Dan's Euro Jaunt - Day 11 p10 DONE!

Ekona

A little while ago I kinda hijacked Wasso's thread regarding my own Euro adventure, so decided that I should probably start my own thread and let him hijcak mine! :lol: The premise of the trip is very simple: One man, one car, two countries, ten days.

This is the route I'm taking

Having seen so many threads on PH that start "I got up this morning and drive to X country for no reason", I decided I wanted a bit of that. I used to live in the Canaries for a while ten years ago so Spain has always been a little bit in my heart since then, but I've never done the mainland. This needed remedying, and so the basic plan was born. My OCD wouldn't really let me just rock up one morning and go for the drive with no plans, and plus that would cost me a fortune, so instead I've planned the route down to pretty much the smallest detail but at least that means I won't waste time or miss bits. :)

The first couple of days are spent in France, travelling down in one loooooong hit and getting some sleep before attacking the Pyrenees over two days. I'll then head into Spain, taking in the coastal route and passing right past the Nou Camp (be rude not to!) on the way to the very southern tip of Spain. From there I'll head back up, following the Portuguese border. I'll then drive the northern coast, coming inland to make the most of the wonderful-looking roads there before diverting once again through the Pyrenees and back up through France.

I've tried to compromise between some serious blats and the more dull motorways just to get places, but there should be more than enough fun roads to keep me entertained. Hotels are very much at the lower end of the scale, and I've no idea if they'll be any good or not. I'm not planning on eating like a king, so even if I live out of service stations for the ten days I can stomach that if the roads are good. That said, the odd gourmet feast would be appreciated.

I've booked the trip for the end of May/start of June, so a little over 5 months from now. I've a lot to plan between now and then, not least what I'm going to take with me in terms of preparing for any mechanical failure but also snacks in case the service station food is awful! :lol: Truth be told I'm a little nervous too, as I've never driven abroad by myself much less round a country I've never been to, but I'm hoping it'll be good fun nevertheless. :)

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 2

Looks awesome, envious! - Well, I dont envy you on day 1 haha thats a big first day.

You ain't kidding, really needs an early start! Got the Eurotunnel booked for 6:50am, so should be out of Calais by 7:30am and on my way.

Sounds excellent, Dan, make sure you take your camera... B)

Am probably going to order a GoPro3 and a shedload of SD cards, along with my D90 for more general shots.

• Like 1

Wow that looks like a epic route! never really considered Spain as a driving location, but loved my time in the Pyrenees a few years back - somehow a very different feeling to them than the Alps. Also, make it three countries by having lunch in Andorra :thumbs:

looking forward to seeing the pictures!

thats one hell of a route....£700 to £800 in fuel alone.... Nice

Hence the cheap hotels! :lol:

Also, make it three countries by having lunch in Andorra :thumbs:

That's not a bad shout, if I get the time I think I might well do that, ta.

er, what car are you using if your porker is sold?

Either the Impreza or Cayman R. Worst case is I take the MX-5, but that's really a last ditch thing as it would be a horrible grand tourer.

I think I'm going to keep the 911 though. I like it too much.

If you're a partying man, I suggest heading up to Santiago de Compostela !

I used to live there, winter/spring is fantastic as all of the students are about, and it was crazy times in the best sense :D

And just a quick google maps question for folks:

Like the OP I make my own little routes for drives, however, I can't bloody get them to load into the navigation, or if you press 'Get Directions'.

It doesn't go from A,B,C etc so I have to keep looking at the screen to ensure I'm following the blue line :lol: (also, does anyone know why they thought blue on top of blue was a good idea for following?)

Edited by RobPhoboS

Keep your eyes open as speed cameras in France are all signposted about 1km in advance. And they don't communicate with DVLA so if they take your photo you won't get any nasty letters.

However, if the Gendarmes clock you they sit and wait at the next Payage tollbooth, and they get pretty unhappy with you

Have you thought about going down over the Massif so you go over the Millau Viaduct?

Have a good trip!

Having been stripped of my licence by the gendarmes and fined 750EU for giving it some beans back in 2009, I know all about the French police :wink: :lol:

There's so much more I want to do on the trip: Milau, Monaco, the Alps, Italy... I had to call it quits somewhere sadly, and it gives me scope to play next year if nothing else. :)

I went on a pretty decent road trip in 2011

Brussels

Nurburgring

Stuttgart

Zurich

Como

Milan

Monaco

St Tropez

Lyon

Paris

Home

We did this over 2 weeks and it cost a fortune, but loved every minute!

Will do another one but with less locations so I can spend more time in each!

Have you thought about taking a different route back through france? :shrug:

Unfortunately time is against me. I'm leaving on a Thursday, and then travelling home the Saturday the weekend after so I have the Sunday to recover before work on Monday. If I could've had a full two weeks off then absolutely, I definitely would've done that.

I really want to go over to Europe for some trackdays / alpine blasts but none of my friends have decent cars or any interest / track experience.

Might be going back to spa or LeMans this year though. Will have to convince my mate that we're better in the Z than his yaris :lol:

Good luck and all the best :thumbs:

Have you thought about taking a different route back through france? :shrug:

Have you thought of missing out France altogether? The drive down from Calais will be turgid if you plan to mostly use motorways. I know that you've booked your hannel crossing but did you consider Portsmouth - Santander/Bilbao crossing? You would be nearer the Pyrenees and could take in Pamplona, get a few happy snaps on the Bull run route and the roads to the mountains are great.

I've not studied your route through the Pyrenees too closely, but if you can, take in a village called Ainsa, the historic part is very nice but the route there and through it is stunning, lots of twisty, good forward visibility, empty and the added bonus of overhanging rock on some of the roads that can really make your car sing with a nice symphonic echo.

Personally I would give a large chunk of the southern coast roads a miss, especially the motorways, near the cities they are downright dangerous with every Spaniard willing to prove that they are Fernando Alonso!, especially nearer Marbella to Gib The non motorway roads that hug the coast and shadow the motorways are loaded with all sorts of slow traffic and traffic that are avoiding the tolls.

If you still go through with the route your planning, don't give the Atlantic highway in Portugal a miss, some stunning, fast stretches there, don't know too much about the road that runs up the border though. The poster who mentioned Santiago de Compostela is right, stunning place and the food, it's fantastic and cheap. Coruna further North is also worth a stop. The Costa Verde in the north is beautiful, and together with taking in Leon and the Picos Mountains is a stunning area with lots of small coastal towns or interior villages to stop off at (a couple of years ago, 2009 actually, we stopped at a coastal village up there and had tapas and coffee for a Euro each!!, they don't see many tourists in some parts).

If you plan to take in Millau in France, that.s a fair diversion away from the Spanish Pyrenees, maybe best saved for another time, enroute to The Camargue/Provence/Cotes D'Azure?

Have a great time whatever you decide, personally I think it's a bit ambitious in the timescale and distances involved, if you plan to have any decent rest stops, but perfectly doable as an endurance run.

Good luck :thumbs: