Time for a change

Will370z

So I have owned Rosie for nearly three years now, wow time certainly has flown by quickly and don't think I've stopped smiling since I picked up the keys.

So many happy memories in this car. Numerous trips to Wales with my buddies, around Devon and the South coast. Up to the lakes and a number of meets in the Midlands. Then the epic trip of 2500 miles around Europe around austria and Italy and the Alps. Amazing. Even got to do a couple of trips up Prescott hill climb and 2 laps around rockingham.

We have covered 43,000 miles together and she still feels like new and that noise, oooooh that noise. Such fun

IMG_2417_zps89decfde.jpg

IMG_2458_zps45a205f2.jpg

IMG_2200_zpsb2460357.jpg

IMG_9208.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

4udy8agy.jpg

But recently I have been after something more practical and comfortable, it's a little cosy in that cockpit at over 2m tall. Hiring a couple of diesels recently to ship stuff when I moved made me realise the value of comfort and more seats, space and wow how many miles you can cover in a diesel.

So I started looking at other cars. Really fell for the BMW 420d, loved m5's, looked at golfs and the new focus. Lots of temptations. Even liked the new qashqai. Found myself on autotrader more and more and decided it was time for a change. So I did.......

Thing is, every time I got in Rosie I had a huge smile on my face. Dam she's good fun when you put your foot down. And I have had such fun and met such good friends through car meets that it's more than a car now, it's a big piece of my social life. Then there is the fact that she's so rare on the road and every car I went to see I'd look back at Rosie and to the other car and say "nope just doesn't do it for me".

Until today, saw a great little car, 5 doors, comfy, very economical, a few years old and got some miles under her belt but looks and feels brand new. It's a skoda Octavia estate and I have to say she's a real gem. So comfy.

And the best news. She fits nicely on the drive next to Rosie. Realised there's just no way I can sell her, she's a keeper. Such a cracking car for the money and hard to replace. Now she can be used purely for fun and more road trips and I have a comfy gem of a car for every day hauling. Perfect.

So looks like you lot are stuck with me for a little while longer while I have fun in my shed

• Like 18

I remember the first time we met at Horsham and thought there was no way someone as tall as you would last for long in a ZED, but survive you did and good to hear you have made a sensible decision as I really do miss ZED ownership. :(

I hope my next car will give me a similar buzz as well as being a bit more family focused......... :ninja:

• Like 1

I remember the first time we met at Horsham and thought there was no way someone as tall as you would last for long in a ZED, but survive you did and good to hear you have made a sensible decision as I really do miss ZED ownership. :(

I hope my next car will give me a similar buzz as well as being a bit more family focused......... :ninja:

Your new toy looks fantastic Colin, can't wait for a passenger lap around the evo.

I shared the same feelings earlier in the year! Just moved into a new house with lots of DIY to do, and the 370z was not exactly practical for trip to the dump or B&Q!

Toyed with selling for a decent estate (Was looking at S4's, and even the new Focus ST estate), but then thought how i would hate myself if i then had to put a load of rubbish into the boot of them!

In the end, i stole a couple of grand out of the house fund and got a low mileage 53 plate focus estate! Its not great, but i use it daily and it is yet to let me down. Managed to got a 3 seat sofa in the back with the hatch closed!!

Makes the Z so much more special when you jump back into it on the weekend!

Glad you're keeping her Will. An appropriate application of 'man maths' has meant you have some practicality and comfort with the Skoda. While still having all the smiles, fun and friendship that Rosie brings.

It's not just about the look, the acceleration or the 0-60 time is it? Sometimes it's difficult for people to understand, it's about the 'feeling' too. That's why we have to keep these cars. :)

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Yup totally right and you can't argue with man maths.

And yes some people just don't get it, I was talking to some people at work and the universal consensus is they can't wait for driverless Google cars. I told them that's my worst nightmare and I will be there in my loud gas guzzling zed while they are chauffeur driven in their little boxes

• Like 4

Had me worried there for a bit that you were selling Rosie! But it sounds like you got a good result there.

I know the other year when I was able to use the wifes old diesel in the week and keep my zed for weekend use I really found that I enjoyed using the zed a lot lot more than when I was using it as my 100mile a day commuting car. It felt like a completely different car. Unfortunately in the end for me the cost of running 2 cars (insurance/tax/mot/servicing etc etc) was too much and I just couldnt justify it - so I sold both cars and went for my 123d coupe. I dont miss the zed as much as I expected to be honest. I do miss it in the summer sometimes when I miss not having the roof down and the noise of that HR engine through the aftermarket exhaust. That was great fun and made the commute home from work more fun.

I think the reason I dont miss it as much is that the 123d coupe is such a good little car. It really gets upto 3 figures very quickly, certainly quicker than a lot of other car drivers seem to appreciate and handles really well. I feel more confident pushing it hard than I ever did in my zed. I am still debating whether to remap it or not as you can get over 300bhp & 400ft/lb torque out of it now with a simple remap which is pretty amazing from a 2litre twin turbo.

• Like 1