What's all this starting a sentence with "so" ?

ATTAK Z

So why am I hearing more and more people beginning a sentence with the word "so" ? It's becoming prevalent on the news programmes when so called experts are being asked their opinion.

It's almost as irritating as the upward inflexion at the end of a sentence that's a statement , not a question ...

I have noticed it on a tv series (american) i watch, whenever someone enters the room, they say, so.... blah blah blah

Its annoying me too, i have an inkling its coming from america, a buddy of mine over there a couple of years ago, after 9 months he came back and every time we asked a question he started with, so....

Something that annoys me a lot is the BBC's insistence on mispronouncing words such as "DEcade" 10 years as "deCADE" as in rotted away. :rant:And then there's the incorrect use of the reflexive pronoun "myself" to mean "I" or "me" to "yourself" to mean "you".

"would yourself care to take a look at the menu?" :banned:

"Keith and myself thought it was a good idea" :banned:

"I done it" instead of "I did it" :banned:

"You've done it perfect" Instead of "perfectly" :banned:

"You was" instead of "you were" :banned:

"Could/would/should of" instead of the contraction" Should've"

Misuse of past participles, past simple, adverbs, auxiliary verbs, it goes on and on...

:banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:

Edited by Rock_Steady

Modern speech is degrading very quickly, don't get me started

It doesn't help that the usage of double negatives seems compulsory on TV Soaps...phrases like "I don't know nothing". Then there's the inability of many to distinguish the difference between loan and borrow.

Pete

• Like 2

:lol: Exactly!!! This is good hard evidence of my case. Even if they are slack jawed troglodytes off Jeremy Kyle, they could just as easily use:

The nitty gritty is..

The bottom line is..

What it all boils down to

The reality is..

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

So I nicked this from (off of lol) YouTube

The educated classes have been using the word 'so' superfluously at the beginning of statements since the 90s, especially when answering direct questions. Linguists have traced it back to Microsoft employees. For me it is the most annoying linguistic habit to arise since the tendency (in the English speaking world) to finish non-interrogative sentences with the questioning inflexion.

This adoption of 'so' as a syllable to announce the beginning of a statement is often by the sort of people who would sneer at the use of 'like' to vocalise the comma or replace 'erm', which they see as a sign of a sub standard education, blissfully unaware as they are of their own ridiculous speech habits.

The effect of the erroneous use of 'so' is that I stop listening to the speaker immediately, as my own internal monologue takes over with thoughts like "This person is an idiot". 

And that's it in a nutshell

• Like 1

I also find the current Bank add "Life skills" on TV very worrying, makes me wonder just what they are being taught at school, the fact that they have to point out the difference between applying for a job and writing on faceache is particularly disturbing.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky