Dan's Euro Jaunt - Day 11 p10 DONE!

Ekona

Cheers dude, it really was worth it when the roads got good. :)

How awesome would that have been in the dry?!

I thought you said there was Snow :stir: . . . thats just a dribble :lol:

Sounds like your having an adventure B) Drive Safe :thumbs:

I did say there was snow... ;)

Probably not a patch on what you get though, but trust me, in a 2WD 911 it's really not much fun!

And just to prove that it's really not all bad:

Like I said, the two extremes of the weather yesterday.

The weather is nuts everywhere mate, coldest spring in the uk for 50 years, my Bro in Law is in the SE of France now and it's usually way into the 20's by now, Thursday was 12 degrees and "damp", I think he was being polite though!!? :)

Day 4

Guess what went wrong today? Yup, nothing! :yahoo:

Breakfast was good, albeit shared with a massive group of German or Scottish bikers (no idea what language they were speaking, it was one or the other) and I had a great run down. The coastal road was cracking (vids to come) and the sun was glorious. I stopped off on the top of a particularly scenic bit of road and sat there reading a magazine, watching the traffic come past which included a 991 cab (who waved) and a last gen Mustang (who didn't, but the V8 was to die for). It made a nice change to have time to spare, I can tell you.

Had a good run to Barcalona, and found the Nou Camp without too much trouble, although someone should probably mention to the locals that it might be a good idea to stick up at least one sign post telling you where it is. It was brilliant, you can tell just how passionate the locals are about their club: The season has ended and there were still loads of market traders outside selling shirts, flags and scarves, and fans were just hanging around the stadium chatting with each other. Top stuff. *EDIT* Whoops, there is one more game in La Liga, and Barca are at home today. F*cksocks, if I'd known I'd probably have gone and watched them. :(

Hotel for tonight seems promising, clean and has private locked parking (at 7EU per night, natch), and there's proper cabled interweb access in the rooms. You can take the nerd out of Essex...

Oh, one sad thing: I got chocolate down my nice new pink t-shirt :(

Edited by Ekona

ARGH I WENT TO GET SOME FOOD AND THE F*CKING RESTAURANT IS CLOSED ON SATURDAYS - THE GIRL ON RECEPTION LIED TO ME!!!11 :rant: :rant: :rant:

I got them to make me a cheese pizza instead, and it was alright actually. Still a bit miffed though, even if the lass did ring to apologise.

Day 5

Sadly today's hotel has bumped from the pikey hotel room to the posh apartments, which means I have no wifi unless I sit in reception (like I am now) and I don't fancy doing that all evening, so have bought some beers and am going to watch the football in a bit. As such, only pics today and no vids :(

Today took me further down the coast, via Valencia and Benidorm to Just outside Cartagena. This meant oranges, orange Brits, and then some more orange Brits. It also meant...

pits_zps24be41ba.jpg

VALENCIA F1 STREET CIRCUIT BABY!! :D

grid_zps1c6f8c2d.jpg

Yup, that's me sat on pole, where hopefully Lewis will be sat next year in his 2014 championship winning car (okay, a man can dream) for the Spanish GP. Surprising how much of it remains open, I could probably have had a good wander around were there not guardia just round the corner blocking a road off, and I didn't know if I was allowed to park there for long or not. Getting towed away would be really bad.

Also, whilst driving through the countryside I randomly came across this parked up and had to get a couple of pics:

brothers1_zps7adce599.jpg

brothers2_zps6834bb2c.jpg

That's an impact bumper era 911 from (I think) the late 70's, although it could be an early '80s one. Either, way it's beautiful and it was just sat there, no owner in sight sadly. Makes my car look a bit of a biffer! :lol:

Spent the late afternoon wandering around Los Alcazares, which meant strolling along here:

null_zps8539d924.jpg

...and having one of these:

null_zps07c46fe3.jpg

Such a hard life. Also, topless sunbathing ftw. Not from me, I hasten to add, nor did I get any pics before you ask!

I'm giving serious thought to halving tomorrow's run which was due to take in some more mountain roads and heading straight for Algeciras, which means I'll be able to cross into Gibraltar and tick another box off. In fact, that's made my mind up, I'm going to do just that. Mountain driving is awesome, but I think a day off will do me good.

Day 6

Wow. Did I make the correct decision last night to forego driving roads in lieu of visiting Gibraltar or what!

Had a good run down, barely any traffic and I didn't bother setting up the GoPro nor TomTom either, so the cabin seemed very spartan and more natural. Eventually managed to get into Gib at about 2pm, weather was stunning. I've a short vid of that (well, me driving the whole of Gib pretty much) for later, so I won't say too much.

And finally, the furthest south in Europe I've ever been myself, and I'm pretty sure my 911 has ever been either:

success_zps12d39265.jpg

That's the Europa Point lighthouse behind me, which is the only UK lighthouse not on the mainland. Sadly the hoarding means you can't see Africa in that photo, but I can guarantee that it was as clear as day to see. Very epic sight.

So now I'm pretty much halfway, and as I've yet to clean the car you can see the full horror that is the body count on the numberplate:

flies_zps0e2efb5c.jpg

That's going to take some shifting to get it off the bumper and bonnet, I can tell you. I'm not too worried really as there's a seriously thick coat of wax protecting the paint, and even if it does ruin it which is possible in this heat, I've budgeted for a front end respray this year anyway.

I then popped into the nature reserve which is waaaaay up on top of the rock, and the roads you need to use are barely big enough for two vehicles and incredibly steep, far steeper than a sports car should be climbing. The 911 was okay, although I was a little concerned at the stress I was putting on the PDK 'box so left it in 1st gear and used the revs to get me up rather than the torque in a higher gear. Probably not an issue, but a bad place to find one out. Could've done with an LSD on one very sharp corner too!

Why was I in the nature reserve? Why, looking for these guys of course:

monkey_zpsebb8febe.jpg

Monkeys! Real Gib monkeys! Actually, they're apes, but it's more fun to shout "MONKEY!" at them in a PG Tips-stylee than just say ape normally, Had a wander around the caves there too, but I was running short of time so didn't see the war tunnels or other cool bits. Next time.

The hotel I'm at tonight is stunning, old Victorian style and I've just had a mahoosive buffet dinner, t'was very much appreciated and I'm now sat in the room with dos grande beers por favor writing this. Going to get an early night I think and leave earlier tomorrow, no fun drive was planned any way but the hotel is a fricking expensive one that I splashed out on, and I want to get my money's worth :teeth: