Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Anyway, some time over the next few months i will be putting all 4 new shoes on the Zed. a full set of CSC3s is £660 from camskill. which is considerably cheaper than the michelin PS3 (also noticed that the MPSS has dropped to around the same price as the MPS3

:blink:

You sure?! That would make the MPSS the absolute no brain bargain of the century if they're now that cheap! You do mean the inferior PS3 and not the PS2, right?

Anyway, some time over the next few months i will be putting all 4 new shoes on the Zed. a full set of CSC3s is £660 from camskill. which is considerably cheaper than the michelin PS3 (also noticed that the MPSS has dropped to around the same price as the MPS3

:blink:

You sure?! That would make the MPSS the absolute no brain bargain of the century if they're now that cheap! You do mean the inferior PS3 and not the PS2, right?

£194.90 for a rear PSS in 40 profile and £187 for a PS3 now on camskill. the PSS was well over £200 when i got my last rear PS3s. now there is only a £7 difference between the 2 which is peanuts if the difference really is as big as you say it is. the contis are quite a bit cheaper. was thinking of trying them out but i don't want to regret it.

• 4 weeks later...

I had two bridgestone potenza s001 fitted to the rear this morning in standard 245 45 18 flavour recommended by my local tyre man whos opinion I trust. These replace the federal super steel 595s that were on the car when i bought it in october.

I've only done 20 miles on them so far, nice and slow to put a heat cycle throught them. I'll report back next weekend after a weeks commuting but I reckon they should be better than the federals which were noisy and pretty much useless on anything other than bone dry tarmac.

• 3 weeks later...

I had two bridgestone potenza s001 fitted to the rear this morning in standard 245 45 18 flavour recommended by my local tyre man whos opinion I trust. These replace the federal super steel 595s that were on the car when i bought it in october.

I've only done 20 miles on them so far, nice and slow to put a heat cycle throught them. I'll report back next weekend after a weeks commuting but I reckon they should be better than the federals which were noisy and pretty much useless on anything other than bone dry tarmac.

So I've put a couple of hundred miles on these and I like them, they are quieter and road compliance is certainly better. I've not been able to break traction in a straight line in the dry.

I can't really comment on cornering grip as I don't often drive hard enough and the standard suspension is a bit whallowy when pushing hard but it seems ok. Also, this is the first premium tyre I've had on the car so it's difficult to make a comparison.

There you go then, I reckon they're alright. It's worth saying they were cheaper than Pilot Super Sports but probably more expensive than the Potenza 50a.

• 1 month later...

Can't make my mind up about what to go for next. not only that but im loving the borderline wear markered rears at the moment, so much fun to be had :drive1

Might try something slightly cheaper than the MPS3s i had on last time. i'm not overly fussed about out-and-out grip but i want to know exactly what is going on with the tyres at all times. bit of a dilemma really because that is the part of tyre reviews that's normally topped by the PS3 :( dilemma

MPS3s aren't really that great, try the VUS if you want a tyre that gives you a ton of feedback but sacrifices outright grip to do so. :)

You say they aren't that great but they are by far the best tyre out of eagle f1s, RE040 and FK452 that i've had so far.

They may not be as good as the supersport but in many cases i think they outperform the chassis of the Z.

I'll have a look into the VUS though, just don't want to spend a load of cash and be dissapointed

MPS3s aren't really that great, try the VUS if you want a tyre that gives you a ton of feedback but sacrifices outright grip to do so. :)

You say they aren't that great but they are by far the best tyre out of eagle f1s, RE040 and FK452 that i've had so far.

They may not be as good as the supersport but in many cases i think they outperform the chassis of the Z.

I'll have a look into the VUS though, just don't want to spend a load of cash and be dissapointed

eagle f1 gsd3's are probably my favourite tyre so far..

It really depends on how you're judging the tyre. I know Ekona and myself usually think about how it handles the driving on track and very enthusiastic driving. Whereas others may think of it in terms of normal daily driving.

It really depends on how you're judging the tyre. I know Ekona and myself usually think about how it handles the driving on track and very enthusiastic driving. Whereas others may think of it in terms of normal daily driving.

I haven't used them on track so lap times etc are irrelevant to me, but i find the limits to be very explorable in all conditions on the road.

I must admit that the rears have worn very quickly but this may be more down to the limit exploration than the tyres durability.

Yes the vreds are more feedbacky. But the mps3 are better IMO. I'm running them at the moment and that are decent. They also clear standing water better than the vreds. They are more pricey though.

Just changed to Falken 452s from Potenzas. It,s a big improvement and only cost £540 fitted. Mind you front and rear wheel alignment was out and cost £ 75 to correct.

