Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

So you're running 050As all round now, albeit with a reduced rear width? What width are you running on the front?

My 050As are very acceptable on the 911, and they were great on my bro's HR in stock Ray sizes.

Just running OEM size on the Rays mate. I know they are a smaller width than the Falkens were but I would have expected better grip than this...they have near enough 6mm on them too.

I seem to be getting the TRC/Slip light a lot more round corners than the Falkens too, and I am not even driving hard. Never do in damp/wet.

• Like 1

Gotcha. So 050A in 225/45 and 245/45, correct?

It'll be down to your right foot. You're used to massive tyres on the rear, and sometimes even moving up a grade in tyre quality won't make up for the lack of width. You had the car set up for understeer, and now it's more neutral it'll feel like oversteer to you. Best to relearn your technique I reckon, you'll appreciate it more and have a nimbler car in the long run :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1 week in : review of Michelin Alpin PA4 on 18's (Winter Tyre)

I won't go into a great story, so I shall just say're they're great. :lol:

Okay a very small review whilst the snow hasn't hit the UK.

Prior to scrubbing, wow, go careful, greasy roads and you know they're not ready just yet. That was after 360 motorway miles too. Now that they're scrubbed and ready for a bit of banter, during temps of 0-7 degree's they've performed well on greasy roads, as well as dry roads. I can't believe how quiet these things are. The MPSS are god damn noisy in comparison, I feel like I have a civilised car between yaaaaaaarping.

The purpose of the tyre is for me the snowy times ahead, so I won't be giving these tyres a good bashing even when dry as I see there being no point. So my official snow review will come when, well, when it snows :lol:

520_540_pilot_alpin4.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi all, this is my first post!

I wanted to write a short review of the Toyo Proxes R1Rs.

So about 6 months after getting my 55 plate gun metal GT I had to bite the bullet and buy 4 new boots for the Z. The old tyres were the OEM Potenzas which I found a little to eager to let go and absolutely terrifying in heavy rain. They had about 4-5mm of tread left all round but a nail in the front nearside and the ESP light flashing at most roundabouts even when not pushing led to the decision.

I have always been a Toyo fan so originally looked for T1-Rs but after reading a couple of reviews settled on slashing out the extra £30 a corner on the R1Rs (you wouldn't run the 100m in your work boots and that). Anyways £560 and 3 months later here I am.

Spec is:

Toyo Proxes R1R

F-225/40 ZR18 88W

R-245/40 ZR18 88W

These tyres are brilliant!

The Bridgestones, I found, would quickly let go when cornering - the fronts would give a little understeer and then the back would snap. With the Toyos you get very progressive "slippage" but at about 10-15 mph higher than the Potenzas and is a lot more manageable. The most noticeable difference is in the wet especially under braking, there is just no drama unlike what used to happen with the BSs. I don't drive hard all of the time so I can't comment on fade but i have read that they are comparable to Yokos and Nankans of a similar spec. They are no louder than the BS either.

As mentioned I've been using these for the last 3 months and have worn less than 1/4 mm although I don't drive a huge amount (less than 7k a year) I expect them to last at least the next 18 months. They hold pressure extremely well. I had them filled with nitrogen (thanks costco) the day they were fitted and when I check them (weekly - karting habit) they are always spot on but do tend to rise a bit when warm. I ran 35 when they were fitted and the weather was rank and recently at 34.

All in all I am very happy with them and will definitely buy again! Plus they look effing awesome.

• 9 months later...

I checked my tyres today...

A pair of Roadstone n9000s and a pair of Sonar ultra sport sx-1 evos.

Wasn't sure what to do next, but think new rims and tyres may have jumped up the queue!

Edited by Randy_Baton

• 2 months later...

Been running a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's for a while now on stock 18 inch wheels. Fantastic improvement over the Bridgestones, much grippier and less 'roar' from the road. Seem to be wearing pretty slowly too!

Got the set from Just Tyres fitted for about £700

My Z came fitted with two "stones" but not the ones you think ! Rockstones, yes would you believe these are tyres . Couldn't wear them out, probably because sticking to the road was not part of the specification !!!

• 5 months later...

At the risk of getting shot down in flames here! From the MPSS gang :D

Currently trying out a full set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on the car, as it has rained here torrentially for the last 12 weeks.

Rays 18 with correct sizes front and back.

I must say first impressions are they are a superb tyre in the wet, standing water is no issue to them at all.

Greasy roads they hold on very well indeed.

No chance of finding dry roads as yet but so far so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick long term review of MPSS tyres. I've had them fitted for 12 months now in this time I've done 3 laps of the Nurburgring 1 full day at brands and 1 full day at oulton park. The grip level they offer on track as far as road tyres go is second to none the back end never really gets out of shape even when the fronts are squealing on turn in. When they do let go it is so progressive I think even my nan could handle it. Wear wise they are doing quite well as well, don't get me wrong the tread blocks are looking pretty torn up after the track days but they still have a good 4mm left on them and that's with the above use and 5k miles on the road. My brother was so impressed with these tyres he's putting them on his rs4 and I won't be putting anything else on the zed or my next car for that matter. They may be more expensive than alternatives but trust me they're worth it!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had two sets on the 370z so far...

First set;

Front - Original Bridgestones = Rubbish, had lots of understeer when pushed.

Rears - Hankook (v12 i think) = Pretty good grip, a lot better than bridgestone. I also liked the stiff sidewall.

Second set;

Front - MPSS = Best tyre so far, can be pushed a lot harder and good grip in the wet.

Rear - Goodyear Eagle F1 = Seems to have the same level of grip as MPSS but the major disappointment for me is that the sidewall is so damn soft!!! the rear body roll felt noticeably softer/squishy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've had two sets on the 370z so far...

First set;

Front - Original Bridgestones = Rubbish, had lots of understeer when pushed.

Rears - Hankook (v12 i think) = Pretty good grip, a lot better than bridgestone. I also liked the stiff sidewall.

Second set;

Front - MPSS = Best tyre so far, can be pushed a lot harder and good grip in the wet.

Rear - Goodyear Eagle F1 = Seems to have the same level of grip as MPSS but the major disappointment for me is that the sidewall is so damn soft!!! the rear body roll felt noticeably softer/squishy.

What was the wear rate like on the V12's ? Had them on the Focus ST and they seemed good. Just need to decide if I want them on the Z or to go with the Rainsports ?

• 1 month later...

Left a bit stumped on what to buy in the future. I have OME wheels on my '03 Zed and Michelin stopped making the Pilot Super Sport for the rear size :'(

My previous set up had amazing handling, reaction and control. I felt safe driving fast as the car did what I wanted to do.

Front 235/45R18: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Rear 245/45R18: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Now I know the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is meant to be the sucessor of the Pilot Super Sport but the Pilot Sport 4S is only being made for 19/20" rims and I cannot get them on my car unless I buy new rims.

I cannot get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as they don't make them for the front size...

Who else is running the OME wheels on their Zed? Recommendations?