Dan's Euro Jaunt - Day 11 p10 DONE!

Ekona

Genuinely I've never, ever had an issue with mountain driving before, or any kind of driving at height. I've blasted round the IoM course plenty of times on multiple trips with no issues, and have done other stuff like Wales and Scotland with zero problems. I've only ever felt od about heights maybe 10 times in my entire life, and they were so brief that it was never a problem worth even considering.

Getting very close to beer o'clock now, bloody restaurants don't open until 8-8:30 everywhere in Spain and I'm starving! :lol:

Moi? Never!

Okay, so I possibly strayed a fraction over, but you'd be surprised at the limit of that road and just how short geared the 911 is.

Aha one of those roads without speed limit signs, I like those too :lol:

Car is fixed! Can't find the other 12v supply, but working on the basis that I have two I changed another fuse which was definitely blown and the cigarette lighter is functioning again!

Great success :D

Sssssshhhhhhhh the car will hear you and blow up again

I've got another spare fuse if it blows again though, I bought a spare pack from a petrol station out here not realising that Porsche actually give you spares anyway :blush::lol: They do say in the manual only to 'use official Porsche fuses that are designed for your vehicle' though: Utter load of b*llocks, it's a bloody fuse FFS!

Sssssshhhhhhhh the car will hear you and blow up again

I've got another spare fuse if it blows again though, I bought a spare pack from a petrol station out here not realising that Porsche actually give you spares anyway :blush::lol: They do say in the manual only to 'use official Porsche fuses that are designed for your vehicle' though: Utter load of b*llocks, it's a bloody fuse FFS!

He says..... Famous last words. ;)

Day 9

Upon waking this fine morning, I peered out of the bedroom window to gaze upon the mountain tops opposite, but alas could not see them. This was because they were covered in fog!

Despite yesterday, I was still going to carry on with my route but this new development meant that any kind of fun driving on roads where you can't see more than 2ft in front of you just isn't a good idea. As such, I carried on with the coastal road instead. T'was a nice drive, although even at just 100m above sea level the fog was definitely noticeable so I'm very glad I didn't bother trying to venture any further up.

I did find one bit of road which was quite high and open, nothing like yesterday but it still made me feel a bit odd, but I pushed through and was determined to drive it as hard as I normally would. I did too, so I felt like that was a little bit of success for the day :) Found a nice little beach as well where I stopped off to take some pictures, althbough I didn't hang around for too long: The beach was invaded by a group of school kids, guessing 12-13 years old, and a single bloke hanging around such an area with a flipping great camera taking photos was probably not such a good idea, so I left rather sharpish! :lol:

Before I headed for the hotel, I had a plan... Slightly longer video than usual due to decent upload speeds for a change.

Best laid plans and all that! Am at my final Spanish hotel now, and will pop down for some grub in a bit. I'm going to miss Spain as I've really enjoyed my time here, and heading back into France is really going to make the holiday feel like it's almost over.

I've pretty much had all four seasons in the one week :lol:

I've also discovered Mahou beer, which is pretty damn tasty. It's a lager but quite a smooth and creamy one, almost like a Caffreys or similar.

You talking about fuses etc, a friend of mine works for Porsche, and he has said they have refused warranty claims on some cars with aftermarket bits on them, even if they are totally irrelivent to the claim! Watch out. lol

Oh trust me, I know exactly how stringent Porsche can be with their warranty stuff, there's not a single non-OEM thing on mine apart from the PH smiley on the back window, It's why I had to cough up over £2K for the exhaust rather than a quarter of that, although I have to admit it is a decent bit of kit. I'm giving serious thought to not renewing the warranty this year though so I can fit various other odds and sods (mostly suspension bits, ironically OEM off a GT3), but I'm still not sure on that yet.

Yes....it can certainly rain in Green Spain. We travelled up to Panes from Santander once during a storm and there were literally whole trees floating down the river. You only need a sand storm now to complete the set.

