Just another Scam..!

WhackyWill

It's built in for things to be fixed by systems administrators and software developers customer services etc etc, but these idiots pray on the ignorant and fleece them :angry:

As for the success rate, I'm betting south of 1%, yea really, under 1%. But making 100+ calls a day can make some serious money.

Ok so when I have baited them in the past I usually take about 5 minutes trying to establish which company they are calling from.

They word it very clever if you ask them if they're Microsoft they deny it but insist they are from a windows support department.

The last one I had enough time on was doing exactly what Pete mentioned and taking me to event viewer where I would be "amazed in front of my eyes" at all the virus and malware errors on my PC.

I also ask them where they got my number from and how sure they know I have an issue. Typically they avoid the number question and state a wrong name (a name we have debt companies calling our number asking for) but they tell me an MCSE has been surveying our area and notified them of the problems originating from my PC. I nearly spat my coffee out laughing when I heard that one :lol:

There's a bit more to Remote Access than that. I've used it a few times, and it's very clear that you have to give permission for someone to take over your PC, and you can cancel it at any time by a single click.

Thats the problem - she gave him full permission and watched him do it

I'm going to open it up tonight and run the usual trojan killers etc

Edited by ioneabee

It is these guys / PPi / insulation etc that means we simply don't answer the landline anymore unless we know who it is - even though we are registered with TPS there are still at least three or four calls each evening. Landline is simply there now as part of the Broadband package :shrug:

• Like 1

There's a bit more to Remote Access than that. I've used it a few times, and it's very clear that you have to give permission for someone to take over your PC, and you can cancel it at any time by a single click.

How have you convinced her that you're not a scammer LOL ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How have you convinced her that you're not a scammer LOL ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

;)

malawarebytes has found nothing at all running - wow - wasn't expecting that

going to run it again though in safe mode to be sure

other stuff I've removed though are

• gotoassist - thats how he gained access (with owners consent)
  • advanced system protector
  • mypcbackup - not spyware, but a bloody nuisance one

as a precaution - she's cancelled her credit card

just finished the safe mode run - 151 items found

mostly pup.optional. (and then various program names of the above) ie "potentially unharmful programs"

Yeah, the problem is that lots of these programs/toolbars will install without you really knowing. Things are often embedded into legit programs that you download...Java is a good example of this. I must have removed a dozen toolbars or search engines that Caroline has unwittingly installed.

Pete

We run expensive anti virus software on our servers and we still get

sh!t because some of the staff will go an a restricted site, and and we end

up with spy ware on the system. :angry:

I think its you will. I think you go on it for that smiley you love using so much.

Surely the restriction controls aren't good enough then :shrug:

Still need a landline to have internet.

Yeah, but not a phone. Just don't plug it in. I honestly don't even know my home number. Never once needed the use of a landline phone in nearly 10 years now.

Some things are still best done a proper sized screen, like work.

WUT ??

Edited by Suits

Cost of calls from landlines to mobiles, particularly from relatives abroad and/or those who simply do not use internet, are the primary reasons why we have to keep a landline, and which I will be using to hook up a Smart TV soon. :)

It is also necessary if you work from home and for many sourcing professional services simply having a mobile number to contact can ring alarm bells as to just what that professional status actually is. I also see a lot of posts on here where mobile users have got frustrated about the limitations of their mobiles for posting on here - and it is so much easier to use the the pc or mac.

But I certainly would be lost without a mobile now, although the increasing email/text (that are on silent) and clearing them is becoming a full time job in itself - its no wonder people seem glued to their phones these days :lol:

My mobile is a pay as you go and several years old, £10 lasts me several years :lol: . I just find them too fiddly and too time consuming and I'm at home most of the day anyway. While I still get bombarded with nuisance calls, phone blocker takes care of this and I only know when I scroll through the display that I've actually been called.

Pete

I think its you will. I think you go on it for that smiley you love using so much.

What this one....whatever3.gifwhatever3.gif..

• Like 1