Maserati Granturismo, Aston Vantage or ...... Decision P8

Sam Mcgoo

Which would you choose?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What wold you choose?

• Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8
    • Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3 V8
    • Something else - please suggest in post.

So you don't think a V8V will be any quicker than a 350 on the roads, you think the new Mustang looks dull, and you'd rather have a DB9 over the V8V?

Well, it's taken 2,598 posts, but finally I agree with every single word you say! :D :lol: :lol:

I was waiting on something bad there.... haha

Edited by AMT

I can put it on here if you like:

Ive had 4 mates own them now and all 4 regretted it pretty much after the first week, performance isnt all that, fuel economy is rubbish and running costs are painful.

One of the guys (Cayman before, R8 after) reckoned it was the worst car he has ever owned ....... obviously its your choice but I wanted to give you the heads up :)

Looks nice, sounds nice but not a lot after that from what Ive been told :(

I can accept the performance, I know it wont be close to the GTR, it would be bought for a change and more for the looks, noise and comfort.

Edited by grahamc

My Maserati dealer has got a proper Aston in. V12 DB9.......right slap bang in your budget too. £40k.

He said he's also got a red GTS in which you're welcome to test drive but is out of your budget

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not a V8 but you shouldn't open your wallet until you've tried an Evora S, it's chuffing sublime and looks like a supercar in the right colours (red or electric blue). You've simply got to try one. The other 6 cylinder sleeper try would be a 1M. Mental thing.

I've been in the lucky position to sample a lot of the V8s out there, either on promo days, track rental or through friends. At £35k it's very difficult because you're generally looking at a used car that retailed at £60k+ with running costs to match. If these cars were reliable and affordable everyone would have them....

E63S - 590lbft!! Too heavy and way too much tech getting in the way. Amazing engine but it's a Bahnstormer rather than a sports car and hilariously inept around Brookland's twisty bits. Fugly too.

M3 V8 - mate's car, very capable but looks way too dull to have a sense of occasion in a convoy full of exotica (likewise 987 & 997). Worth considering if you need 4 proper seats.

V8V - five mates with these (!) amazing exhaust note but they've all had frustrations with the electrics. Don't be distracted by main stealer low headline servicing rates, that really is the bare bones. None of them plan to keep their V8Vs which is pretty telling and some have moved on already.

Corvette Stingray - LHD only. Amazing engine but only really comes alive over a ton. Incredible brakes and great handling due to low weight. Too much tech getting in the way though.

Maser GT - never driven one but OMFG what a noise. Looks sexy but ultimately designed for the Ameri-gulf market and not as timeless as the Vantage. Apparently they're more reliable than given credit for.

XK 4.2 (father in law has one) - dull as ditchwater sloshy auto yawnfest for grey haired accountants.

GTR - marmite. Personally not keen but only spent the grand total of 20 minutes driving one around town so hardly a great intro. Never met an owner I'd like to have a pint with either.

Never driven an R8 - might be slightly out of budget anyway but maybe worth a gander or does the image just not appeal? Seems to be a modern classic and wouldn't surprise me if prices continue to tick up. The F type is sexy too! Need to drive one.

If I had to choose one from your shortlist it would be the V8V as it has the most powerful fanny magnet, women LOVE the car. My choice would probably be the Evora S, sadly out of budget last time around hence why I went for the MkI 370ZN instead.

DT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well.......................................................

2016-01-16%2017.06.43_zps3l3y3mix.jpg20160116_162910_zps2r72twd9.jpg

2016-01-16%2017.05.54_zpsletvuacf.jpg

I know its not the v8 I thought I'd be getting, but after driving one I knew I had to own one at some point.

My theory for doing it now over the others is;

A. Because its fu*&ing awesome to drive! What a machine! :teeth:

B. Getting a decent Maserati Granturismo 4.7 MC shift would have been a bit more of a stretch financially right now.

C. I'm still not 100% safe from redundancy at work and I reckon the GT-R will be much easier/ faster to sell should the worse happen and I need to get rid in a hurry.

Anyway I picked it up on Friday. Its only a Litchfield stage 1, but my god it goes well. I forgot how much I love the mid-range torque of a turbo, pulls like a train!

I will get the Granturismo MC as my next car if finances allow and I've still got a job :lol: but in the meantime I'm very happy with my purchase. :)

• Like 16

Shame no V8, but given your circumstances it's probably the wise decision. Congrats matey :)

Yeah, unfortunately head had to rule over heart this time, but its hardly a terrible sacrifice is it. :lol:

I still think the front is fugly though :lol: Although I must admit in the flesh and up close, they are much better than any picture could ever suggest. The drive makes up for it though, it really has exceeded my expectations.

• Like 1

I totally get your reasons for going GTR mate with the work situation but I can't help feel it's a bit like weighing up fillet steak or lobster for tea and settling on a tesco finest pizza.

Nowt wrong with the pizza but it's not quite a comparable to the other 2.

Then again steak and lobster are a pain in the arse to cook whereas a pizza just gets slat in the oven

I'm hungry

• Like 2

Got to be honest, bit disappointed you didn't go for the maser or Aston as I love both those cars.

Nevertheless I am sure you will have a great time with the GTR. Enjoy and hope job circumstances stabilise for you. :)

I totally get your reasons for going GTR mate with the work situation but I can't help feel it's a bit like weighing up fillet steak or lobster for tea and settling on a tesco finest pizza.

Nowt wrong with the pizza but it's not quite a comparable to the other 2.

Then again steak and lobster are a pain in the arse to cook whereas a pizza just gets slat in the oven

I'm hungry

:lol:

I totally agree with you both.

Sam, can I come pay you a visit when I get the skyline on the road? :)

Of course you can mate, anytime. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Just give me a shout.

That sounds kinky!!! :lol:

Do you fancy a threesome, I'll join you guys, ha ha!

I'm sure something can be arranged. ;)

:scare: