unsure about cars power

chrisday1990

I had a bmw 1 series coupe 125i up my arse up all the way to 100

, it was a road with no memebers of the public so no risk to others it was perfectly safe for others, has anyone else had a stanard car keep up with them and made them question their power?

Edited by chrisday1990

The thing that most people don't appreciate is that most cars with similar power and weight are almost identical in terms of speed. I had an Astra VXR and my brother had a Civic Type R (40hp less) but on the road they were nearly identical in a straight line. The extra power only gives it a slight edge, it's never going to be night and day unless the cars in question are very different in terms of power. The 350z is no drag racer but it's certainly not slow, the 2.5 straight six BMW engines make a healthy 220hp and make good use of it. 220hp vs 276hp in the Zed is never going to be night and day. I raced a Focus RS (mk2 300hp) in my VXR and while it was quicker it was barely pulling away. You need a lot more power / a lot less weight to really whoop someone.

Hope that's the answer you were looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What do you mean by a standard car? A 125i isnt a slow car, the newer ones are a turbocharged 2.0 and the older ones have a 3.0 straight six. Neither have the power of the zed but with a few mods one would keep up no problem :)

I'm pretty sure they are 2.5 straight six (the older ones) my friend had a 3 series 325i and that was a 2.5 straight six (220hp). Would make sense as its called the 325i, or 125i in this case. I know they do a 130i and a 135i. I think the latter is turbocharged too. Same applies for 3 and 5 series.

Were you redlining it? Shifting hard?

As people said, it's not gunna be night and day, but having driven a 125i... You should only have been a few thousand RPM into third at that point, he probably will have had to have shifted again - if nothing else that's where your advantage should be.

And the 125i is about 0.5 seconds slower to 60... Should be, anyway... Not a lot in it.

Now the 130i on the other hand... I wouldn't take one on unless I was feeling real peppy...

Edited by Rook

as said before, you need a large difference to really pull away from someone on the road - a standard zed really isnt that fast either, 276bhp and a whole load of weight only equates to a 0-60 time of 6 seconds flat... and a 125i will do it in 6.8 which isnt that far behind. in the real world they'll be pretty similar up to a tonne, even more so if the zed is only giving it 7/10ths and the beemer is giving it 9/10ths.

The thing that most people don't appreciate is that most cars with similar power and weight are almost identical in terms of speed. I had an Astra VXR and my brother had a Civic Type R (40hp less) but on the road they were nearly identical in a straight line. The extra power only gives it a slight edge, it's never going to be night and day unless the cars in question are very different in terms of power. The 350z is no drag racer but it's certainly not slow, the 2.5 straight six BMW engines make a healthy 220hp and make good use of it. 220hp vs 276hp in the Zed is never going to be night and day. I raced a Focus RS (mk2 300hp) in my VXR and while it was quicker it was barely pulling away. You need a lot more power / a lot less weight to really whoop someone.

Hope that's the answer you were looking for.

This ^

I was surprised to see a skoda fabia keep up with me not too long ago, granted it was only up to about 50mph. On the other hand I've recently had a run in with a focus RS, evo 6 and a type uk impreza sti and there was nothing in it up to 100 mph. Infact the Z started pulling on the scooby after 4th gear.

Some people hate these threads, I find them quite interesting actually.

99% of road cars are equal until you get to ridiculous speeds. On an average road, I reckon most people could keep up with anything in anything. It's all a matter of risk/testicle size. I have very little problem hustling my truck on the country lanes home from work at the same pace I take them in the BMW or the MR2.

• Like 4

Sad but true, mostly a test of how little you care for you personal safety and driving license. I don't feel the 370 is fast until 130+ but maybe because others back off? Have a few mates with serious mahinery, on the twisties the exige s murders me and on the straights the GT3 zooms off...

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

Yeah, the z isn't really a car you drive for anything other than the sheer enjoyment of driving it.

It doesn't win on efficiency, practicality, acceleration, top speed, or the speed you can carry through corners. What most people who drive them seem to agree on is they're just great 'purist' drives.

No nannying electronics, big silly wings and plastic tubs, or hybrid this that or the other, just a big wad of power, mechanical grip, a comfortable, GT weight, and reliability from here to Timbuktu.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure they are 2.5 straight six (the older ones) my friend had a 3 series 325i and that was a 2.5 straight six (220hp). Would make sense as its called the 325i, or 125i in this case. I know they do a 130i and a 135i. I think the latter is turbocharged too. Same applies for 3 and 5 series.

Are you sure? I think the older 125's are a 3.0. The "25" bit isnt really relevant. An e46 318 has a 2.0 litre engine for example.
  • Like 1

Are you sure? I think the older 125's are a 3.0. The "25" bit isnt really relevant. An e46 318 has a 2.0 litre engine for example.

3 litre straight 6 with about 220 bhp to my knowledge.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

When I had my GT4 celica, I had it mapped on a motec up to 330hp with 350 ftlbs of torque, and stripped it out. On a weigh bridge it made 1370k with quarter of a tank. It was hard work getting away from my mate in his UK Imprezza sti even though I was lighter and I had about 60 hp more than he did. Rather annoying.

Well I bought a Z because of the way it felt to drive not its outright pace.My M3 was quicker on paper but didn't feel it and to be fair I would rather have a car that handles well on the road and makes it fun on a track. As for the civic type r I loved mine but I learned my lesson on the road many years ago when I received a months ban for 94 in a 60!

As previous posters have said it's all relative and paper stats on our roads mean bugger all. I also own a base spec Merc Citan van (kangoo) and that will also hustle along quite nicely with only 110bhp lol.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Its so nice to read honest posts about a car from owners with out rose tinted glasses .

So many times I have read everything from the engine must have a problem , driver skills ever other car must have been mapped anything but that fact that the car was just not as fast as people wanted / thought it was .

Alan

also remember the 350z is a car designed in 2001-2002

im going to guess the 125i was a newish one with a revised engine etc and the design of it is only around 5-7 years old

bare in mind a hot hatch in 2002 had around 200bhp

a hot hatch in 2008 has around 270-280bhp

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

It's about power to weight ratio. The zed in standard guise is Around 185bhp per tonne. The bmw is around 158bhp per tonne. Less than 30 in it despite the zed having over 50bhp more.

Also the zed is an old car compared to a modern 1 series.

I've been smoked by v8 tdi Audi pulling onto the motorway. The zed is a fast and capable car, but it's not a veyron.