Diesel... Why is it more expensive than Petrol?

Paddy78

I was looking out of my office window today at the petrol station opposite. I was remembering a time when petrol was below £1 a litre and when diesel was much cheaper than petrol. Am I missing something obvious as I can't for the life of me think of why diesel is more expensive than petrol?

Having a quick look online and it would appear that the duty and wholesale price are identical. The only real difference is that diesel costs more to refine, but any impact on price would surely be reflected in a difference in the wholesale price?

Is it just a con because we buy more diesel now and so the garages can charge more? :shrug:

It's because years ago diesel was cheaper, so people started buying diesel cars. Over time lots of people had bought diesels to save money. The government realised this, so they started increasing the price of diesel, so they can make more money from it.

• Like 1

It's because years ago diesel was cheaper, so people started buying diesel cars. Over time lots of people had bought diesels to save money. The government realised this, so they started increasing the price of diesel, so they can make more money from it.

cynical much?

But probably very close to the truth :lol:

I did read some BS about it being R and D costs of developing more engine and ECO friendly diesel that had caused prices to rise :shrug:

• Like 1

It started when companies realised that they would pay less tax and fuel costs for diesel cars, I swapped as soon as I could becuase it was more tax efficient for me. As Steve said the diesel car market exploded so the oil companies put the prices up. :surrender:

cynical much?

But probably very close to the truth :lol:

I did read some BS about it being R and D costs of developing more engine and ECO friendly diesel that had caused prices to rise :shrug:

Cynical? Never :lol:

As long as super unleaded keeps dropping in price, I'm happy.

• Like 1

I thought it was more expensive because there's more oil in it per litre and with oil being quite expensive recently compared to other ingredients in petrol such as ethanol, it pushed the cost up.

it's pure economics ... the more people that want something, the higher the price goes ... you'll never sell something that nobody wants, whatever the price you sell it for

Shame that doesn't work for Super Unleaded... but I guess the same thing applies to premium products too.

Mate this is uncanny!

I was literally sat mooning at a petrol station today contemplating that exact thing.

Mooning Paul?. . . . .

tumblr_mlqni7MCkM1qmnswpo1_500.gif

I bet the folk in the petrol station thought you were right off your trolley :lol:

• Like 3

I was also of the belief that diesel was refined less than petrol (hence why it is still like an oil) and therefore presumably cheaper to produce. As well as the demand thing I expect that they think that they can get away with charging more for it because you get better mpg with it. Just another way to rip us off and make us pay through the nose as usual.

Wonder why there`s been no mention of energy prices coming down yet as a result of the low oil prices ? They`re quite eager to put them up by ridiculous% the minute after it`s envisaged that oil prices might go up slightly at some time in the future and then quick to blame it on that .. !!

Mate this is uncanny!

I was literally sat mooning at a petrol station today contemplating that exact thing.

Mooning Paul?. . . . .

tumblr_mlqni7MCkM1qmnswpo1_500.gif

I bet the folk in the petrol station thought you were right off your trolley :lol:

Exactly what I thought ... Mooning :lol:

• Like 1

I was also of the belief that diesel was refined less than petrol (hence why it is still like an oil) and therefore presumably cheaper to produce. As well as the demand thing I expect that they think that they can get away with charging more for it because you get better mpg with it. Just another way to rip us off and make us pay through the nose as usual.

Wonder why there`s been no mention of energy prices coming down yet as a result of the low oil prices ? They`re quite eager to put them up by ridiculous% the minute after it`s envisaged that oil prices might go up slightly at some time in the future and then quick to blame it on that .. !!

I remember reading an article on it the other day, apparently the energy companies have said that they will drop the prices, but they've bought so much fuel in advance at the higher price that they have to use it first before buying more and passing on the savings :lol:

Probably OPEC trying to undercut the US fracking outfits is leading to the price cuts.With regards to diesel the people I've felt sorry for is the hauliers with regards cost. Any price savings for those guys is a good thing when a tank can cost 500 plus quid.