Maserati Granturismo, Aston Vantage or ...... Decision P8

Sam Mcgoo

Which would you choose?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What wold you choose?

• Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8
    • Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3 V8
    • Something else - please suggest in post.

• 1 month later...

So after selling my Zed :byebye: and then narrowly missing out on the ART demo 370z (Just because it came up at the right time) I'm back on this.

The delay in moving forward is because my work is going through a round of compulsory redundancies .....30% of us! So that could put a massive spanner in the works. :surrender:

I will find out in the next 2-3 weeks if I'm one of the unlucky ones. If I am, I'm going to MASSIVELY regret selling my Zed as there isn't another car I would rather have for under 20k and I'm still gonna want a decentish car. So fingers crossed. If I do get made redundant I'll probably try a 370z.

So staying positive I'm looking and researching the net again ready for the next purchase.

Since there has been a little delay, I've managed to save a little more towards the car fund, so if all goes well I could possibly stretch to 45k. That has its own problems. There are a lot of nice cars for 45k!

Anyway, top of the list at the moment is still the Maserati Granturismo. However, now the budget alIows I think it will have to be the 4.7S and not the 4.2. Probably the MC shift, but not ruling out the auto until I've driven them both back to back as the MC is a bit marmite apparently.

The servicing costs are going to be pricey, but its only every 2 years/12000 miles so not so bad. The thing that scares me is the cost of normal things that can and do go wrong such as AC pump £1000, Clutch £2000, Variators (valve timing) £5000 and even a headlight washer £600 :doh: so a warranty would be a must I would think.

That said I keep watching this and then don't care - :cloud9: -

A close second on my list is....(yes Adrian)...R35 GTR. Now I know its not a V8, and it hasn't got the passion or sense of occasion of the masser but its hard to argue its value for money. 40-45k will get you a decent one with 600bhp quite comfortably and that is tempting. I would like to have owned one one day as they are such a legendary car and they are holding their money very well. It would have to be black for me as the colour hides the ugly nose better.

45k should get a 2011 facelift, which then stretches the servicing from the ridiculous 6mths/6k to 12 months/9k which would make me happier. I'm not liking the sound of the usual poor Nissan paint on them though and spending that much on a car that has a known corrosion problem might bother me.

Obviously they are very quick. And that will be exciting in its own way. But are they exciting to drive?

I've always had RWD cars and I love the feeling of the car moving about when your pressing on, not sideways round every corner, but a little squirm here and there. I can't see that on the road I'm ever going to be able to get a GTR anywhere near loosing traction, so will I find that boring after a while or will the sheer speed be enough?

Just to make it even harder I've just noticed that V6 supercharged F-type Jags would be in that budget. :bang:

First world problems eh? :blush:

• Like 1

So after selling my Zed :byebye: and then narrowly missing out on the ART demo 370z (Just because it came up at the right time) I'm back on this.

The delay in moving forward is because my work is going through a round of compulsory redundancies .....30% of us! So that could put a massive spanner in the works. :surrender:

I will find out in the next 2-3 weeks if I'm one of the unlucky ones. If I am, I'm going to MASSIVELY regret selling my Zed as there isn't another car I would rather have for under 20k and I'm still gonna want a decentish car. So fingers crossed. If I do get made redundant I'll probably try a 370z.

So staying positive I'm looking and researching the net again ready for the next purchase.

Since there has been a little delay, I've managed to save a little more towards the car fund, so if all goes well I could possibly stretch to 45k. That has its own problems. There are a lot of nice cars for 45k!

Anyway, top of the list at the moment is still the Maserati Granturismo. However, now the budget alIows I think it will have to be the 4.7S and not the 4.2. Probably the MC shift, but not ruling out the auto until I've driven them both back to back as the MC is a bit marmite apparently.

The servicing costs are going to be pricey, but its only every 2 years/12000 miles so not so bad. The thing that scares me is the cost of normal things that can and do go wrong such as AC pump £1000, Clutch £2000, Variators (valve timing) £5000 and even a headlight washer £600 :doh: so a warranty would be a must I would think.

That said I keep watching this and then don't care - :cloud9: -

A close second on my list is....(yes Adrian)...R35 GTR. Now I know its not a V8, and it hasn't got the passion or sense of occasion of the masser but its hard to argue its value for money. 40-45k will get you a decent one with 600bhp quite comfortably and that is tempting. I would like to have owned one one day as they are such a legendary car and they are holding their money very well. It would have to be black for me as the colour hides the ugly nose better.

