Advice - family illness

marzman

Sorry for the morbid topic, but i could use some advice please.

My Dad has just emailed me and he's in hospital having just had 'a severe heart attack', and the doctors have told him they're going to do a triple by-pass in the next few days.

...this may be a stupid question, but how serious is this?

The reason I ask is that my Dad lives alone, in upstate New York (USA), and i'm trying to figure out if i need to be with him.

He's only 61 and leads a normal, working life. He eats, smokes, and drinks too much which is no doubt what will have caused this, but what im trying to say is that he's perfectly able-bodied.

I've emailed him back to tell him i can be over there in a couple of days if he needs me, but no doubt he's going to say he's fine and not to bother... but he cant come out of hospital and go home alone can he?! Google says it's normally a week in hospital and then recovery at home, and that people can go back to work after 6 weeks - much like any other routine surgery.

Does anyone have any experience of bypass recovery or care?

Lastly, i'm not after a sympathy post here - just want some genuine constructive advice please. :)

Edited by marzman

Sorry to hear that mate. My boss had a heart attack last year and was off for over 2 months. All he had was a stint which I think is much less than a triple heart bypass.

I'm sure he'll be alright as long as he now starts to look after himself. Ranolph Fienes ran 7 marathons on 7 continents after a triple heart bypass, so he should be able to make a very good recovery.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this mate....

My father in law is 71 and had a quadruple heart bypass two years back, in hospital for a week and then off his feet for about two months afterwards - certainly needed help at home from his wife if thats what you needed to hear.

If its any consolation, he said he had a new lease of life afterwards, started going to the gym, struck up friendships with other people going through a similar thing and meets with them regularly as friends, said his body hadnt felt that good in years once he recovered from the surgery.

• Like 1

Ranolph Fienes ran 7 marathons on 7 continents after a triple heart bypass, so he should be able to make a very good recovery.

Cool, i'll mention that to me dad!

Sorry to hear this mate....

My father in law is 71 and had a quadruple heart bypass two years back, in hospital for a week and then off his feet for about two months afterwards - certainly needed help at home from his wife if thats what you needed to hear.

Off his feet for 2 months. :scare: That's not good! i can't afford to spend too much time off work over there... 2-3 weeks tops. Hmmm.

My dad had a triple bypass at 61, had given up smoking in his 50s, this was in 1987. Back then it was a major procedure, he was off his feet for a few months but had a year off work.

He went back to work until he retired at 65, lived life to the full until his mid 70's, unfortunately, dementia and a stroke took him down but not until just after his 81st birthday and, although he was in long term NHS care, he survived a good 20 years after his surgery.

If it was me, I would go and and visit regardless of his wishes, it will still be an enormous boost for him and help in his recovery.

My sister, who was the Sister on the cardio-thoracic ward where his surgery took place, advised the family at the time, that there is a large amount of depression felt by patients after this type of surgery and the importance of family that continue to be close is a fantastic help in aftercare.

My advice, go and see him, for as long as you can, it will help.

As with any surgery, there is a risk, the surgeon will tell you this even though it may be deemed relatively routine these days.

I would not hesitate. Good luck to you and your dad, best wishes.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this Chris :(

I know someone who had one and I think it was 6-7 weeks before they started to get back to normal, but its a slow process in the beginning and also how your Dad is affected by the surgery itself. Everyone is different.

I agree with George, go see your dad for as long as you can, at least if you are there for when he has the op or when he is due to come out of hospital you can help him when he may need you most. Also since he is in the US I believe the healthcare system is there to provide after care as well. Might depend on his cover though, also worth checking out.

I wish him well and a speedy recovery :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sorry to read this marzman.

It's a heart attack and now he has to have an operation ~ my advice would be to go to see him & stay as long as you are able. I'm sure he'd appreciate it and as G man said it will be beneficial to his recovery after the Op.

Best wishes and good luck to your old man. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Everyone says "I'll be ok, no need to worry" these days. What people usually mean is "I'd like it very much if there was someone around but don't want to be an inconvenience"

Get your yourself over there for as long as you can. It'll be good for both of you :)

• Like 1

I've worked/trained on a Cardio-Thoracic team in my younger days, assisted in a few dozen bypass operations and have done a fair bit of training in Cardiology.

Bypass operations are pretty straight fowards these days, 4hr for a straight foward operation, and if all goes well recovery is quick. But it's still a major operation that involves stopping the heart, intricate surgery on very small blood vessels, and from time to time things do go wrong (Though thankfully rarely).

Having suffered a heart attack before the operation makes it more risky, but if the Cardiologst feel that a bypass is urgently needed than they must feel the risk of doing nothing is more than the risk of a urgent operation.

So I would try to make the effort to go and see your dad. The recovery phase is just as important as the actual operation, and having a familiar face around can only help...

Good luck with your dads OP, and am sure things will be Ok :)

• Like 1

+ many on what everyone has said - go and see him

my father had a heart attack at 40 and bypass shortly after . ..... he's now 78 and still going strong

but also suffered depression and a bit aof a break down afterwards - so that definately needs watching out for

Hey Chris, I will mirror gangzoom's comment and considering I actually did this for 3.5years I can answer anymore questions you may have.

An urgent bypass means he has extensive heart disease that cannot be remedied with angioplasty +/- stents( basically stretching open the block/narrow arteries and maintaining them open with scaffolding👀).

The other implication is that you have a strong family history of heart disease so you need to inform your go so you can have the usual cholesterol etc screens earlier than is customary so that any treatable risk factor can be addressed. If this is done you should have no issues yourself. I think I tecollect you are a non -smoker which is a plus.

WRT your dad he will be fine as otherwise he would not be offered surgery. Usually patients are discharged home within a week or 2 if there are no complications. Serious complications are uncommon. Longterm prognosis is difficult with no knowledge of his medical history current the state of his hearts function.

Pm'ed.

Edited by GT4 Zed
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear this Chris. I know quiet a few people who have had a bypass opp

and all have been successful, I went to see one last week who is in The Royal Free

he should be home next week, as said above about 2 weeks stay in hospital.

Best Wishes to your Dad for a speedy recovery.

Thanks everyone. Busy day today as i've had a number of errands to run.

I managed to call the hospital and speak to him this morning.

They did some tests and one artery is 100% blocked, and two others are not quite as bad but still need attention, hence the triple bypass. They're planning on doing the surgery at the middle of next week.

He did the expected 'oh you dont need to come', but I told him I was definitely coming and he was quite thankful i think. So the plan is to go maybe next weekend to be there for when he gets out. I can only really go for a couple of weeks due to work, so he agreed that my time would be better spent with him when he's ready to go home. ...fingers crossed i dont regret that decision and the surgery goes ok!

Thanks again everyone.

Bennett - thanks for your message. I'll be in touch.

...and yeah it's a bit of a wakeup call for me. 31 years old and 20 stone... i need to get my act together.

• Like 3

Even though I lost my dad to a massive stroke a few years ago he had a Triple by-pass in his 60's and was back at home decorating 2 weeks later and back to work after a couple of months.My rule of thumb now is always be with them as you never know how long they'll be around or what will happen during the operation also the moral support of you being there could be just what he needs my dad smoked all his life right up until the day he died which was in his 70's. YOU CAN REPLACE YOUR JOB BUT YOU CAN'T REPLACE YOUR FAMILY. Good luck and best wishes.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your father.

I'm glad to hear you're able to go see him even though it's only for a few weeks.

6 years ago I got a call saying my dad had bowel cancer which had spread from his bowels into the surrounding lymph nodes.

He was living in Malaysia at the time.

I booked the flight ASAP.

The week waiting for my flight I was an emotional wreck.

Tried staying strong when on the phone to dad and family but got so upset one night I rang the Macmillan cancer support group just to talk.

Only lasted 10 seconds on the phone before I broke down in tears balling like a kid.

Thankfully dad recovered.

Don't forget to take care of YOURSELF TOO Chris.

Don't try and carry the weight of the world on your shoulders yourself and talk to your friends and family when you need to.

Wishing you all the best.

Andy

• Like 1