World Cup chat

LRF4N

European team has never won in South America, and I can't see that changing. Brazil or Argentina for me.

We will struggle to get out of the group stages as usual. :wacko:

Can't see history failing to repeat so Argentina or Brazil for the win. England to get through the group stage, just, but won't get any further than that.

Pete

Why not get further? If they get out the group they have to play one of Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast or Japan - actually I would say any of those teams is likely to be easier than either Italy or Uruguay?

• Like 1

Good shout coldel, I think hensh is being a bit pessimistic as well - say what you want about our players but they all get first team starts for Premiership teams, sure, we dont have Argentina or Spains line up but it compares pretty well with most of the others.

I think the problem has always been a lack of motivation, if we can crack that then we can go as far as we want .......... until we meet Germany and lose on pens, obviously :lol:

European team has never won in South America, and I can't see that changing. Brazil or Argentina for me.

We will struggle to get out of the group stages as usual. :wacko:

Can't see history failing to repeat so Argentina or Brazil for the win. England to get through the group stage, just, but won't get any further than that.

Pete

Why not get further? If they get out the group they have to play one of Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast or Japan - actually I would say any of those teams is likely to be easier than either Italy or Uruguay?

Just a hunch, during the group stages they'll suffer with the conditions, will be completely exhausted by the knockout rounds and all of our potential rivals are better suited to playing in hot conditions, especially Columbia and The Ivory Coast. Same goes for the other Northern European teams, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium.....

Pete

Good shout coldel, I think hensh is being a bit pessimistic as well - say what you want about our players but they all get first team starts for Premiership teams, sure, we dont have Argentina or Spains line up but it compares pretty well with most of the others.

I think the problem has always been a lack of motivation, if we can crack that then we can go as far as we want .......... until we meet Germany and lose on pens, obviously :lol:

I wasn't bashing England but lets face it, by your own standards this is a very poor standard. Becuase they get a start in the EPL doesn't make them good. Smalling plays for Man Utd and getting a start and he is absolutely god awful. Without Terry at the back and a youthful Stevie G/lampard then its pretty much an average team.

As I said I don't think its a big ask to get out the group and your following 4 aren't terrible but by no means easy. Greece have been a really strong side with little to no real big players. I honestly think you all will enjoy it so much more because if you get out of the group then everything else is a bonus.

I would love Scotland to be in a group they aren't good enough to get out of :lol: Only thing is that group tends to be the one to get into the world cup!

A year or so ago everyone was hailing Wilshire as the saviour of England, its credit to a lot of the other younger players that at 21 he is in my opinion down the pecking order. I would play Henderson instead of Wilshire every time I think he has come on leaps and bounds.

I am pretty sure Italy and Uruguay would give up half their country to have Barkley, Sterling and Chamberlain in their squad - these are very good young players.

I think the real shame was Townsend missing out, every time he pulled on an England shirt he played incredibly well, scoring, and just breaking past opposition midfield with ease.

I wasn't bashing England but lets face it, by your own standards this is a very poor standard. Becuase they get a start in the EPL doesn't make them good

Not automatically but 15% of all players at the World Cup play in the Premiership, I think if you compare our team to Greece or even Belgium, for instane then its not that bad at all. As Ekona says, quality is never really the issue, its actually playing like you want to win a game.

I wasn't bashing England but lets face it, by your own standards this is a very poor standard. Becuase they get a start in the EPL doesn't make them good

Not automatically but 15% of all players at the World Cup play in the Premiership, I think if you compare our team to Greece or even Belgium, for instane then its not that bad at all. As Ekona says, quality is never really the issue, its actually playing like you want to win a game.

This is the argument I have with my english counterpart across the desk :lol: as far as entertainment goes EPL is the best league in the world. but quality wise it isn't which has been shown with poor champions league runs over the last few years with the exception of Chelsea winning it but they went out the following year at the group stage. Englands other problem is that they have a quality league but that makes it even more impossible for their young English talent to break into the team. With teams like Newcastle not fielding one English player.

I do think England have a good side, but compared to 4 years ago, they are not as good and 8 years ago they aren't even in the same league. Belgium have a poor league but they have a cracking team with half of them doing their business in the EPL. I heard England are 10th favs for the world cup. My point was England at this point have a team at different ends of the spectrum. Half of the quality is seeing out their international football and the other half are very young and have a lot to learn. Does England have Quality in their team? yes. Do they have enough quality to compete with the top 3 or 4 teams? not really.

I think we'll limp through the group and then get roundly beaten by the first decent team we come across. I'm going for Colombia as dark horses, I like their footballing style and commitment.

As for England's problems, IMHO a lack of technical ability and movement off the ball are the major issues. We're still struggling from the ideas a few years ago that footballers should be over 6 foot tall and fast, worry about technique later. Fortunately, the new breed of players coming through look to be more proficient with their feet and it bodes well for the Euros and the next WC. I think we look much better when Stevie G and Flabby Frank aren't on the pitch. A centre forward who just poaches and takes one chance in three would be a huge gelp, I just don't know who that's going to be.

Shearer was our last complete forward and Owen our last poacher. Since then it's been a dirge upfront, with Wayne too busy covering right back to spend all his time up top. I think it's a crime Defoe didn't get called up, he's the most natural finisher in the squad and I don't think a few months in North America will have diminished that. He's better than Wellbeck who seems to model his style of movement on a giraffe dropped out the bottom of a B52.

This is the argument I have with my english counterpart across the desk :lol: as far as entertainment goes EPL is the best league in the world. but quality wise it isn't

Despite having 15% of all players in the World Cup playing in it? Id say that a pretty fair indicator TBH.

I'm also an honorary french supporter after the work sweep.

I agree with coldel about the opposition after the groups being arguably easier than the group itself. That all stops at the quarters where the opposition is likely to be brasil or Spain.

You never know though, bring it on!

So, it has begun. And I can't say I was overly impressed with Brazil. Having said that, Croatia still couldn't win even though Brazil gave them a goal which they celebrated as if they had scored it. Mind you, it was the first game. Plenty of time to improve.

Don't think Brazil are capable of winning the cup after watching last night. Yes they done well to come back after that **** up but they look too suspect at the back and could struggle against more capable sides

They just don't look a patch on Brazil teams in the past. A couple of good finishes but they don't have the physique or composure in the middle

They did win the confederations cup so maybe they'll come good but I don't think we watched the winners last night

Four years ago I was in Spain for the final. A bar owner decided to put on a free BBQ and extend happy hour until the first goal. It was a very good night.

Footbal wise I was appalled at the way Holland approached the game,, they should have had a fair few sent off. Spain arent as strong this time but I am sure they will have too much for the Dutch.