45k should get a 2011 facelift, which then stretches the servicing from the ridiculous 6mths/6k to 12 months/9k which would make me happier. I'm not liking the sound of the usual poor Nissan paint on them though and spending that much on a car that has a known corrosion problem might bother me.

Obviously they are very quick. And that will be exciting in its own way. But are they exciting to drive?

I've always had RWD cars and I love the feeling of the car moving about when your pressing on, not sideways round every corner, but a little squirm here and there. I can't see that on the road I'm ever going to be able to get a GTR anywhere near loosing traction, so will I find that boring after a while or will the sheer speed be enough?

Just to make it even harder I've just noticed that V6 supercharged F-type Jags would be in that budget. :bang:

First world problems eh? :blush:

Good luck with your continued search Sam.

Quite few of us have and are still in the same position as you and it's such a tough decision to make.

Just to let you know after all the dosh I spent on the performance and handling upgrades my car definatley still moved around when pressing on!! Lol

• Like 1

Richard Grace Maserati has got a Granturismo for sale for I think 32k mate......Stunning thing

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah I did see that, very good price. Is that the guy you do the detailing for? I've heard nothing but praise for him on the Maserati forum.

I'm not sure I could live with that RED interior though, its very bright! It looks cool from outside the car, the red/black but not sure it wouldn't be too much when sitting in there. To be fair, I haven't seen the red in the flesh though.

He also has a 4.7GTS that I like the look of for just under 45k. I really need to speak to him, as everybody says hes a very helpful guy whether your purchasing from him or not.

Richard Grace Maserati has got a Granturismo for sale for I think 32k mate......Stunning thing

Yeah I did see that, very good price. Is that the guy you do the detailing for? I've heard nothing but praise for him on the Maserati forum.

I'm not sure I could live with that RED interior though, its very bright! It looks cool from outside the car, the red/black but not sure it wouldn't be too much when sitting in there. To be fair, I haven't seen the red in the flesh though.

He also has a 4.7GTS that I like the look of for just under 45k. I really need to speak to him, as everybody says hes a very helpful guy whether your purchasing from him or not.

One of the best looking cars around for the same price as a 320d....When your driving you cannot see the colour of the seats anyways :blush:

One of the best looking cars around for the same price as a 320d....When your driving you cannot see the colour of the seats anyways :blush:

Same money as a soot chucker golf albeit a nearly new one.

I'll be deadly honest I detailed that GT and every last person who saw the interior said it was hideous. Looked OK to me but then I did have a black TT with red leather

Shame you don't like white, I could have sold you mine :lol:

Really curious to see what your final decision would be, good luck finding the most awesome car! Please post photos here the second you agree to buy it! :lol:

Shame you don't like white, I could have sold you mine :lol:

Really curious to see what your final decision would be, good luck finding the most awesome car! Please post photos here the second you agree to buy it! :lol:

White is my second choice colour ;) . Your not seriously selling already are you?

Hell of a lot of reading in this so I only done a few pages :lol: I have been in the early 380bhp Vantages and I was left a little underwhelmed tbh, interior isn't as nice as you'd think. If it came to the two, I'd be having the Maserati easily. However the bills for both can be...horrific, if I couldn't have the 4.7 Maser or a DB9! For the budget you could have a barely run in XKR (and the interiors in them are fine, newer ones are lovely places to be). Not got the same 'effect' but near as damn just as good looking... infact It IS just as good looking, besides fuel etc running cost aren't that much, nowhere near the Aston or Maser for repairs/servicing and then theres the big hitter.. it might not be able to put its power down as effectively as newer cars but you still get...510bhp and it sounds amazing. I'm slightly biased as I want an XKR (well my budgets a 4.2 - and even they have about 416-420bhp..whatever it is) but that's on hold for now. Just throwing it out there... Otherwise out those two...Maser. :thumbs:

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

Interesting thread - I am considering the same choices for my next motor after I am done with the 370Z.

I have decided I won't go the GTR route for the simple reason that it is too soon and will spoil my enjoyment of anything else that follows.

Once you have tasted that sort of performance I am sure everything sub-hypercar just feels slow.

I am delierately taking my time in gradually moving onto incrementally quicker cars so as to enjoy and savour each stage of the journey. :)

I think for me on paper the Aston looks like the winner as it is such a classy thing - a gentleman's car. The Maser is also appealing but to me however the lines look a bit bulbous from certain angles.

I think if I were you I would save a little longer to ensure a the budget could stretch to the later 4.7 Aston or Maser as these are reportedly a lot more car for the money and address some of the earlier cars' failings.

