Headlights fogged up HELP!

Spatt

Been running with my Xenon lights on a lot and they have got a weird matt 'fogged up' like finish on them now (Not internal)... i'm told this is common with high powered lights and is easily removable with the right polish.. Why does this happen? Some advice please and will waxing these once its gone help prevent it coming back so quick?

• 6 months later...

I did mine with 2500 grit wet and dry and then polished them up with menzerna polish. Applied some bilt hamber auto balm after to give some uv protection after. They came up really well tbh.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add to this thread now as today I used the Meguairs headlight restoration kit "plus" on my Zed.

It's their new version of the kit which includes 4 grades of wet & dry on two handy little pads.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGUIARS-ONE-STEP-HEADLIGHT-RESTORATION-KIT-BRAND-NEW-IN-STOCK-/160846872489?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

1stepheadlight.png

Firstly I used the kit without trying the sanding pads ~ this gave me a good finish but there was still bad fogging on the corners of my lights. So I manned up and used the sanding pads.

It was worrying at first as obviously you are adding scratches at first when you use the pads. In fact after using the first grade of pad and wiping off the water you can see it totally hazes your entire light cover. I persevered with the sanding using one grade at a time, lots of water and following the instructions using one side to side, then the next up & down and so on.

Once I had completed the sanding steps I then went back to using the mop and PlastX ~ this was when the magic happened and finally my headlights look "almost" as good as new again. Very happy with the results and wish I'd tried this in the first place rather than the other products I had tried which where useless. :thumbs:

• Like 1

To be fair i've never tried it with autosol - i've always used megs on it but i thought autosol was fine for this too?

Autosol is fine. I've used it before. One of the better things to use by hand

Depends how bad they are but I use 2000 grit wet and dry, rotary and a decent cutting compound

http://www.revolveautomotiveltd.com/headlight-restoration.html

I use Megs plast rx on a medium pad on the Megs g220 DA - as someone said mask off the paintwork.

5 min job with a machine polisher.

Would be interested if anybody has found a sealant that prevents it re-fogging.

I used TURTLEWAX HEADLIGHT RESTORATION KIT on Sunday.

Similar to the Megs kit previously posted.

4 different grades of pads.

Spray bottle of lube for the pads.

Bottle of refining polish.

Base coat sealer wipe.

Topcoat sealer wipe.

I corrected my lights a while back with a machine and some Menzerna polishes but the oxidation started to return so gave this a shot.

Only needed to use the compound on mine.

Couldn't be bothered getting the machine out and masking off.

So I did it by hand using an old sock :lol:

Came up nice real fast using firm pressure.

About 5 hits tops did the job.

Then used the sealant wipes which need 24 hours to cure.

WARNING

The final top coat sealer wipe is too saturated with sealant.

The first light I did has a slight rippling due to excess sealant similar to paint brush strokes. Second one and my rear lights were fine as there was no longer excess on the wipe.

If doing again I would use a kitchen towel to remove excess sealant from the wipe before using.

However this definitely shows the sealant lays a protective top coat.

The kit is available in most large Tescos for £12

• Like 1

The process that I've gone through to clear foggy headlight lenses is to rub the lense down with 2500grit wet n dry, masking off any parts that are liable to be damaged. If the 2500 grit doesn't clear all of the fogginess and all of the scratches then use 3000grit. Then go and buy some exterior, clear, UV protectant gloss varnish for yachts. The reason for this is that yachts spend most of their life outside, therefore a good quality UV protectant yacht varnish will do the job on the lenses of the 350Z. I did a mates car about five years ago and they still look as good as new.