World Cup chat

LRF4N

Only a few days til kick off now looking forward to it

Japan and Germany were good world cups but South Africa wasn't great so hoping for another good tournament

Don't want Spain to win it again is rather see someone else win who iv not seen win before. I'm backing Argentina and wouldn't mind seeing Portugal win but as long as there's good games and goals

• Like 2

If be happy with Germany winning they've played some good football in the past 2 cups

I don't like Ronaldo either but still like watching Portugal play

Wouldn't mind seeing an outsider win like when Greece won the euros

If Brazil don't win it, they'll kick themselves. Home advantage, in form, arguably the best team there.

So they won't win it. :teeth:

I'd have a punt on Uruguay, I think. Belgium could be a dark horse. We'll lose to Italy, probably 2-0, then another loss to Uruguay by 1-0, then a staid 0-0 draw with Costa Rica. Woy to get the boot when he gets home.

Going to root for Holland mainly, aside from England. Just think the are a strong team together, and don't really throw them selves on the floor as much doing this old move

thumbnail_27731.jpg

What??? Have you not seen Robben?

Edited by Paddy78

The Dutch played the last final as if they were listening to "everybody was kung fu fighting" on the their I-pods, definitely don't want the whining Argentinians to win it, or the Germans even though they play disgustingly well and especially the Portuguese because of that arrogant rat Ronaldo. Can't say i'd like Brazil to win it as they always bloody expect to and then there are the Italians, who mistaken the world cup for Olympic diving. if the wind changes direction most of the team roll around the pitch as if they were on fire.

I'm having to support France after drawing them in the work sweep.

Hoping that Chile have a good tournament (Medel in particular so we might get a bit more money when he leaves :()

After that I'm supporting Uruguay, Italy & Costa Rica in the group stage :p

I'm having to support France after drawing them in the work sweep.

Hoping that Chile have a good tournament (Medel in particular so we might get a bit more money when he leaves :()

After that I'm supporting Uruguay, Italy & Costa Rica in the group stage :p

lucky you, i' going to have to support Ecuador :( although my boss drew Chile, so we have a 'last longer' bet going on, pretty sure if I make it to the second stage i'll win that!

Platini made sure of a nice easy French group, so expect them to have a decent run. Actually glad Ribery is out as he is just a nasty piece of work.

Germany have a fantastic side, that midfield is probably the best in the tournament even without Reus.

England I think will squeeze through a tight group, Suarez not been training since his injury, Italy are in a bit of a rut of form at the moment. Low scoring group and the odd goal could get a team through.

Hard to look past the South American teams though as Richy said you never get a Euro winner in South America. Spain I think are actually not the dominant force they once were, whose game is probably more suited to South American climates, but they still didnt do the business in the confeds cup.

Dark Horses are not as easy to pick now thanks to the internet, so much information on teams available. Belgium are not dark horses, they are one of the form teams in Europe at the moment, whether they have the experience to go a long way who knows. If I were to put a name on one, Switzerland for me (even though they were a group seed!), 9 clean sheets in last 15 games or something like that including beating Brazil. A young attacking side might surprise a few big names.

Chile are a good shout but having Spain and Netherlands in the group isnt great for them, but they are 'at home' as it were so we could see a big Euro name fall at the group stages there.

Didn't think you were a football fan Irfan! you will tell me what team from Glasgow you support next time I see you ,,,, :lol:

Think there is quite a few teams this year who could win it but,, Di maria, messi, aguero,,, with Teves on the bench, amazing front line.

IMO England wont qualify, I work across from avid Chelsea and England fan and we both agree on this. I mean Italy are a shadow of the team they have been in the past but England fall into that same boat too. Englands back 4 are very average, centre has 2 cracking players who are sadly heading towards the end of their career. Wiltshire and barkley are good players but they aren't the finished article as of yet.

Sterling, Henderson, Chamberlain drift in and out of games, Sterling when he is on it can cause teams issues. Up front is where it all falls down. I thought with Sturridge you would be good in this dept with the added bonus of bringing Lambert on and going more direct if its not happening. However watching him miss 3 clear chances against houndras I am not to sure. You can say it is a friendly but that is all the more reason he should be scoring. As always too much pressure goes on Rooney and hes expected to do everything and falls short through no fault of his own.

I wouldn't be shocked if England got through the group but on first look it doesn't look likely. Maybe everyone down south will enjoy it more knowning they can win!

I have to say I am looking forwards to watching England in this tournament more than I have done for years. We have been stuck with the disfunctional Lampard/Gerrard combo for years, a run of average keepers, a reliance on Rooney - just looking forwards to seeing Sterling, Barkley, Ox and the like getting involved and giving the team some added umpf. I dont expect England to go far, may even fail at group stage, but fair play to Woy for giving them the chance to build an England team for the next few years.

European team has never won in South America, and I can't see that changing. Brazil or Argentina for me.

We will struggle to get out of the group stages as usual. :wacko:

Can't see history failing to repeat so Argentina or Brazil for the win. England to get through the group stage, just, but won't get any further than that.

Pete

Kris I haven't had a team for the past couple of seasons it and will be another couple before I do ;):lol:

Ffs I alway knew I didn't like you :lol:;) you are right though, it might be another couple before you see them again with Hibs and hearts there :)