How much money have you spent on cars over the years?

marzman

So i've been doing some man maths tonight to help me justify a new car purchase. :D

I've been driving for 12 years and in that time i've had 18 cars.

My car buying habits have always been to get the best cars i can at the bottom of their depreciation curve (or as close to it). The newest car i've ever owned was my first zed, which was 4 years old... but most of the cars have usually averaged around 8-10 years old.

I've had some pretty good cars i reckon... 2x 350z's, 1x 911 (996), 1x Range Rover Sport, and 6x 3-series BMW's!

I usually buy my cars with a personal loan and since getting my first proper job i've paid for a loan ever since (currently pay around £400 p/m).

I've just worked out how much money i've physically lost in that 12 years, i.e. money that i now have nothing to show for it, which must be made up of interest and depreciation.

Over the full 12 years i've been driving, i've 'lost' £26.3k, which is £182 per month average. If I take out the early years when i had cheap cars and just calculate based on the time i've had a personal loan it's actually £23k and £261 per month.

So.... £261 per month in the bin over the years. Damn... i wanted that number to be bigger to help with the justification for a brand new car...!!

EDIT - none of the above includes maintenance or modifications. Maintenance is essential and mods are a personal choice which shouldnt come into it, as we all know we're not going to make our money back here!

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1

Too much :lol:

16 cars in 13 years for me :lol:

I worked out when I owned my original Z that once everything was taken into account, I was at Gallardo money and the 2JZ build was well into R35 money :(

• Like 1

Too much :lol:

16 cars in 13 years for me :lol:

I worked out when I owned my original Z that once everything was taken into account, I was at Gallardo money and the 2JZ build was well into R35 money :(

Bet you'd do it again :lol:

:innocent:

You make it sound like we should spend money on something else, assuming we had any left over after ;)

I don't care to look at it like that, everyone knows cars are a depreciating asset, and I just enjoy it while it lasts.

Problem is trying to control whether it's a good idea to invest in the current car, or upgrade to something else

Funds provided, I would probably swap cars twice a year, tend to get bored of my cars quickly - Had the Zed for a year now and still smile when she starts up :D

I'm a bit like you Mike. I'd gladly swap out my car every few months and get bored of cars far to easily but the Zed is one car that's kept me hooked. So much so I had to have a second when I had to get rid of the first. Just the feeling of being inside it makes me so happy.

The amount of money I've put into my car I'm never going to see again but it doesn't bother me as it makes me happy. If I was so bothered about the money I'd be trading in the Zed for a push bike.

Ummm. First car, Renault Clio - 13k + 4k body repairs + springs and dampers 300 + Pioneer head unit 230.

Nissan Primera. 500 quid for car. 330 quid for custom straight through exhaust. (T.G Silencers in Rochdale. 1000£ roughly for 18's with Toyo Tyres.

Honda Civic VTI. 900 quid car. Full VTiS bodykit 300 ish. About a billion quid in oil.

Pug 106 zest. 400 quid.

Toyota Yaris. 500 quid.

Ford Mondeo. 600 quid.

Ford Focus ST170 750 quid.

Nissan 350Z. 5250 for car. 930 quid Uprev, plenum spacer, HKS Panel filter, dyno tuning.

3500 quid used turbo kit. 2500 fitting. 400 ish TDI North decat pipes. 4200 quid fully uprated shortblock. 980 quid 4x Michelin MPSS tyres.

Soon: big brake kit. 3000£

Clutch 500£ ish

Coilovers 800£

More still to come.

Ford fiesta 1.1 £50 16 years old

Peugeot 106 1.1 £8000 new

Vauxhall corsa 1.8 SRI £13000 new

Ford Focus 1.6 £9500 1 year old

VW Golf 1.9 GTTDI £4000 8 years old

BMW 320D £8000 7 years old

Nissan 350Z £10300 8 years old

The joy of driving - priceless

There are some things money cant buy, for everything else theres mastercard 💳

The real killer for me is the insurance I have paid out over 50 years and only made one claim for windscreen glass....

....oh, the number of handbags I have bought to buy off the other 'alf each time I changed cars :lol:

And on the cars themselves, I dread to think and to save worrying about that I haven't kept records so not sure how many hundreds of thousands :blush:

• Like 2

A few people are missing my point here i think...

I understand the 'not bothered how much' approach... I wish I could think like this but I'm too tight with my money.

I've probably spent £70k+ on the cars I've owned, but I've always sold them on so probably made £50k of that back so in real terms i've only 'spent' £20k + interest.

i have had in excess of 50 cars in the last 5 years. - bought and sold.

ive only actually 'owned' about 7 - and all them i lost money - including my current s/c zed that blew its engine, caught fire and destroyed itself...

so hopefully i've broken even... just.

I couldnt tell you how much, its only been since 2000 ish since i have focussed on cars, before that it was a motorbikes and a cheap daily. Soon as i got into cars i was pretty lucky, i had the Japanese import auctions on my doorstep at Southampton so would go down there, buy something and sell it on a year or so later at a profit or at the very least for what it cost. My first Rx7 i made good money on and never really got past spending what i started with in the first place + whatever extra i made, i think my fi'd 350 was the most i have actually shelled out for a car, after my bike accident and being left with hideous debts i coudnt pay due to being off work so long, i hate borrowing money.

Edited by Jetpilot

Good question OP, never have worked out just the deprecation 'costs', not had that many cars...

Mondeo ST24 -> DC2 Teg £1K lost in 6 months

DC2 Teg -> 350Z, £4K lost in 10 months....At this point I learnt an important life lesson. Never trust a car dealer :lol:

350Z -> 335i, £13K lost in 4.5 years.

335i -> Leaf, £8K lost in 4 years.

Leaf ->????. Unknown

So in total £26K lost in deprecation/initial capital over roughly 10 years, or £216/month, which is about how much the leaf is costing me. Though clearly mods/insurance/garage/fuel costs will probably double that figure.

So like the OP I'm quite surprised at how "little" money I've wasted on cars. I have a bad feeling though in the next 12 months that might end up changing, and that figure may double/triple!!! Though I can afford it, when it comes down to parting with the cash it may turn out to be a different story.

• Like 1

Interest = £0

Depreciation = £480

10 years of driving.

Cars = Clio, Calibra, Alfa GTV. Current is the Z.

Call me old fashion but I don't believe in borrowing Money. (other than mortgage). Can't afford it don't buy it. :dry: Which helps keeps costs down, also most the cars I have owned are 7-8 years old.

Hence £4 per month. :teeth:

• Like 3

Had bangers worth couple hundred quid from 1995 to 1998.

Then spent £9200 on a 5 yr old Honda Prelude (cars seemed so much more expensive then)

Ran it for 7 yrs then gifted it to my younger brother.

2005 and I blew £30k on my zed with factory Nismo bodykit......and another £1200 on the 19'LMGT4s.

Probably only worth 7k no.

So I've lost about £32k over 18 yrs.

BUT ONLY IF I SELL UP.

In my heart, after a good detail my Zed is still worth every penny me.

If I were to go back in time?

Wouldn't change a thing.

Except maybe change to Azure Blue.

Or buy a Bayside Blue R34!

I bet I wouldn't have lost £23k over 11 yrs if I had got a 2nd hand Gtr back in 2005!

• Like 1