unsure about cars power

chrisday1990

i'd say easiest and cheapest way to go really fast in a roadcar is a Subaru Impreza with beefy clutch, intake, intercooler, exhaust and a boost increase to around 400bhp, in a car that weighs 1200kgs. Theres 330bhp per tonne, then put on some decent tyres and use the 4wd - 5000rpm, sidestep the clutch and away you go!

interesting to look at the torque figures but that's certainly not the be all and end all of it... diesels make plenty of torque but rather lacking on power... something like an S2000 also lacks torque but has plenty of revs to keep the power up, and its obviously light...

anyways, most fairly decent modern stuff is pretty equal to about a ton, as power to weight ratios aren't that different, powerful cars tend to be heavier as well. unless you can find a rare exotic breed of car that's both very powerful and very light, they'll all be fairly similar.

however above a ton, wind resistance starts making a big impact, and at that speeds you need absolute power to push through it.

http://strikeengine....-top-speed.html

Great reference material there, duly stored :)

i'd say easiest and cheapest way to go really fast in a roadcar is a Subaru Impreza with beefy clutch, intake, intercooler, exhaust and a boost increase to around 400bhp, in a car that weighs 1200kgs. Theres 330bhp per tonne, then put on some decent tyres and use the 4wd - 5000rpm, sidestep the clutch and away you go!

Again, good reference :) - I had an 03 Sti PPP + drove a 333 bhp JDM - they are sensationally rapid up to around 70 thx to power to weight and v sot sprint gearing + wham bam boost curve slamming you back in the seat adding greatly to fairground ride thrill factor - 400bhp would be insane with my reaction times now - last time I drove a 310 sti I was gob smacked with fist three gears on a back lane...

Any experience with the hatch model after he Hawk? - Told max safe tune was 330 on that engine, but would now suit me well I suspect

Unless you plan to track the car I wouldn't worry about the raw power.

I had a Zed as it ticked more important boxes- It looks great, sounds great and handles well and you get a lot of car for the money.

How many times do you actually take it to the limit to really find out how competent you/the car is? Only on track would you really find out.

Anything faster than the Zed I would say gets into unusable territory on the roads, unless you chancing it and risking a ban.

• Like 1

thing is the peak Horse power number is irrelevant,

If it makes 300hp for 1 second then the rest its around 240hp afterwards

it will be slower than a engine

that makes 280hp for 1 second and then runs around 260hp afterwards

...no denying the Z looks macho (see Deejays tag) - maybe someone should fit an AJP 4.2 flatplane? - Seriously - from memory its a 21" cube and quite prob weighs v little more, if at all - it will comfortably lift the Z to the magic 300/300/ton - is well in character and will sound right for the Z - A normal V8 would sound too 'heavy' but the AJP would sound suitably frenetic with its carbon airboxes & pulse frequency - Any modders fancy it? - The engine & box would be available from one of the TVR racing outfits, suitably fettled.....hmmm.....just add LSD and 4.08 and we would have our own little supercar...for peanuts, relatively speaking - cheaper than a 370 & quicker than most folk could possibly want :)

200bhp/ton is enough for the road, IMHO. Much more and you can't use it all, much less and you start questioning overtakes.

I would agree, i think a std zed has more than enough power for a spirited road drive and overtakes, but guessing a lot of people just look at straight line acceleration as per the original post. Still would like the extra 100 per ton though, nicer to have more under your right foot if needed :)

Whilst i was into bikes i mainly had sports bikes, but i did own a Ducati Monster 900 for a year, on normal roads your mates would leave you for dead, but when it came to b roads, there was nothing in it as they just couldnt use the power.

• Like 1

By a bike ;)

A lot of folk say to me, wow, I bet your car is quick, well, it aint, its lovely to drive, looks good and sounds great, but the fact is, compared to a modern bike it is @*!# slow, as are the vast majority of cars out there

Anyway, it's not about if you can pull away from xyz in a straight line, its toasting them on the twisty bits

Rob

compared to a modern bike it is @*!# slow, as are the vast majority of cars out ther

The face of a supercar driver as you pulled away on the back wheel from 50, 60, 70+ is a sight to behold :)

not always :p

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

I don't understand people who compare bikes and cars .... Just so different .

You can have fun with both :)

Although I still ride on the road, albeit at sedate pace now, most my riding is on track, that is where you should be testing man (or woman) and machine

Rob

• Like 1

compared to a modern bike it is @*!# slow, as are the vast majority of cars out ther

The face of a supercar driver as you pulled away on the back wheel from 50, 60, 70+ is a sight to behold :)

I did say vast majority ;)

Rob

• Like 1

That bike does incredibly well to get anywhere near from a standing start imho ;)