My GT-R R35 - Ongoing

Sam Mcgoo

Well, following on from this thread; http://www.350z-uk.c...or-decision-p8/ and my need for a V8 :lol: .......I bought an R35 GT-R.

The reasons for which are explained on page 8 of the above thread.

So after seeing and driving a few I made the jump and bought this one. It's a 59 plate Black Edition.

20160116_162729_zpsvq5xexgo.jpg

20160116_162803_zpsjqqyvxrj.jpg

20160116_162938_zpsk4pflv9a.jpg

Screenshot_2016-01-14-17-51-53_zpsxcevk0ka.png

I made sure it had Sat Nav, Bluetooth, i-pod connectivity etc. as most of the earlier ones didn't have it although they all seem to say they do in the adverts! :wacko: The trick is to look at the pics and see if it has the MAP button on the lower left of the MFD(screen).

This is my first AWD drive car, my first non-manual car, in fact every car I've owned in my 20yrs driving has been a Front Engine - RWD manual. (Bar one actually, a FWD Celica GT) So I was a bit apprehensive as to whether I'd like it. My main concern being that I'm used to, and enjoy a car squirming about a bit and occasionally forcing a loose rear end exiting corners etc..So will I find it boring?

I know its early days in my ownership (about 2 months and 1500miles) but I can honestly say I don't think it will be a problem. I'm yet to push it to the point where it looses traction, as I'm still getting used to the different handling characteristics of being AWD, although it seems to run RWD most of the time looking at the torque split on the display.

What a weapon!! :teeth:

It's a Litchfield Stage 1 tune on EcuTek V5 , so making somewhere between 570 - 600 bhp and I think around 540lbft torque. I've never driven, or been in anything like it. Its scary how fast you can go in such little time and distance, you really have to be thinking a long way down the road when pressing on. And much like the Zeds, your going a lot faster than it feels!

The way it drives has exceeded my expectations. Although there is lots of electrickary going on every 100th of a second or so, you just can't tell. It feels so mechanical and not at all detached, it really is surprising. It probably helps that it sounds very mechanical as well. Sometimes clonking and clicking like a tractor :lol: when when your doing low speed parking maneuvers You can hear the drivetrain most of the time. But it certainly gives it character.

And here's a couple of sunset shots - (sorry about how dirty it is and they are just phone pics)

20160119_161450_zpszstxtepu.jpg

20160119_161349_zpsm5sbergz.jpg

:)

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 13

Nice one Sam, it will get better and better once you start pushing on.

Book your self some track time and let loose. :drive1

Once you start experimenting with the settings, the fun will really begin.

I am now at stage 4.5 after saying that this one was staying standard, I am so weak. :lol:

Enjoy mate and congratulations. :#1:

• Like 3

Cheers guys. :thumbs: They are a bit marmite in the looks department (i don't particularly like the front of them much :lol: ) but the but in the flesh and in red I think it helps.

I hope to get it on track at some point this year, probably Snetterton as its close and I used to take the Zed there so will be good to compare. Wouldn't mind a a run at Santa pod also just to see what its like!

It's due a big service this month (circa £1k :scare: ) and gonna get the gearbox solenoids cleaned out as a preventative measure as it seems that's where most of the gearbox issues can materialise from. Once that is done , I'll probably get booked in for some track action. :drive1

So, my first week of ownership was't the best, nothing major but was bricking it until I found the problem -

Went for a spin and started to push it, on accelerating had a lack of power and a misfire. After a bit of trialing I ascertained that the problem was probably a boost leak due to the fact that whenever the car went from vacuum to boost it felt like I hit a brick wall and as soon as back into vacuum o part throttle it would run fine. Also - no engine warning light.

So on returning/limping home I started to investigate.

I gave Sly (Kaizer) a quick call to confirm I was thinking along the right lines and he was very helpful and agreed it sounded like a boost leak.

I checked all the pipework that was accessible from the engine bay and couldn't find any issues.

On plugging in the OBDII reader it showed running rich on bank 1 , so i decided to start there.

I made a DIY boost leak tester using stuff I had in the garage .... a plastic mug, a hockey puck and a shreader valve ! :lol:

20160125_154114_zpsopwwswlh.jpg

20160125_154124_zpstkumpk8z.jpg

On connecting an airline I could not get it to hold an air at all!

After a quick google on how to go about it, I removed the undertray and the bumper to inspect the rest of the pipe work and this is what I found;

20160125_200533_zpsmvwrki85.jpg

20160125_195948_zpsgb4zctlp.jpg

20160125_200104_zpsfakx70ep.jpg

20160125_200002_001_zpsb2dfx1hu.jpg

20160125_200009_zpsjgpfaipt.jpg

As you can see the the intercooler end chamber had totally parted from the fins on bank 1! And it looks like bank 2 had been leaking for a while as there is an oily residue in one corner.

It seems that where the front bumper air shroud directs the air through the coolers, debris/leaves can sit in the bottom and stay damp causing a bit of corrosion and weakening the cooler end tanks.

I managed to get a pair of very low mileage used items from JM imports and fitted them, and all back together no problems. So no real drama.

Have enjoyed over 1000 miles since. :)

• Like 5

Well done that man! I pretty much didn't understand any of the technical problem solving that you did but always impressed by people that can tackle this kind of stuff!

Lovely looking car too! What I would do for one! You must be very chuffed!

• Like 1