Maserati Granturismo, Aston Vantage or ...... Decision P8

Sam Mcgoo

Which would you choose?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What wold you choose?

• Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8
    • Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3 V8
    • Something else - please suggest in post.

Bare essentials?? :lol:

You can't have it both ways; you said that Aston servicing would be more than £1000 per year. It's not, it's nearly half, and would probably be half again from an indy.

Plus the GTR looks like it was designed with a ruler. Sure, if you want big numbers and license losing speed, I'm sure it's great. But it can't even be remotely compared to the aesthetics of an Aston or a Maserati, looking at the Maser, it just makes me yearn for one, irrespective of it's numbers and faults, I'd forgive it.

I can't say I look at a GTR in the same way. I just looks and think, wow thats fast, and thats it.

• Like 2

Presence was the wrong word, occasion is what the OP wants, apologies for that word being introduced, if it was me :)

The Mustang has a long waiting list, the first EU spec ones are now starting to be delivered. The interior is what is to be expected for a 35k car. I've not even seen a LHD in the flesh yet :lol:

The first 'Stangs are due later in the UK, they have been built, awaiting shipping, part of the hold up was a header mod, due to the swap over off parts to RHD.

The 'occasion' with one is guaranteed, and with the waiting list, residuals will be slow to come down for a wee while, not a concern for me, someone else is worrying about that for me.

AMG, being German, is another non preference for the OP, shame as they are epic. When I looked at that XKR though, ooft!, just sitting there it had occasion, same last week when I was in London, someone round the corner from my sis had one, BRG colour, man oozing occasion and presence.

The Maserati is gorgeous, and sounds tremendous, there's a dealership a few miles down the road from me, can't help but drool at the cars on the way past. Someone mentioned a Bentley, not a fan, ostentatious springs to mind and I would be slightly embarrassed in one.

• Like 1

You're joking, right? The fact half the country calls the GTR "Godzilla" but wont consider a Laaaaguar until they are over 70 says a lot IMO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fixed that for you.

I was trying not to offend anyone. For once :lol:

Surely if the Jag has occasion, an Aston will have double and a Maserati will be off the scale?

I seem to drop into that minority that prefers the looks of Aston over the Maser, the Maser just looks overly long, and a bit too 'wingy' :lol:

Do agree on the looks of GTR though, it was built by a machine not a person, still think the R33 and R34 look better than the R35 and the designs are decades old.

What about a big old american V8, a Challenger or something? http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/dodge/challenger/2012-dodge-challenger-5-7-r-t-hemi-v8-auto/4484401

Gtr's are far from ugly, they are just not pretty, they are purposeful and mean looking, described by a female friend of mine to her son, that car gives me an erection, what you on about mum you dont have a ..., no I dont but it would give me one if I had one ;)

Gtr's are far from ugly, they are just not pretty, they are purposeful and mean looking, described by a female friend of mine to her son, that car gives me an erection, what you on about mum you dont have a ..., no I dont but it would give me one if I had one ;)

Having seen Ady's in the flesh it looks nice from the rear, not as wide as I expected but from the front looks too square if that sounds right... but an absolute beast of a machine so who cares how pretty it looks :shrug:

How about a nice TVR?

Surely that has occasion?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507185313441

Please don't shoot me. I know its not a V8

Good shout and you'd have budget left over for the heavy servicing requirement.

Not sure what to add as so much has been covered already. I would go Gaydon if only to tell the grandkids that I owned a manual NA Aston once upon a time. The Maser is lovely but a heavy, blunt autoslusher designed principally for the US market. The Vantage is, arguably, becoming a bit of an icon. Nobody will likely give a hoot about the maser in 50 years.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. The owners' experience of servicing costs is interesting too.

The maser GT is at the top of my list atm, and after speaking to someone that's had a couple of each, he suggested the maser was a much better buy. I have yet to drive an Aston (or GTR) but have taken out a 4.2 granturismo this week.

It was a very nice experience . Looks fantastic in the flesh, the interior is a lovely place to be, you can tell it's an expensive car.

It drove and handled much better than I expected from a car of its size and weight and the auto box was a pleasant surprise. The manual options on the slush box, ie the paddles and stick worked very well. Not blink of an eye quick, but quicker than I can change a manual.

The noise.....omg, such a lovely tone when down in the lower revs and a howling growl when nearer the red line! A little quieter than I would have liked in the cabin but it is a gt car after all. With the windows down though.......wow.

The 4.2 was actually quicker than I expected after reading some reviews, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was definitely a bit slower than my zed (but that has 40 hp more and weighs 300kg less) but it certainly wasn't a slouch and the noise and sense of occasion pretty much made up for it.

That said , I don't know how long it would satisfy me for .......hmm......so maybe I should be looking at the 4.7s . They are over 40k though and that is a hell of a lot of money for a car. And there are a lot of good cars out there in that price range!

There has been some good shouts for other options and I have been a tvr fan forever , I like the T350 but I don't love it. I've been tempted many times by a cerbera, and I love the Tuscan , but something keeps stopping me. Now a sagaris...that would be nice. Wish I had the money a few years ago when they were 30k !

• Like 2

I've already decided what my next car will be, even though it's a few years off... Audi R8 ;)

Edit: More appropriate smiley, and that is unless my overwhelming desire for an R32 GT-R doesn't win the day...

Edited by BobbyZ