I thought you were selling her mate :shrug:

I was, and only took her off the market last week. I've discovered that I've a bit more equity in the house than I thought (never was any good at maths) so the need to sell to fund the house move has pretty much disappeared overnight. I'm also very much aware that I've now had her for almost three years, which is the longest I've ever kept a car and I've not really seen anything 'better' that has caught my eye. I don't want to jinx things, but I may have found a keeper at last! A Zed may still be inbound to the household though later this year, watch this space ;)

Anyhoo, just at the hotel in Caen now uploading the vids & pics from today. Update soon! :D

Day 10

Blimey, day ten already. Seriously, where has the time gone? It was my last day in Spain today, but because of the altered route it took me less than 90mins to leave the country and it was a lot less exciting than entering, on account of having 100% less snow! :lol:

I do believe someone may have mentioned that I seem have encountered most conditions on this trip. Well, I didn't get a sand storm, but to prove how quickly it can change check this out:

Ridiculous, isn't it? I'm not sure if it's me that jinxed, but just as I came out of the tunnel the visibilty was near zero and probably worse in real life than the video makes out. Bizarrely once I'd cleared that little section I had gorgeous sunshine the rest of the way up, and I mean proper 100% sun with zero clouds. It was lovely, temps peaked at 31c which is the hottest I've seen all trip. Sod's law on the last day though.

I made good time on the motorways due to being able to cruise at 140kph indicated, so about 135kph in real terms. Limit is 130kph, but you're never going to get flashed or pulled for doing 5kph over the limit and it's surprising just how much that little bit extra makes to good progress and not getting stuck behind things. I know for a fact you won't get a tug for those speeds as I had a Renault 3-up with gendarmes come steaming up behind me as I was mid-overtake, and I'll be damned if I was going to speed up just in case they were looking for an easy Rosbif target so I left my speed as it was, and they flew past me when I pulled in.

Didn't sotp my heart rate increasing significantly though, remembering the last time I had a bunch of French police come flying up behind me in France...! :lol: (For those unaware, I lost my licence and got fined 750EU almost 4 years ago to the day at Le Mans).

Anyway, I pressed on and took a detour to Le Mans itself, coming in via Ecommoy and through Mulsanne. Tour guide video below :)

Managed to sneak a quick photo too, and I do mean quick as there was a tractor doing the grass cutting waiting for me to get out of the way!

DSC_0357_zps8de0561f.jpg

Left LM and headed straight for the Ibis I'd booked in Caen. Found it first time, rocked up and was promptly told that I had no booking :angry: I said I did, and that I'd had the confirmation email from Expedia. I was then told that they don't deal with Expedia, so I showed him the email. Turns out I was trying to check into the Ibis Budget, and that the Ibis Regular was literally right behind the cheaper one :blush: Ah well, at least I got the better end of that deal!

I'll leave you tonight with a couple of pics I took a couple of days back at the posh spa hotel that I've found that I really like. I may get one of these blown up into a poster for the garage.

DSC_0278_zps88d776e0.jpg

DSC_0265_zps6b26ae0f.jpg

Final day tomorrow, and my update will be done from my house :(

I thought you were selling her mate :shrug:

I was, and only took her off the market last week. I've discovered that I've a bit more equity in the house than I thought (never was any good at maths) so the need to sell to fund the house move has pretty much disappeared overnight. I'm also very much aware that I've now had her for almost three years, which is the longest I've ever kept a car and I've not really seen anything 'better' that has caught my eye. I don't want to jinx things, but I may have found a keeper at last! A Zed may still be inbound to the household though later this year, watch this space ;)

Anyhoo, just at the hotel in Caen now uploading the vids & pics from today. Update soon! :D

Bout time you had a proper car again :teeth: :stir: Nice pix mate, if they were of a Zed they'd be calendar contenders, oh well you can't have it all :surrender:;) Safe journey home :thumbs:

Bet it feels that trip has gone in a flash

I hope you just havent jinxed him and he gets flashed tomorrow in old blighty! :lol:

Really enjoyed living your trip with you. Thanks for sharing

Edited by Fodder

Day 11

The end of the trip. As disappointed as I was to have reached the end of my adventure, I couldn't have wished for a better end.

