'll fall in love without any shadow of a doubt. Nothing else out there with that kind of power and within the budget.

But if I was to choose out of the two you've posted, I'd go Maserati...

I thought you might say that. :lol: I might well take you up on that very kind offer if my search takes me down your way. We did pop in somewhere over the weekend and have a look around an 09 GTR and I liked it more than I thought I would, but didn't take it for a drive as it was pissing down and I didn't think it was worth it.

I suspect if I do drive one, I'll find it very hard not to find the speed very tempting.......

Sorry to hear your thinking about moving on Sam.

The sound of the Maserati is second to none at that price.

What about we go halves on a Gallardo? Lol

Cheers Andy. Hmm, I do work away a lot, so a car share might work..... :lol:

I know you've discounted the Mustang, however, it'll come with 3 years warranty. The GTR that someone suggested is over budget and is horrendously expensive to service and if something goes bang....well, the Maserati may well break down, expensively, every other week (I love the look of them though) and the Aston, is indeed, a chance to be Bond, every day.

However, the cheapest to insure, service, modify and run will be a Mustang.

Just saying, you seem to think that depreciation will be a major factor on that, but if you keep any of the other two that you favour for more than a couple of years, they'll depreciate as well, maybe not as much, but they'll be older, again! and just as expensive to run.

Interested what you'll plump for.

Kyle R has a lovely M6 for sale :thumbs: that would be my choice (I understand that you don't want a BMW though, but a V10!), if I didn't have a Mustang on order :)

Cheap or not, it'll have more presence. Same 'aggressive' mods as our Merkin cousins put on, Whipple, Steeda etc, as far as I'm aware, they're not standard on any 'Stang in the Colonies ;)

What about an AMG Merc, not a diddly small one but one of the 63's or 65's. One passed me this morning on the way to work, fook me, that could move.

You make very good points, and I had thought the same. Re the warranty, I think I would be very tempted to spend the extra on getting a good warranty which is something I wouldn't normally entertain. But with the possible repair bills for these cars, it might be worth the piece of mind.

The running costs - Insurance would be cheaper than I currently pay, MPG is close enough to what I get now to not bother me too much, Tax will be twice the price at 500 odd. Servicing, on the Maser is only every 12500miles or 2 years, where as I currently do mine once or twice a year with my ~5k average mileage. (although I do do it myself which obviously saves a lot.)

Modifying - that is a good point, as I do like to tinker.

Don't want a BMW! (no offence Kyle) C63AMG had crossed my mind as the power and noise is awesome, but saloon cars just don't do it for me.

the ford modeo from the front now looks like the Aston............. to me thats a problem

Yep, that's why I think it now looks a little dated. Jags, Fords and many others ....

I'd have the Maser over the Aston too, but only if I could find one with the automated manual 'box as the slusher just isn't sharp enough for me.

Maser for me. The noise is great, the looks are awesome, but the gearbox for me is lacking. At least you can fix that in the Aston with the manual options, but the Maser is auto only.

JUST PLEASE DON'T GET A SOFT TOP!

Unfortunately, the automated manual (MC Shift) seems to go through very expensive clutches quite quickly which puts me off a little. Also, driving them slowly can apparently not be the smoothest experience. They are also pushing the limit of the budget.

The Auto, has a couple of manual modes - either the paddles or knocking the stick up and down, which seem to work pretty well. It's not lightning fast, but is still quicker than I can probably change on a normal manual. :blush: Also, as much as I hate myself for saying it, I quite like the idea of knocking it into auto in traffic.

I got a chance to pull next to Granturismo few months ago and do a drag. Not as fast as i expected as Z can keep up with it but the sound of that car is pure sex. Buddy of mine has driven booth Granturismo and Granturismo S. He says S version is the one that's which has a good pull

As I said they are not mentally fast at around 5 secs, and I'm not one for traffic light GP and they're not excactly slow. Not sure a standard Zed would keep up if the driver was giving it 100% but if you did good on ya. I think the noise and sense of occation would be enough.

To be honest, what I like about the fact that it's not mental quick is that you get to hear that engine through the revs for longer! :teeth:

Well mine is dyno rated on 305 bhp with lightened flywheel. B4 this run i didn't have clue about GT specs and numbers so I was surprised how i was keeping up with it. But again looks and sound of that machine for me is astonishing. Buddy of mine had a Z and drove booth GT and GT S version and says GTs i quick

Edited by Snjur