Either way hopefully redundancy does not impact you and you can make the step when the time comes. Will be interested to see how this unfolds.

• Like 1

I have decided I won't go the GTR route for the simple reason that it is too soon and will spoil my enjoyment of anything else that follows.

Sorry, but thats a ridiculous statement - even from the cars mentioned in this thread an M6, Maserati, 911 and a Mustang are all totally different experiences, even my current 4 seater is capable of performance very similar to a GTR but delivers it in a totally different way. You dont have to drive everywhere at 10/10ths either ......... which is where the GTR falls down for me, its doesnt feel special when doing 45 mph like a Maserati does.

I think for me on paper the Aston looks like the winner as it is such a classy thing - a gentleman's car.

On paper its thirsty, unreliable, underpowered, poorly built and expensive to run. It looks nice, but does that make it more of a "Gentleman's car" than an XKR which does everything better for half the money, or a Cayman that does everything twice as well for the same money?

Maybe Im old fashioned, but if youre spending a big lump of money like this you need to get out and try each option rather then relying on hearsay and conjecture. Im pretty confident if you did that youd end up with the Maserati but discounting a 40K sportscar because its "too fast" is mental.

• Like 1

Sorry, but thats a ridiculous statement - even from the cars mentioned in this thread an M6, Maserati, 911 and a Mustang are all totally different experiences, even my current 4 seater is capable of performance very similar to a GTR but delivers it in a totally different way. You dont have to drive everywhere at 10/10ths either ......... which is where the GTR falls down for me, its doesnt feel special when doing 45 mph like a Maserati does.

^^^This, in bucketloads.

Anyone who thinks that having driven a fast car makes other cars seem rubbish is talking bobbins. The F12 is about as fast a road car as you're likely to reasonably have a chance of driving, and I can promise you that in no way do I feel hard done by when I drive our 182 now. In fact, there's many times I'd rather take the 182 than either my 645 or my old 911, despite being nowhere near as fast. I know, that's not exactly what you were saying and I've exaggerated the point for effect so I apologise for that, but the point stands.

The AMV8 just looks dated to me now. The Maser is still a head turner, and has a Ferrari V8. Given they're both fragile things, and neither are cutting edge in terms of dynamics, I couldn't look further than the Maser.

• Like 1

^^^This, in bucketloads.

Anyone who thinks that having driven a fast car makes other cars seem rubbish is talking bobbins. The F12 is about as fast a road car as you're likely to reasonably have a chance of driving, and I can promise you that in no way do I feel hard done by when I drive our 182 now. In fact, there's many times I'd rather take the 182 than either my 645 or my old 911, despite being nowhere near as fast. I know, that's not exactly what you were saying and I've exaggerated the point for effect so I apologise for that, but the point stands.

The AMV8 just looks dated to me now. The Maser is still a head turner, and has a Ferrari V8. Given they're both fragile things, and neither are cutting edge in terms of dynamics, I couldn't look further than the Maser.

Yeah, I know what you mean. There are times when I'd rather drive my Peugeot 207 than a GTR. For those who think it's ugly, it turned more heads this summer in Europe than Astons and a Porsche it accompanied. Not an empirical fact just an observation.

Santander2017_zpssu2ncwk0.jpg

Edited by yankeesiter

Just spoke to Richard mate and I asked him about warranty.

On that GT as standard he would put a 6 month warranty with a 2k individual claim limit with wear and tear included. You can upgrade it to 15 months for an extra 600 or 24 months for a grand.

He said the warranty company are very good at paying out.

• Like 2

I have just agreed to buy a car in the states (yes I know Im not even out there yet!) but the deal was too good to pass up so it will sit on my father in laws drive for a couple of months till we get out there... Mercs don't float your boat?

Congrats on the purchase. Mercs hmm......I like some of them. I like the C63 AMG, well the noise anyway and some of the mental black editions, but maybe a bit later in life. I like sporty looking cars really.

I have to say if I had £45k and didnt want the performance of a GTR I'd be looking at the Lexus RCF , the sound is great , proper V8 , exceptional gearbox (Unlike the Maserati)

Come January £45k could well put you in a 15 plate, hell of a car for the money and none of the major bills to worry about for another 2 years

12065919_10153694966334664_618151028778903008_n_zpslfwqp6vg.jpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507014808051?postcode=ex96qs&model=rc_f&quicksearch=true&page=1&make=lexus&radius=1500&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&search-target=usedcars&sort=default&logcode=p