My hotel in Caen put me within perfect distance to visit the Normandy D-Day beaches in the morning, a place I'd been before but had always promised myself I'd go back to as there is so much to see and do. Five years ago I managed to see Utah, Omaha and Gold beaches, so I'd already made up my mind to go see Juno and Sword today. First off though, I had to go back to Omaha.

DSC_0361_zpsd32c79cc.jpg

DSC_0370_zps8fa042f6.jpg

The two pics above are from the Omaha Museum and the beach monument respectively.

DSC_0386_zpsfff5d03b.jpg

This was another museum, found on the way to American War Cemetery.

DSC_0389_zps5ab07899.jpg

The cemetery itself. Due to the recent rainfall the plots were closed so I couldn't really get any more decent images, but the scale of the place is immense.

I make no apologies for having precious little to say about these beaches, museums and cemeteries, but only because words can never do them justice. The whole area of Normandy encompassing all the varies beaches and visitor spots is one huge monument to the appreciation and gratitude that still exists from the French to the Allies for their efforts and losses on 6th June, 1944. Flags fly everywhere, and wherever there is a Tricolore there is a Union Flag or a Stars And Stripes to accompany it. Forget everything you ever thought you knew about how the three nations have a mocking grudge for each other: That goes all out the window in Normandy.

I challenge anyone to visit the area and not feel an incredible emotional attachment to the place, and what happened there. To say I had a lump in my throat at times during both visits is an understatement. It's a very powerful place, and one I would encourage everyone to visit at least once.

Anyway, after a brief visit to Omaha and the cemetery I went in search of Juno and Sword. Juno was fairly easy to find, being as it is right on Courseulles-sur-Mer front and well signposted. There's not much there to tell the truth, but again I felt it should be a place I should go to.

Sword was a little trickier to find, as it's a massive beach split into various towns. I stumbled across the second most westerly town, Langrune-sur-Mer, by accident. A pleasant enough place, but again not much there. Time was against me at this point, however I decided to press on and see if there was anything at the easterly most village, Ouistreham. I am so very, very glad I did.

DSC_0419_zps876eb3ac.jpg

DSC_0417_zps17e4f093.jpg

DSC_0463_zps02afbf1c.jpg

DSC_0459_zps7e1706b4.jpg

As I turned down a random street towards the beach, I saw a huge throng of a couple of thousand people in the town square, so I abandoned the car and set back to see what was happening. It turned out that as part of the 69th anniversary celebrations, they had invited all the Scots regiments piper and drumming bands over, along with some Swiss and other nations who I didn't catch. They were playing God Save The Queen as I walked up, then La Marseillaise, and then finally Flower Of Scotland. There were a few veterans milling around too, some in wheelchairs and some still quite nimble of foot, all proudly displaying their medals. After the anthems, and a few words from the organiser, we had this:

DSC_0442_zps62edc90b.jpg

A Spitfire did a fly-by and looped four times over us. Given the location, and the occasion, truly a lump-in-throat moment for all attending. If at any point I'd got lost in traffic, or stuck around somewhere else for a bit, or even stopped for a quick toilet break, I'd have missed all this. If really did feel like fate was on my side today. :)

DSC_0464_zpsff441e60.jpg

The final monument I saw, at Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer, where 48th Royal Marines landed first to take the western side of Sword. Really makes you proud to be British, standing there in the footsteps of heroes that have gone before.

And so gentle reader, that was the last great event of my trip. I got back home at about 7pm, and have yet to properly unpack or think about washing the car. I also have more footage that needs editing, along with some pictures, into a short 2 min brief of the trip which I'm hoping to do either tomorrow or Monday. I really hope that you've enjoyed reading about this little adventure, warts and all, and I can honestly say that having this place as a sounding board to post up has really kept the loneliness at bay, so thank you. If you've enjoyed reading any of this, I'd really appreciate it if you could 'like' this last entry as it would really mean a lot to me. Hopefully it may inspire someone else to get in a car and do a silly long road trip of their own one day. :)

I'll leave you with one final picture, that says it all.

IMG_2145_zps86088be4.jpg

• Like 2