Dan's Euro Jaunt - Day 11 p10 DONE!

Ekona

Some great advice there, much appreciated :)

I did think about the ferry and it would've been my preferred choice, but dates didn't work sadly.

Just checked out Ainsa, does look good but it's going to take me significantly off my route which then borks travel time to hotels. That said, if I've misjudged it and have more time or if the planned routes I've got are rubbish, it's great to have a back up plan.

The motorways heading south are indeed going to be crap, however I'm so determind to hit the southern tip that it's my only real option. There's a couple of detours which should split the journey up, just need to make sure I've got enough fuel beforehand. Speaking of which, how did you find the availability of the stuff around there? I'm assuming that as long as you stick to the main routes then you'll be able to grab something every hundred miles at least? Any input from any one on this would be great, it's the one thing I'm very unsure of. :(

Looks like my route takes me right through the Picos anyway, which is an unexpected bonus! I think the second half of the trip will probably be better than the first, which should at least give me something to look forward to when I'm plodding down the toll roads :lol:

I'm conscious of the long drive times, and I'm relying very much on good traffic and good weather throughout to see me through, neither of which are guaranteed. When I did LEJOG in one day in '11 I didn't find that I needed to stop and stretch my legs for too long, and whilst I was exhausted in the evening that could've been because of the ridiculously early start. I figure that between 7-8 hours each day on Google maps is going to be 6-7 at the max, which should be fine. I prefer early mornings to late nights though, must be getting old.

You'll not struggle with fuel stops, even some of the more remote areas are well catered for, both times I toured Spain, big tours that is, was in my old Rex and that needed fuel every hundred yards or so :lol:

My only planned trip to the continent this year, so far is to Provence/Cotes D'Azure area and I'm contemplating going through Spain again, best coffee in Europe, fact!

In the southern part of your journey, hang a right at Puerto Banus and head up to Ronda, that is a stunning drive and made for a good GT car, take an hour or two but Gib can be reached in about three hours from there, used to go there on an odd weekend when I was in Gib. Spain's oldest bullring and a stunning gorge are not to be missed there.

If you plan to go into Gib, leave your car in La Linea and walk over the border, the queues from the Spanish side can be horrific, especially when they close the runway for aircraft use. We always hired a car on the Spanish side to avoid the queues, when heading up the coast.

You'll certainly have no probs obtaining fuel in that area,Spain's biggest refinery is just down the road :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

So, quick update time.

After chatting with some guys on PH, it would seem that although the French Pyrenees look good on paper, and the views stunning, the roads are simply too busy and in too bad a condition to make them worthwhile doing. As such, I've amended the Day Two route to take me into Spain much earlier:

http://goo.gl/maps/usPby

The N260 is said to be unmissable, and whilst I'm sad to not be heading up and making the most of the altitude changes, it does look a little bit special I have to admit. I'm going to look into cancelling my hotel in Ax-les-Thermes and grabbing a hotel in Spain instead, but if I can't it's only a 30 min detour so not the end of the world. I've also started making a list of things to bring/remember, which so far looks like this:

Passport

EU medical card

Insurance & V5

Hi-vis

First aid kit

Oil

Tools

Washer fluid

Cleaning stuff

Coat/hoody/hats

Suntan lotion

Aftersun

Snacks

iPad, iPhone, camera, memory cards

GoPro (to buy)

Camera mounts

Notepad & pen

Laptop?

Sleeping bag

Power cables

Travel adaptor

Tyre plug

I'm adding as I think of it, if there's anything I've missed please shout up. :) Have also begun re-learning Spanish so I don't look like a complete nubcake when I get out there.

Ooh good shout mate, I'd forgotten about the breathalyser! Licence I always keep in my wallet anyway, but it can definitely go on the list just in case I change wallets before then.

France also require you to carry spare bulbs including headlight

So, quick update time.

