Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

but a top 5 poll just becomes a popularity contest, and not neccessarily advocates the best tyre, just the ones with the most users. and i know this last comment might get flamed, but alot of people on here don;t actually know how to drive properly anyway, and what they put across as in informed opinion is wrong from the offset. alot think they know; but they actually don;t.

• Like 1

but a top 5 poll just becomes a popularity contest, and not neccessarily advocates the best tyre, just the ones with the most users. and i know this last comment might get flamed, but alot of people on here don;t actually know how to drive properly anyway, and what they put across as in informed opinion is wrong from the offset. alot think they know; but they actually don;t.

+10000000000

I bet fk452 would get ranked above many superior tyre but would actually be as good. Just because the amount of people who use them. You cant blame them great tyre at a great price but its not the best.

Ok but we're talking about road tyres so we just need some subjective reviews for road tyres, we could have a separate review for track tyres (there might be one - note lack of search function.)

Great tyres

MPSS

MPS2 (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Goodyear eagle f1a2 ( my faves ) and f1a

Continental contisport 3's (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Good tyres

Vreds ultrac sessenta (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Goodyear eagle f1 GSD3's (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Toyo t1r (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Falken fk452 (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Michellin Pilot sport 3

Uniroyal Rainsport 2

I have used all of them tyres except for the MPSS so thats from my experience.

So this is good and thank you for taking the time to post, again!

+10000000000

I've told you a trillion times about exaggerating!! :stir:

• Like 1

most people use road tyres as track tyres, very few invest in proper track rubber unless they are a regular track attendee, or feel they need to grab every last 100th of a second. to be honest unless you're actually racing i think track rubber is a waste of money, going quickly round a track is more about knowing the track and the best way to drive it than it is about the tech.

so many people decide they want to go faster on a track day, so they ramp up the power, stick all the latest kit on it. try and build a race car. when they could have made a huge improvement to their time just spending several hours with a good instructor who knows that track.

prime example is topgear episode when clarkson raced the german lady in a transit. they both drove the same vehicle, same tyres same everything. and the difference in finish times was huge.

if you wanted to add some track tyres it would be the R888's and i think about 4 people on here use them.

most people use road tyres as track tyres, very few invest in proper track rubber unless they are a regular track attendee, or feel they need to grab every last 100th of a second. to be honest unless you're actually racing i think track rubber is a waste of money, going quickly round a track is more about knowing the track and the best way to drive it than it is about the tech.

so many people decide they want to go faster on a track day, so they ramp up the power, stick all the latest kit on it. try and build a race car. when they could have made a huge improvement to their time just spending several hours with a good instructor who knows that track.

prime example is topgear episode when clarkson raced the german lady in a transit. they both drove the same vehicle, same tyres same everything. and the difference in finish times was huge.

if you wanted to add some track tyres it would be the R888's and i think about 4 people on here use them.

Using proper rubber has its own problems though like if you use slicks then you need a way of getting them there and back. Also r888's are expensive and only really work well when hot. You will also most likely need other things like a baffled sump etc etc.

+10000000000

Also anyone who thinks this is a good thing to do should avoid posting in this thread :boxing:

5620745109_d4f7a898d7.jpg

toyos work alright on a light car but i think they are pants on a heavy car.

Yeah I've heard that from some other people as well regarding different cars.

But if anyone has used those tyres specifically on the 350z I'd be keen to know.

I think what people need to remember is that everyones driving style is different, so different tyres suit different peoples driving styles. also tyres vary in reviews on cars depending on the width and profile.

Absolutely, I only stick with the OEM recommend fit and just try to gauge an idea from description, and not taking someone's advice that I've not met before as gospel :thumbs:

The other tyre I was looking at was the Continental Conti Sport Contact 2 (edit - SC 5 seems to be the newer SC2/3) .

