The worst car you ever owned

Flex

My 306 GTI-6 cost me far too much to maintain for what it was. Good fun to cane though. My first car was the worst, a Corsa Gsi 1.6, although at that age it wasn't bad to start in. My Caterham was a ball ache because you can't lock anything in them, but obviously that's not really the point of them.

So to summarise, I don't think I've owned any genuinely crap cars :D

I never owned it, but an Austin Maestro company car. Gearbox failed within 2 months from new and I wrote it off after 6 haha! Utter crap!

.....followed by Defender 110. I used to get as anxious as hell approaching any kind of gradient as the old girl barely made it to the top.

What do you expect with only 68 horses and and 2 ton! Always had a massive tailback behind me. She got fed up with being driven flat out and chucked a valve through a piston.

Without doubt my Lotus Europa bought in 1972 with 20k on the clock. Faults were.....

Continual leak from the rocker box cover, a standard Renault one didn't fit properly and it was impossible to get one to fit the aftermarket cover.

Gear linkage snapped

Brake pedal fell off, I was doing close to 70 at the time :scare:

Throttle pedal snapped

Door handle broke...it was off an Austin 1100.

Hub nuts at the rear constantly came loose. Lotus used a locking washer, absolute rubbish.

Non standard exhaust needed tightening every few days.

Both rear shocks failed within days of each other.

Paint "spidered"

Electric windows stuck in the on position occasionally, flattening the battery.

Speedo cable snapped.

Engine mounting snapped when I went over a sleeping policeman at Pontins in Rhyl (yes, they had them back then)

Twin Weber carb had to be cleaned every few thousand miles.

Doors needed rehanging.

High winds lifted the boot up and it snapped in two.

Other than that it was great :lol:

Pete

• Like 2

Daewoo Matiz :blush: :blush:

I notice that's not in your signature list for some reason, :dry::lol: ...I'm guessing because you'd rather forget that one. :D

Theres plenty of cars not in my signature :lol: I've had 9 cars in the last 2 years :blush:

• Like 1

Easily an MR2 Roadster.

I realised just how cack it was after a long day at work, following a Zafira people carrier on a roundabout at a perfectly acceptable speed but in the rain... unexpected snap oversteer (no throttle at all) which I just caught. Zafira no problems at all. The MR2 had new tyres as well.

Austin Allegro.

Free floating back seats, a gearbox made of peanut brittle, electrics that would lose the headlights randomly when switching between main beam and dip and a body that oxidised in front of your eyes. Got rid when my dad put his foot through the passenger side floor.

Then dad bought me a 2.0 litre mk 4 Cortina, which I really quite liked, then whilst I was away he decided to trade it in for an Austin Montego, which my brother drove more than me and which was dreadful until he killed it by filling the engine to the brim with oil. You could see the smoke for about a mile.

Lada 1600L. An absolute pile of sh#t! No power steering, brakes you had to push with both feet, kept cutting out when hot because of a fuel evaporation design fault. I used to think it was so bad it was actually cool but on reflection it was just total cr#p.

Edited by leonk
  • Like 1

On balance I think the 1.0 Fiat Uno.

I have had worse cars technically speaking but the others were redeemed by happy memories of holidays or other events which added a "rose tint". I didn't have the Uno long enough for it to develop any redeeming features.

E reg red micra 1.0. Had to hold onto the door as she got up to 70mph. Had this feeling it'd fall off lol.

Hows married life?

Not married yet, got 398 days to go :)

Wedding plans are coming along well and so is the house hunting. It's all getting exciting. Now to just find a new job within the next year too lol.

E reg red micra 1.0. Had to hold onto the door as she got up to 70mph. Had this feeling it'd fall off lol.

Hows married life?

Not married yet, got 398 days to go :)

Wedding plans are coming along well and so is the house hunting. It's all getting exciting. Now to just find a new job within the next year too lol.

A job certainly helps when house hunting!