unsure about cars power

chrisday1990

Don't worry about it too much mate. Zed looks much nicer and sounds a lot better.

If you want to start pulling away from all these new BMW's and Audi's then slap a SC on it!!

To many newer cars smoke a stock Zed these days.

....I guess this is what brought drag racing to 'our' streets...its all very well having a quick car in theory and believing in that..but until you are up against a competitor, you wont really know - worryingly there are many references to the Z not being as quick as folk feel they should be...particularly as a potential buyer, I was drawn in by the 300+bhp figure.

First thing I noticed was the 0-60 fig being not as quick as you would expect, carrying early Porsche Turbo levels of fire power - Only answers I can see are the weight and possibly tallish GT gearing holding it back - particularly the weight - In reality less than 175 bhp / ft lb per imperial (UK) ton (earlier 350) !!...By comparison a Tuscan is over 360 hp / ton - ie a quickly designed back street UK 4 litre six cylinder in a car of similar size and technology has over twice the power to weight ratio! - Which is why it is 4 secs to 60 not six....Weight is the killer, you only have to take a look at this to be convinced that it is all about power to weight:

Edited by GriffGTV

My Daily is a Golf R, runs rings around the Z all day, top end, acceleration, economy and handling, no contest the Golf wins them all.

Smiles per miles, well that's got to go to the Zed :)

Interesting..Why? - I fancy both the Z & R, for different reasons, however performance being the common element - Just what exactly would pull you out the R and into the Z? - Other than looks & sound..talking purely as a performance car for the road - what other choices are there with better power / weigh / £ than the Z as practical everyday car?

My Daily is a Golf R, runs rings around the Z all day, top end, acceleration, economy and handling, no contest the Golf wins them all.

Interesting..Why? - I fancy both the Z & R, for different reasons, however performance being the common element - Just what exactly would pull you out the R and into the Z? - Other than looks & sound..talking purely as a performance car for the road - what other choices are there with better power / weigh / £ than the Z as practical everyday car?

Why smiles per miles for the Zed?

Wel, some comparing apples and oranges... (power figures are the only thing these two have in common)

The R on paper is freaking awesome, it's fast as **** off the line, rolls round to the end of the clock very quickly and it has insane amounts of grip whilst still getting ~37mpg. And it is an awesome piece of kit. Just I find it a bit staid. The abundance of grip and power means driving fast on a B road isn't an art, just a case of point and squirt. I know i can throw it into a corner at stupid speed and it will grip and pull through with utterly no drama. For most that would be fantastic, and it was for me, for a few months. But the Zed is something else, it's a bit more involved and the feedback from pushing on along nice roads feels nicer plus the knowledge that if i get it wrong, there's no supercomputers and trick haldex setup to save me, a bad driver in an R is going to be able to go quick, a bad driver in a Z is going through a hedge :teeth:

So yeah, if i want to go flat out fast i'd jump in the Golf, but if i want enjoyment and feedback, it's the Z all the way.

Edited by SithOllie

Why smiles per miles for the Zed?

Wel, some comparing apples and oranges... (power figures are the only thing these two have in common)

The R on paper is freaking awesome, it's fast as **** off the line, rolls round to the end of the clock very quickly and it has insane amounts of grip whilst still getting ~37mpg. And it is an awesome piece of kit. Just I find it a bit staid. The abundance of grip and power means driving fast on a B road isn't an art, just a case of point and squirt. I know i can throw it into a corner at stupid speed and it will grip and pull through with utterly no drama. For most that would be fantastic, and it was for me, for a few months. But the Zed is something else, it's a bit more involved and the feedback from pushing on along nice roads feels nicer plus the knowledge that if i get it wrong, there's no supercomputers and trick haldex setup to save me, a bad driver in an R is going to be able to go quick, a bad driver in a Z is going through a hedge :teeth:

So yeah, if i want to go flat out fast i'd jump in the Golf, but if i want enjoyment and feedback, it's the Z all the way.

so its like a GTR then makes bad drivers fast :p

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 3

KABOOM, thats the nail on the head. Cars that are initially designed as 2 seaters are invariably a better drive than a hatch or saloon thats been made fast.

• Like 1

..yes I appreciate that is a Cerbera in the vid....that is well over 400bhp/ton...

Id add that Ive found Cerberas to be mobile chicanes on trackdays, power to weight isnt everything ;)

And IMO 0-60 isnt a realistic figure for comparison, its a lot more about grip and getting the launch right than anything else. A 1/4 mile is a much better indicator of how fast a car accelerates, and in this case the Cerbera is a 12.4 vs 13.8 for a DE Zed, thats a big gap.

..yes I appreciate that is a Cerbera in the vid....that is well over 400bhp/ton...

Id add that Ive found Cerberas to be mobile chicanes on trackdays, power to weight isnt everything ;)

And IMO 0-60 isnt a realistic figure for comparison, its a lot more about grip and getting the launch right than anything else. A 1/4 mile is a much better indicator of how fast a car accelerates, and in this case the Cerbera is a 12.4 vs 13.8 for a DE Zed, thats a big gap.

kinda of going with what you said, every Zed i have personally watched at pod has ran in the 14s even 14.8 14.9 for some,im aware some guys like Craig have hit 13.7

Think you need lots of torque to leave car behind pretty quickly! correct me if Im wrong..Zed not in that torque league to leave cars behind,but its great on the bends..

Its actually pretty good on torque, lots available nice and low but the weight offsets it a bit - a 2.9 Cayman does the quarter in about the same time but is 55 lb/ft down, and S2K is about 50% down :scare:

• Like 1

..I guess thats why Nissan has the Skyline series, shame thats too far - the Z with 300 lb ft / ton would be a great sweetspot -dont think theres enough space for the helium balloons, not with that Z brace in the cargo bay, an all... :)

seriously though, wouldnt want forced induction, nitrous not practical, not easy to tune, which only leaves sprint gearing for first 4 or 5 gears or / and losing 1/2 ton of excess weight (maybe thats why in Z land, all the drifters weigh half what we Brits do.. )

interesting to look at the torque figures but that's certainly not the be all and end all of it... diesels make plenty of torque but rather lacking on power... something like an S2000 also lacks torque but has plenty of revs to keep the power up, and its obviously light...

anyways, most fairly decent modern stuff is pretty equal to about a ton, as power to weight ratios aren't that different, powerful cars tend to be heavier as well. unless you can find a rare exotic breed of car that's both very powerful and very light, they'll all be fairly similar.

however above a ton, wind resistance starts making a big impact, and at that speeds you need absolute power to push through it.

http://strikeengine.com/performance-car-specs-0-60-0-100-power-weight-top-speed.html

Always makes me chuckle when people are suddenly surprised that shock horror...their car is not the fastest thing on the road,

Just enjoy the drive, if you think about it that's why you bought this car...isn't it?

If you want the fastest thing on the road, then you either need to prepared to invest a LOT of money in your middle of the road sports coupe (sorry guys) or just buy a supercar. :lol:

Edited by Tricky-Ricky