World Cup chat

LRF4N

So bring in Barkley for Rooney in 'his position' - what left midfield? Rooney has been played out in a position he nearly quite Utd for being played there. He just isn't that type of player, the problem is that Rooney is still quality but Sterling just has the impetus at the moment with them both vying for the role behind the main striker.

Didn't think any of the subs made an impact either.

I think Barkley is quality, but Roy made the very valid point that for every good pass he makes a bad one, you can't have a pass completion of 50% to play midfield in international football.

Rooneys position is behind the striker which is where I think Barkley should play then bench Rooney. Then stick Welbeck or Lallana on the left wing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So bring in Barkley for Rooney in 'his position' - what left midfield? Rooney has been played out in a position he nearly quite Utd for being played there. He just isn't that type of player, the problem is that Rooney is still quality but Sterling just has the impetus at the moment with them both vying for the role behind the main striker.

I think Barkley is quality, but Roy made the very valid point that for every good pass he makes a bad one, you can't have a pass completion of 50% to play midfield in international football.

Rooneys position is behind the striker which is where I think Barkley should play then bench Rooney. Then stick Welbeck or Lallana on the left wing.

And drop Sterling who looks like the one player that can make things happen? Almost certainly the man of the match on Saturday too

Everyone has their opinion, I personally think we should stick with the same 11 on Thursday, maybe like I said earlier drop Baines for Shaw as with Rooney on the left there is no protection

Sent from the golf club...

And drop Sterling who looks like the one player that can make things happen? Almost certainly the man of the match on Saturday too

Everyone has their opinion, I personally think we should stick with the same 11 on Thursday, maybe like I said earlier drop Baines for Shaw as with Rooney on the left there is no protection

I wouldn't drop sterling I'd play him on the wing.

I still think stay with the team against Italy, we were unlucky not to get the first goal, then came back straight away after we conceded. Gave away a VERY poorly defended goal and almost got punished as we pushed for an equaliser.

I honestly didn't see too mych wrong other than defending down the left and getting tired as the game went on. Barkley is just not a consistent performer for me, blows hot and cold

• Like 1

It was obvious, surely, to all who watched, that all our problems were down our left side. An England manager with any nous should have seen this as Rooney was obviously "sulking" cos he was told to play on the left. He should have been subbed at half time and James Milner bought on. He would have done a good job of giving poor old Baines some cover.

I know most of you think that's a backward step but we needed someone to do the work, we had enough "flair" players on the pitch.

Errrrrr..... We get enough of the pundits turning the World Cup into English only analysis- do t need that in here too. There's another 31 teams to discuss

:lol: :lol:

Ok the other 31 teams are there

Thats enough of that, back to England :)

It was obvious, surely, to all who watched, that all our problems were down our left side. An England manager with any nous should have seen this as Rooney was obviously "sulking" cos he was told to play on the left. He should have been subbed at half time and James Milner bought on. He would have done a good job of giving poor old Baines some cover.

I know most of you think that's a backward step but we needed someone to do the work, we had enough "flair" players on the pitch.

Spot on fella, none of the subs solved that problem imo

I think Baines and Rooney took most of the stick but it is up to the manager to recognise the problems and do something about them

I'm pretty sure the Italian dressing room were discussing out left side at half time!

I wish Ashley Cole was playing against Italy actually, better defensively than Baines and still has more pace. A half time appearance by Milner would have been a good move, but we will never know. I think we have to attack to defend for the remaining two games, sticking Milner out there will just invite teams which in my opinion are not as good as England onto us offensively, Cahill and Jags are just not up to the task of England sitting back, they make too many mistakes. I think we should take the chance of pushing forwards and retaining possession further up the field.

Still cant see a role for Barkley yet though, can't play him left side, and would be totally wrong to remove our best player on the night Sterling and move him out of a position he is so dangerous in to accommodate a player untested at international level. I think its up to Barkley to force the issue of his selection in central midfield.

Milner is awful. I'd take a Rooney who can make something happen over a Milner who runs around more.

In other news, Argentina didn't make my tip drip. Unless Germany turn it on tonight, France and Holland look the best from R1 by miles.

I mentioned previously that France do look strong, they have come in with no one talking about them but they have a really good side.

It will be interesting to see the south american teams play a decent european side to see how much the south american effect is going to play out. Most pundits have written off chances of a european team win but I didnt see argentina do anything that would scare the netherlands so far in the tournament.

Milner is awful. I'd take a Rooney who can make something happen over a Milner who runs around more.

In other news, Argentina didn't make my tip drip. Unless Germany turn it on tonight, France and Holland look the best from R1 by miles.

Yeh,he's so bad he plays for the Premier league champions B)

Yeh,he's so bad he plays for the Premier league champions B)

So many times last season, practically the first name on the sheet and he'd definitely be getting a new contract even if they had enough UK trained players to pick a CL squad without him.

I mentioned previously that France do look strong, they have come in with no one talking about them but they have a really good side.

It will be interesting to see the south american teams play a decent european side to see how much the south american effect is going to play out. Most pundits have written off chances of a european team win but I didnt see argentina do anything that would scare the netherlands so far in the tournament.

Agreed. I'm sure the pundits still think it takes 6 weeks by steam boat to get to South America when they repeat that stat, since the last WC in South America (1978) teams are better at acclimatising to foreign climates and cuisine, generally transporting the entire back-room staff to the host nation, including the bloke who runs the cafe Rooney gets his bacon butties from on the way to Carrington. :lol:

They keep mentioning the climate as if the world cups being played on Mars

Yes South America is hot but so are parts of Europe :lol:

God help um in Qatar.

I must admit i just dont get this, i know its not in keeping with the usual conditions we play in but surely a good training programme would "acclimatise" them, that being the key word!

Got Argentina in the draw at work ... is that good ?

It's better than Honduras, not as good as Brazil. If your sweepo is paying places, you might get something from that.

Thanks

Winner takes all (a beer representing each Nation)