Maserati Granturismo, Aston Vantage or ...... Decision P8

Sam Mcgoo

Which would you choose?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What wold you choose?

• Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8
    • Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3 V8
    • Something else - please suggest in post.

Difficult to find a decent/interesting Maserati within £35k as it is to find an unmolested GTR within the same budget. Just had a look on PH, this is the only one interesting I found close to that budget... http://www.pistonhea...ft-2010/4614132

more here:

http://www.pistonhea...=PriceLowToHigh

I'm obviously very biased, on both pro GTR and anti Porsche, but if Porsche was an alternative (NOOOOOOOOO, don't do it, Sam!!!), look very Beetle and very underpowered at 350bhp...

http://www.pistonhea...=PriceLowToHigh

The one you link is sadly a CatD, which I'm not sure with this kind of car would be a good idea, as I think re-sale would be a nightmare. It is a very good car though.

I am looing 30 - 40k which does bring a few more into the mix, mainly early, 4.2 autos but some have low mileage.

I can hook you up with a chap who will get you a minter of a Granturismo mate. He's the guy I do all the mazzers for and he's about the straightest car sales I've ever met.

For the record they are epic as well.

You cannot find an angle that it doesn't look stunning from.

I may well be in touch. Is his name Dicky Grace? I've heard good things about him and he has introduced himself to me on a maser forum.

4.7 GTS or nothing!!

I fear if I bought the Vantage i'd feel like I cheated myself, because it's not the V12, if I bought the Mazzer, i'd be terrified of Italian electronics. I don't honestly know an awful lot about either, but IMO the Aston looks better, the Maserati's tend to have very marmite rear ends but the front of that Granturismo is gorgeous.

The Massertai looks amazing. I'm suprised you can pick one up for £35k, that's pretty cheap for a car with a list price of £80-100k. Though I'm suprised nether are that quick or have big BHP numbers.

Just looking at them I would have thought both would have low 4 second 0-60 times and pushing close to 500bhp, but 5 seconds to 60, 400bhp is remapped Golf R/M135i territory...Goes to show just how rapid the current range of hyper hatches are!!

Having had the pleasure of running a 3 year old BMW 335i without a BMW warranty, I cannot begin to imagine the repair bills on a 7 year old £80k+ Italian super saloon. Buy one but I would make sure you have at spare £5K on stand by for unexpected repairs. I cannot imagine the Austin Martin would be any better in that regard.

I persume the GTR been a Nissan is at least reliable?? Servicing costs will always be high, but you can budget for that, it's unexpected 'suprises' that can add up very quickly.

Still just on looks the Masserrati is surely the winner, but than again there must be a reason they have deprecated so much!!

Unfortunately, my budget might not stretch to a 4.7GTS. Its the same with the aston, the 4.7 is the better faster car, but they hold a premium for it as do the 4.7 GTS.

I know what your saying about the power/speed being relatively slow compared to modern hot hatches and saloons but there is always something faster out there and I don't like saloons or hatches one bit. I like cars to look fast/curvy .

Running costs on anything like this will be about the same, it's the breakdown costs you have to watch out for. Is there a decent indy near by, as I wouldn't want to be paying main dealer rates on an older car?

Yeah that is the biggest worry. I'm very tempted with a warranty, but unfortunately that usually means a dealer. Prestige car sales are pretty scarce near me. I have one maz dealer about 20 miles away which I visited yesterday for a test drive. But the price was pretty keen for what it was. I'll try and get time to write something about it in the next day or so, but it was a positive experience!

Warranty is a must-have I think, unless you can keep a £10K slush fund (or borrow it at short notice, credit card etc). That said, even the best warranty will only go so far with regards to costs, and you'll find that you'll end up topping it up regardless if you get a big bill.

No love for the Evora then? Or a C6 Corvette?

All these people saying that a GTR is expensive to maintain.... have you owned or run one? Considering the cost of running an Aston Martin, the costs of the GTR are rather reasonable, especially when going through someone like Sly. Here is the breakdown from an owner that has done 100,000 miles in the GTR

http://www.gtr.co.uk...-000-miles.html

Obviously I am biased, having owned a GTR for more than 4 years (and counting) now, but it is by far the BEST car I have ever owned. I tested V8 Vantage S (depreciation was laughable, performance was not very good and servicing costs were expensive... simple example the Quartz key, £1000 to replace), Audi R8 V10 (very nice, loved the sound, just felt very BMW/Audi/Merc which I really dont like and lacked luggage space), Merc C63 (didnt like the driving position, the silly foot/handbrake, merc - the service was shocking), etc, etc before I bought the GTR. The GTR destroyed them all in the areas that I was looking at... Im not ready to just cruise around, the GTR is a great tourer, rather decent on track and can be used daily.