Potenzas still had 3mill left but were starting to crack as they were the original seven year old tyres with 14000 miles on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the eagle F1s in the past on my 306 rallye, and randomly on my exige as a road tyre (the yokos were leathal in anything other than bone dry).

Can you still buy them though- I thought they'd been replaced by 'assymetrics'? If you can still get them, any idea where for the Z's size?

Gsd3's v-tread pattern are discontinued now for some bizarre reason

The assymericals are better. The gsd3's whilst great had a few problems. They would shred on gravel. They where noisy, I didn't notice how much until I replaced them and they had great wet grip but tending to hydroplane on puddles of a smallish size.

Thanks guys....best place to get falkens 452 in the south? Have them on the rear and awful vredestein on the front- understeer city and they're worn anyway. Certainly teaches you how to drive to eliminate understeer!

Going to replace with falkens all over as the rears are really very good in all weathers (bar snow).

Also, my tyres were up at 38psi- I believe this was a garage that put them up that high. I've now lowered them to 35 and the increase in grip- especially with all this rain is amazing. Shocking what 3psi will do!

Just changed to Falken 452s from Potenzas. It,s a big improvement and only cost £540 fitted. Mind you front and rear wheel alignment was out and cost £ 75 to correct.

Potenzas still had 3mill left but were starting to crack as they were the original seven year old tyres with 14000 miles on.

where did you gets these at that price.. am running them just now and love them

• 2 weeks later...

Had 4 Ultrac Sessantas fitted this morning, coming from stock bridgestones. Despite the rear bridgestones still having 4mm at the lowest depth (fronts had an inch or more bald ring in the middle :o ), the difference in rear grip was obvious from pulling out of the garage.

I've read loads of posts where people have talked about 'feel' of tyres and how progressive they are, and always just thought I was too daft/insensitive to know the difference - however, I think my eyes have been opened! Previously I had no idea if I was ever going to spin, or the back end was going to slip until it actually happened - I just kinda guessed, more likely on the conservative side as I very rarely triggered it in the dry. With the new tyres, despite still being fresh and not run in properly, I actually know whats happening with the car somehow, and can feel the slightest movement. I have no idea what causes this, but I absolutely love it, I can see it making a massive difference in the way I drive once i've clocked up a few hundred miles.

Road noise is much much better now too, for what thats worth.

All in all, despite not yet being run in & my limited knowledge of tyres, the Sessantas seem like a dastic improvement to me. I'll never even consider going back to 040s now, and I actually thought they were fine when I had them.

• 1 month later...

Just looking at getting some new tyres soon for the front, I know the size should be 224/45/18 I'M thinking of fitting 235/40/18 it's within the required limt for different size by 2.2% I'M thinking more contact & harder side wall with 40 series, please let me know if anyone as tried it, I did something like this with a 200sx I had a while ago it worked fine.

235/40R18 95Y XL TL VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA

PRICE: SPECIAL OFFER £111.95 inc.VAT Camskill Whitehaven.

Also

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p129 ... TL_SPECIAL OFFER £92.80 inc.VAT

Plus fitting on both of these prices around £10 extra per tyre.

Just looking at getting some new tyres soon for the front, I know the size should be 224/45/18 I'M thinking of fitting 235/40/18 it's within the required limt for different size by 2.2% I'M thinking more contact & harder side wall with 40 series, please let me know if anyone as tried it, I did something like this with a 200sx I had a while ago it worked fine.

235/40R18 95Y XL TL VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA

PRICE: SPECIAL OFFER £111.95 inc.VAT Camskill Whitehaven.

Also

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p129 ... TL_SPECIAL OFFER £92.80 inc.VAT

Plus fitting on both of these prices around £10 extra per tyre.

I used to run 235/40/18 on the front with 245/45/18. No TCS light. I now run 225/40/18 245/40/18. They are way cheaper and there is a difference in the weight of the tyre too.

Not a good idea. Ignore the percentage rule, what you're actually doing is decreasing the amount of stagger front to rear, which is going to lead to an oversteery car for the sake of saving a couple of quid. The VUS are available in the correct sizes, and are a great tyre, so just get the right ones. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Not a good idea. Ignore the percentage rule, what you're actually doing is decreasing the amount of stagger front to rear, which is going to lead to an oversteery car for the sake of saving a couple of quid. The VUS are available in the correct sizes, and are a great tyre, so just get the right ones. :thumbs:

Have you tried it?

Also a far better range of tyres are available like goodyear f1A2's. :thumbs:

Driven a car with reduced stagger? Yup, and it was a bloody deathtrap, and I'd never ever do it again. To be fair it wasn't my choice of tyres anyway, they came with the wheels I was purchasing but the tyres got binned literally as soon as I got home.