I'm in need of an air rifle

ioneabee

we have a crow infestation !!..........and they are bloody loud :help:

anyone have any recommendations for a good (but cheap - or second hand) rifle ......... probably best with a zoom scope as well

anyone have any recommendations for a good (but cheap - or second hand) rifle ......... probably best with a zoom scope as well

I assume this is tongue in cheek?

Crows are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

You can only kill them if they are causing a serious agricultural of public health threat. And even then you need a license.

• Like 1

You can only kill them if they are causing a serious agricultural of public health threat. And even then you need a license.

sadly not - I was under the impression that crows were carrion and are not protected in any way

I read this on a gun site this morning ............ but i've misread it - bugger

it included crows as viable targets ............ but only in the situation you've mentioned - scrap that idea then :dry:

Er, the Act does not protect Crows, Pigeons or some Gulls:

"There are instances when you would not be in violation of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. For example, it’s not usually necessary to apply for a specific licence for species such as crows, pigeons and some members of the gull family."

see under " Managing Wild Birds" : https://www.gov.uk/wild-birds

I found this out talking with neighbours as there ar a lot of Gulls and pigeons in our area and their crap is something to be believed ....... :dry:

Where are u based? I have a weihrauch hw50s .177 break barrel rifle I don't need but I won't post. Very good rifle, very straight, pellet on pellet at 30 yards is easily achievable, Iv shimmed the barrel to quieten the "twang", Got a great illuminated scope on it too.

I'm in leeds, pm if interested but again, Collection only ðŸ‘

Er, the Act does not protect Crows, Pigeons or some Gulls:

"There are instances when you would not be in violation of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. For example, it’s not usually necessary to apply for a specific licence for species such as crows, pigeons and some members of the gull family."

see under " Managing Wild Birds" : https://www.gov.uk/wild-birds

I found this out talking with neighbours as there ar a lot of Gulls and pigeons in our area and their crap is something to be believed ....... :dry:

Hmmmmm.

RSBP advise differently.

I have done a fair bit of shooting, single and multi shot, but as i got older i never felt comfortable with shooting anything i wasnt going to eat.

I know birds such as crows can be a real problem.

I would actually recommend just getting something to scare them first (or try), see if that does the trick, often a well placed dummy hawk does the job, but you will have to move it as they become used to it being in one spot. Try a good old fashioned scare crow, cd's on a piece of string etc

If all else fails, get a bb gun, you wont kill them, unlikely to even hit them, but the noise and something wizzing past them will unsettle them enough.

• Like 1

Chop the trees down. Sorted ;)

the trees have more protection than the birds :wacko:

Really? Our district council has just removed tree preservations orders from a lot of trees in our area and also removed the need to seek permission to crown reduce/thin. Info here http://www.trees.org.uk/tree-care-advice/tree-terminology Check with your local council as to what the regs are in your area. We and neighbours have recently done this to "migrate" the local wood pigeon population. It worked too, they've gone :) And no birds were killed either :surrender:

I have done a fair bit of shooting, single and multi shot, but as i got older i never felt comfortable with shooting anything i wasnt going to eat.

I know birds such as crows can be a real problem.

I would actually recommend just getting something to scare them first (or try), see if that does the trick, often a well placed dummy hawk does the job, but you will have to move it as they become used to it being in one spot. Try a good old fashioned scare crow, cd's on a piece of string etc

If all else fails, get a bb gun, you wont kill them, unlikely to even hit them, but the noise and something wizzing past them will unsettle them enough.

^^What he said.

Try some good old fashioned scare tactics first. ;)