If performance is what you are after, here is a video of the Maser at ASDA Day (posted on the GTR forum, by the Maser owner ;)):-

Personally, I do want to own an Aston and I will, but it will be the Vantage V12 or DBS and I will be doing my best to keep the GTR as well. Even my missus loves the GTR, I have talked to her about potentially selling and moving to the Aston and she has told me to wait another year and keep the GTR.

If you have not driven it, you are doing yourself a serious dis-service IMHO!! Will all come down to what you want from the car.... and sounds like it will be more of a status symbol, so Aston or Maser will be good choices, my choice would be Aston.

Edited by grahamc

I wouldn't even look at a GT-R over an Aston or a Maser GT. I agree that it's not a leap in running costs at all, but in terms of specialness I just can't see it over either of the two main options, much less over an M6 or 911. Or even an Evora.

I wouldn't even look at a GT-R over an Aston or a Maser GT. I agree that it's not a leap in running costs at all, but in terms of specialness I just can't see it over either of the two main options, much less over an M6 or 911. Or even an Evora.

I see more Astons on the road than GTRs.... strange, how when the GTRs arrive at events like ASDA Day, etc they are the most popular compared to Astons, Masers, etc. Once again, it comes down to the driving you do.... I like driving events and track days, Aston/Maser would be crap at that.

You and I will never see eye to eye on this, but there is no chance I would take a £35k Aston/Maser over a GTR.

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

I see more McLaren 12Cs on the road than I do GT-Rs, but I know which is the car I'd prefer on my driveway ;)

Track day yes, if you like winning on track days a GT-R is the easy choice. Not sure what you mean by driving events though? Something like a long tour of Europe would be infinitely more preferable in something like a V8V or the Maser, I think. Even somewhere like Wales or the IoM, where power is meaningless really, could be more fun in something like the Maser.

But yeah, we'll never agree that the 911 is better than everything mentioned anyway. ;) ;) ;)

:lol:

I see more McLaren 12Cs on the road than I do GT-Rs, but I know which is the car I'd prefer on my driveway ;)

Track day yes, if you like winning on track days a GT-R is the easy choice. Not sure what you mean by driving events though? Something like a long tour of Europe would be infinitely more preferable in something like a V8V or the Maser, I think. Even somewhere like Wales or the IoM, where power is meaningless really, could be more fun in something like the Maser.

But yeah, we'll never agree that the 911 is better than everything mentioned anyway. ;) ;) ;)

:lol:

The one thing we do agree on then ;)

Yeah, but whats the price tag on a 12C ;)

Its not about winning at track days, I also run a standard MK2 MX5 which is also heaps of fun. I meant comparing the cars so far.... So if the choice was a £35k GTR/Maser/Aston/Porsche, Id take the GTR. I just dont think the Aston and Maser are enough car to enjoy and well Porsche is Porsche (I like old ones :D).

Track days, events like ASDA, tours of Europe (you will be surprised how comfortable the GTR is), mountain passes in Europe, etc, etc. The GTR excels at doing it all.... not just individual pieces ;)

Back on topic............. is the OP interested in track days and the likes or is it more for cruising comfortably, looking and sounding good?

Edited by grahamc

I'd rather be touring Italy in a Maser, and suspect it would be a better experience, but tbh that's just splitting hairs. I'd rather do everything in an old 964 instead! :D

You'd be surprised at how good the Maser is on track though: I benchmarked on a corporate jolly the entire range a few years back, so the Maser slushbox vs Maser automated manual in a direct comparison. Both cars were incredibly handy, and whilst neither would see which way a Caterham went on track, who cares? As long as it's fun enough, that's enough. You'll know exactly what I mean when I say that you'll have more fun on track in your slower MX5 than you do in your GT-R, I know my old mk1 was soooo much more entertaining than the 911 on track, despite taking an age to complete a lap!

I think the biggest reason to not pick a GT-R (or a cooking 911, for that matter) over the V8 options is the noise alone. The sound of an Aston V8 at tick over or the Maser V8 at 8K RPM just rapes the face off any six cylinder option. In terms of experiences, i can't think of much better for £35K.

• Like 2

I saw an V8 vantage on the London tunnel run this weekend. It was parked up at the back and no one was paying attention to it. I walked passed and had a quick look around it but it wasn't all thay impressive.

When we parked up outside the palace in London it drove past, giving it a little blip. There was a unanimous decision from all of us that it wasn't very impressive, we instantly continued with our conversation.

For £35k I just don't the Aston is worth the price tag.

The masser is nice from certain angles. I have been to the ferarri and maser showroom in Colchester a few times. They are nice to look at and at certain angles they do look and sound gorgeous. Still not how i would spend the money for a slightly quick car

the OP wants a V8..... kinda rules out the GTR from the outset

OP and others mentioned the GTR, cant sit back when people ramble on about silly high running costs when they have no idea.

