Gary Speed - RIP

UNABASHED

As a Leeds fan I was gutted when the news first came through, as he remains the only pro footballer I've ever met many years ago outside Highbury after we beat the Gooners 3-1 at their place, and he signed my programme for me too. My first ever game as well, I was the happiest kid on earth back then! He was an absolute legend for us back in the day, worked so hard and had a great touch along with a strong tackle, perfect midfielder.

I can't accept suicide as a way out though, his poor family will be distraught over this, especially his sons. No person should do that to the people they care about, there's always another way. No doubting the guy's talents as a footballer and he always came across as a nice bloke, but I can't help but feel let down by one of my childhood heroes today. I know that's not considered a very PC viewpoint and will no doubt stir some tough feelings, but it's something I feel strongly about.

I can't accept suicide as a way out though, his poor family will be distraught over this, especially his sons. No person should do that to the people they care about, there's always another way. No doubting the guy's talents as a footballer and he always came across as a nice bloke, but I can't help but feel let down by one of my childhood heroes today. I know that's not considered a very PC viewpoint and will no doubt stir some tough feelings, but it's something I feel strongly about.

If it wasn't so inappropriate I think I'd be getting OMG cat out again.......jesus Dan.

+1

For anybody who's "been there" and got through it, you'll understand this poem perfectly. For those who have never suffered from depression, it explains a lot.

I "swam back"......................Gary wasn't so lucky. RIP.

Not Waving But Drowning by Stevie Smith

Nobody heard him, the dead man,

But still he lay moaning:

I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking

And now he's dead

It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,

They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always

(Still the dead one lay moaning)

I was much too far out all my life

Just drove passed his house when the guy was test driving the Lancer - parasitic scum from the press were parked outside in their vans.

I understand that its terrible to commit suicide when the guy has a family but you just can't make a judgement on it - you don't know what pushed him or why he did it and anyone who can't have sympathy for him is seriously missing some human empathy

Bloody hell, that's very moving mate.

I guess if you've never been there then you just can't comment, so thanks for sharing.

RIP Gary Speed

For anybody who's "been there" and got through it, you'll understand this poem perfectly. For those who have never suffered from depression, it explains a lot.

I "swam back"......................Gary wasn't so lucky. RIP.

Not Waving But Drowning by Stevie Smith

Nobody heard him, the dead man,

But still he lay moaning:

I was much further out than you thought

Poor chap, he always loved larking

And now he's dead

It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,

They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always

(Still the dead one lay moaning)

I was much too far out all my life

Its absolutely awful news; I'm a Manchester United fan and much like McAllister & Scholes, Speed was one of those players who got on with it, was incredibly talented, intelligent, pleasant and a great man. He seemed to have everything going for him and indeed heading in the right direction.

RIP Gary and my thoughts go out to you and your family.

Utterly shocked. Saw him wandering around Chester a couple of months ago and he didn't seem to have a care in the world. Local lad, he went to the same school as me and my daughter and he'll be sadly missed. One of those guys who didn't make any enemies, reading through the posts on the LFC forum yesterday it was obvious that Liverpool fans thought very highly of him. Just so sad.

Pete

An outwardly happy and successful man does not commit suicide for no reason. Something here stinks.

There was also suggestion that Speed, a former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers player, had recently learned that a tabloid newspaper was to print a story about his private life.

The Sun newspaper denied online accusations.

A message on the paper’s official Twitter account read: “No truth in this story. The Sun was not investigating Gary Speed in any way.â€

Now why would I not be surprised?

http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/

RIP Gary Speed.