After chatting with some guys on PH, it would seem that although the French Pyrenees look good on paper, and the views stunning, the roads are simply too busy and in too bad a condition to make them worthwhile doing. As such, I've amended the Day Two route to take me into Spain much earlier:

http://goo.gl/maps/usPby

The N260 is said to be unmissable, and whilst I'm sad to not be heading up and making the most of the altitude changes, it does look a little bit special I have to admit. I'm going to look into cancelling my hotel in Ax-les-Thermes and grabbing a hotel in Spain instead, but if I can't it's only a 30 min detour so not the end of the world. I've also started making a list of things to bring/remember, which so far looks like this:

Passport

EU medical card

Insurance & V5

Hi-vis

First aid kit

Oil

Tools

Washer fluid

Cleaning stuff

Coat/hoody/hats

Suntan lotion

Aftersun

Snacks

iPad, iPhone, camera, memory cards

GoPro (to buy)

Camera mounts

Notepad & pen

Laptop?

Sleeping bag

Power cables

Travel adaptor

Tyre plug

I'm adding as I think of it, if there's anything I've missed please shout up. :) Have also begun re-learning Spanish so I don't look like a complete nubcake when I get out there.

Condoms.

I suspect the other half wouldn't be too impressed if she saw me packing those...! :scare::lol: It's a good thought though, if I were single. Which I'm not. And I never will be. Because she's awesome and I'd never cheat on her. Ever.

Just in case she ever reads this. ;)

• 1 month later...

Update times! :)

Just ordered myself a GoPro HDHero3 Black edition, along with another memory card and some mounts for the car. I've procrastinated over buying one of these for a while, and since I've a trip to Spa at the end of the month it seemed like a good place to practice using it. I also need to update my EHIC card as it runs out in April, good thing I checked really!

I've had some interest in the 911 now too, so there's a chance that I won't actually be doing this trip in that and I'll need to find myself another steed, however I'm kinda now hoping that no-one will buy it as I can't pick a better car for the trip really.

I've also managed to find a couple of companies that do the toll tag thing for the motorways in both France and Spain, however the Spanish one is a bit fiddly to get hold of and I don't think it's worth my time chasing that. Nowt wrong with just hopping out of the cab and running round to pay the fare, I can't imagine the queues will be that bad really.

• 1 month later...

Another month gone, time for a few more words, albeit they're not very exciting ones.

In exactly 6 weeks' time, I shall be at the Premier Inn in Folkestone, hopefully getting some serious shut-eye before the massive drive through France. It's come around really quickly, and I'm having to think a little more about the car itself and the prep needed. Of course, the basics shall be sorted out like making sure I've enough tread left on the tyres (I suspect the rears may need prematurely changing, just in case) and ensuring I've enough oil to take with me (the DFI is a thirsty beast, and with over 4000 miles to cover (!) I'm going to need at least 5L of Mobil 1 with me.

There's also the geo to get done as well as it's not been sorted this year yet, and yes I know I've broken my own rule about doing it every six months :blush: I also want to change the oil before I go, which whilst not needed according to Porsche, I reckon it's a the sensible thing to do once a year. That'll be 15 litres of oil I need to order for the whole trip then...

What else? Well, I should be checking the brakes too: The discs I'm happy with as they passed warranty with no issues last year, but the pads may need looking at. All fluid levels is another no brainer but can't be forgotten. Am I missing anything else? I don't know, answers on a postcard please.

So six weeks to do all that. Eeep. I think I should probably get a move on and get this sorted really! :wacko:

....... the DFI is a thirsty beast, and with over 4000 miles to cover (!) I'm going to need at least 5L of Mobil 1 with me .......

yikes that's some serious oil consumption !!

It's much better than it was, but better to be safe than sorry. Normally it's about a litre every couple of thousand miles, but I expect to do some serious hooning :)

Eeep indeed!! Wiper blades in good nick? Hopefully you won't need them :)

Ooh good shout, I should probably get some more.