I'd rather be touring Italy in a Maser, and suspect it would be a better experience, but tbh that's just splitting hairs. I'd rather do everything in an old 964 instead! :D

You'd be surprised at how good the Maser is on track though: I benchmarked on a corporate jolly the entire range a few years back, so the Maser slushbox vs Maser automated manual in a direct comparison. Both cars were incredibly handy, and whilst neither would see which way a Caterham went on track, who cares? As long as it's fun enough, that's enough. You'll know exactly what I mean when I say that you'll have more fun on track in your slower MX5 than you do in your GT-R, I know my old mk1 was soooo much more entertaining than the 911 on track, despite taking an age to complete a lap!

I think the biggest reason to not pick a GT-R (or a cooking 911, for that matter) over the V8 options is the noise alone. The sound of an Aston V8 at tick over or the Maser V8 at 8K RPM just rapes the face off any six cylinder option. In terms of experiences, i can't think of much better for £35K.

Completely agree.... 964 would be awesome!!! Shame they are the post expensive car being discussed in this thread :)

Enjoy the MX5 for completely different reasons, but its not very much fun to get to the track :( and I most certainly would not drive it around Europe.

Definitely, noise wasnt massively high on my list... GTR sounds good, but compared to the V8s............ well it doesnt compare. Comes down to what the OP wants from the car and I leaning towards the V8s, even though he thought it would always be the GTR.

• Like 1

I voted Maserati personally.

There are a couple of both types often floating around here in Bucks, no doubt owned by the landed gentry :lol: See the Aston? nice but meh, posh bloke's Jag, but see a Mas and I think WOW that is a stunningly attractive car :cloud9: It's Italian for heavens sake!

Both are adequately fast but the Maserati has a sleek exotic flair IMHO, whereas the Aston is just a bit pipe and slippers. As for either being a daily driver - hey you like to work on them yourself - savings to be had there to put forward to paying for premium expensive parts* :scare:

My 2p, but you are welcome to spend it how you like :lol:

* I've no first hand idea if either of these models are unreliable - except I did see David Beckham standing next to a broken down Aston at Bignells Corner once. The 80's era Maseratis (e.g. Bi Turbo) had a bit of a reputation IIRC, but that was decades ago.

• Like 2

OP and others mentioned the GTR, cant sit back when people ramble on about silly high running costs when they have no idea

I get the fanboy thing from owning a GTR, God knows I've been flamed enough about my 'fanboyism' of my puny wee Nismo. However, Octet did point out, very graciously, that the servicing was around £1000 per year, along with a bit of a warrant at £1000 + VAT per year.

Now if you have £2000 +VAT a year to throw at your GTR, that's great, there's no bigger fan of the GTR's engineering pedigree than me. But to say that no one but you knows how much it costs etc, is frankly rather arrogant.

What you have to remember is that there are a lot of forum users out there that HAVE researched the running costs and there is no pretending that it is 'reasonable', just like any high end, complicated and evocative car will be. It is expensive, comparatively against less complicated cars, but maybe not for other more complicated cars.

So the OP wants a V8, the GTR is not a V8, he hasn't ruled it out nor tried to trash its reputation, which is awesome. It's not got 'presence' though, just legendary engineering.

Anyway, me and the Mrs were out looking at furniture earlier on today, in one of the places we visited, there was a Jaguar XK R in the car park, man that had more presence than all the Nissans in Japan, what an awesome looking beastie!!

• Like 3

OP and others mentioned the GTR, cant sit back when people ramble on about silly high running costs when they have no idea

I get the fanboy thing from owning a GTR, God knows I've been flamed enough about my 'fanboyism' of my puny wee Nismo. However, Octet did point out, very graciously, that the servicing was around £1000 per year, along with a bit of a warrant at £1000 + VAT per year.

Now if you have £2000 +VAT a year to throw at your GTR, that's great, there's no bigger fan of the GTR's engineering pedigree than me. But to say that no one but you knows how much it costs etc, is frankly rather arrogant.

What you have to remember is that there are a lot of forum users out there that HAVE researched the running costs and there is no pretending that it is 'reasonable', just like any high end, complicated and evocative car will be. It is expensive, comparatively against less complicated cars, but maybe not for other more complicated cars.

So the OP wants a V8, the GTR is not a V8, he hasn't ruled it out nor tried to trash its reputation, which is awesome. It's not got 'presence' though, just legendary engineering.

Anyway, me and the Mrs were out looking at furniture earlier on today, in one of the places we visited, there was a Jaguar XK R in the car park, man that had more presence than all the Nissans in Japan, what an awesome looking beastie!!

Oh look, you were one of them.... quoted from page 1

...horrendously expensive to service...

If you make a statement like that, make sure you know your facts. The GTR is NOT horrendously expensive to service, especially if you are planning on spending that much on a car. £1k a year to service.... ignore the warranty, as I doubt a £35k Aston or Maser is going to come with one (so would have to be bought as well). Do you really classify that as "horrendously expensive"? I dont see the Aston or Maser costing less to service ;)

Edited by Will370z
  • Like 2

I was also probably researching them before you had one, that was not my figures, that was a GTR owners figures.

How much does it cost then, since you are the undoubted 'expert'?

If you look beyond the fanboy syndrome, you'll see that I'm complimentary, but, together with someone else's suggested warranty insurance, £2000+VAT per annum is horrendous.

However, no matter if it was 3 bob a week to keep running, it hasn't got 'presence', that's a fact. That XK R though did ;)

• Like 1

I don't have warranty on my GT-R. I spoke to Sly, he said the car is like a brand new car that came out the factory, logs also say that has never been launched or abused, oil never over 110deg C, so he advised I shouldn't bother with the warranty. Bellhousing, steering lock and headlights replaced under warranty in the first three years.

So the "horrendous costs" in my case are about £1000 / year. Obviously plus tyres, pads, petrol, insurance, tracker and road tax.

Edited by octet@TORQEN
  • Like 2

I don't have warranty on my GT-R. I spoke to Sly, he said the car is like a brand new car that came out the factory, logs also say that has never been launched or abused, oil never over 110deg C, so he advised I shouldn't bother with the warranty. Bellhousing, steering lock and headlights replaced under warranty in the first three years.

So the "horrendous costs" in my case are about £1000 / year. Obviously plus tyres, pads, petrol, insurance, tracker and road tax.

Give him your car then for 35k

Yes, but you are a rich man with great contacts, I've no idea what the OP's situation is. I'm only quoting YOUR figures, 'for peace of mind'

Irrelevant, the guy wants a V8, for the hard of thinking, that's not a GTR, simples :thumbs:

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 2

:wacko: Why, how did you come to this?... :surrender:

Yes, but you are a rich man with great contacts.

... or this? :surrender:

Irrelevant, the guy wants a V8, for the hard of thinking, that's not a GTR, simples :thumbs:

He didn't rule it out, he didn't say it must be a V8, read the Poll and his comments again.

2015-09-02_22-44-39.jpeg

• Like 2

:wacko: Why, how did you come to this?... :surrender:

The budget is 35k, how much was yours? Why are you pushing something outside of budget, hard of thinking.

Yes, but you are a rich man with great contacts.

... or this? :surrender:

You keep quoting your mates in the industry, and you can afford to change cars more often than most, not too hard to fathom!

He didn't rule it out, he didn't say it must be a V8, read the Poll and his comments again.

Your right, he didn't, but he did want presence, doh!

2015-09-02_22-44-39.jpeg

• Like 1

Seems the Aston costs a lot less than £1,000 a year to service;

https://www.astonmar...rvicing#pricing

And thats Dealership prices :)

Thats not bad, but that is the bare essentials

I was also probably researching them before you had one, that was not my figures, that was a GTR owners figures.

How much does it cost then, since you are the undoubted 'expert'?

If you look beyond the fanboy syndrome, you'll see that I'm complimentary, but, together with someone else's suggested warranty insurance, £2000+VAT per annum is horrendous.

However, no matter if it was 3 bob a week to keep running, it hasn't got 'presence', that's a fact. That XK R though did ;)

Please see earlier post where I posted a link to the full running costs of 100k miles

I never said I was the expert, but 4 years of ownership gives me a little perspective

Im gad the car is that good ;)

Slys good pricing structure is available to everyone.

No the GTR is not a v8 - if thats a deal breaker, than skip it.... if it isnt a deal breaker, go test one or if you want, you are welcome to join us on a track day (have a look round the car, chat to owners, get a few passenger rides, etc)

Saying that the GTR has no presence is just a bit silly.... its not exactly a Ford KA

Now back on track please.... other options for a good looking V8

Has anyone actually seen a UK RHD Mustang (I havent even seen one at a dealer yet)? Whats the wait list like? And the interior?

I personally wasnt a fan of the C63, but it definitely it is worth testing as they are a very nice car. Good friend had a CL63 a few years ago and it was rather impressive.

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

Youre joking, right? The fact half the country calls the GTR "Godzilla" but wont consider a jag until they are over 40 says a lot IMO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regardless, GTR running costs from what Ive seen are no more than Im expecting to pay on my (admittedly modified) 135i a year, anything in that ballpark is going to be £1000/1500 at the end of the day. If you want a supercar, you have to maintain a supercar.

• Like 4