Pirelli have far too many variations to flipping understand at a glance, idiots :angry:

Edited by RobPhoboS

when i first got the car had falken 452 on it which handled well on the road in summer had them for about 2months then replaced them with

Maxxis MA-Z1 which to my supprise are very good (235-40-18 Front, 255-35-18 rear) didnt have any issues, no real under or overstead on a track day at snetterton, and the few drift days having them on the front ive always had the front end where i want it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Avon ZZ3 - Had them on for about a month now, covered about 500 ish miles. So quick write up.

So far great in the wet no issues at all even under mildly hard acceleration.

Noise, fair bit quieter than the Bridgestone 50's.

Dry seem ok but not had much dry use yet, will update as soon as.

Snow, seemed ok but need to take it to a quiet car park and test out.

Price £560 so fairly happy with that to put new rubber on all 4 corners and as I'm not a Senna wanna be they seem fairly sound so far.

Will update as soon as I have a few more miles on them!

• 1 month later...

Had my Zed since October last year, and love every minute driving it.

It haves the original Bridgestones on the front and replacement Avons on the rear.

Reading all previous threads it seems that mixing tyres on the Zed is best avoided.

I can confirm this as even with only driving in the dry, crossing white lines or wet patches on the road instantly bring in the stability control system.

Looking at previous threads the consensus seems to be that the best tyres are :-

Falken

Toyo

And lately Goodyear Eagles

As I will need to replace my front Bridgestones in the near future, I am faced with the choice of fitting Avon's to the front to achieve tyre compatibility or change all four tyres.

So would appreciate any advice please, I am thinking of a total changeout to either the Falken or Toyo's.

Regards,

Ridz

• 2 weeks later...

Dont let Ekona read that!!

The best tyres at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

The others are just cheaper.

I have a rear set of part worn 452's if you want them (6k miles on normal driving). £????

After having a good chat with Ek im changing all round to the PSS if they dont jump in price.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update re the Avon ZZ3s - albeit they are on 17s so are unlikely to be a very popular choice :lol: . Previously had Bridgestone 050As on 18s. They were very competent. I could not really find anything to complain about with them but they just did not give me the feel I was looking for - hard to define what was missing.

Anyway, switched to ZZ3s on 17s and - provided the weather is warm enough - and/or they are warm enough then they are exactly what I had hoped for - plenty of grip and feel, no tramlining (presumably because of the tread pattern) and good ride quality. I have no evidence of this but Avons I have had on previous cars tend to wear quickly so I am expecting the same with these. I also find that the disparity between what they are like warm vs cold is considerable - they feel pretty hard when cold - this is probably to do with the compound because pressures would obviously increase as they heat up. However, I use winter tyres when appropriate.

If I went back to 18s I would now choose MPSS, I think.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Well I need new tyres on the rears.

I was initially keen on the Mitchelin Pilot Super Sports but then read they are best for Summer use and really could do with something that works well in the cold and wet too, but not snow. (Car will stay home then and will use a front wheel drive motor !! )

Can anyone make any suggestions please ?

Thanks

+10000000000

Also anyone who thinks this is a good thing to do should avoid posting in this thread :boxing:

5620745109_d4f7a898d7.jpg

Looks like a dog dragging its ass along the carpet.. :thumbdown:

Hi,

Well I need new tyres on the rears.

I was initially keen on the Mitchelin Pilot Super Sports but then read they are best for Summer use and really could do with something that works well in the cold and wet too, but not snow. (Car will stay home then and will use a front wheel drive motor !! )

Can anyone make any suggestions please ?

Thanks

Supposedly the mpss are good in the wet aswell. Designed for dry but can cope in wet. From what I can gather, rwd sucks in rain unless you look at getting winter tyres.

I've had SS. For a while now. They are really good in the wet. The outside edge of the tyre is more of a performance or track oriented compound with few tread grooves but the inside 3/4 of the tyre is very good at clearing water. You have to be pushing to unstick them in the wet.

Hi guys

This tyre choice is really winding me up.

I have bigger wheels than the standard rays on my GT zed. Fronts are 245/40/19 and the rears 275/35/19.

The wheels are mania racing.

When I got the car it had falkens all round. The rears were replaced by my garage without consulting me. They put a set of accellera things on for £300. And they are like being on ice! Even in the dry they slide, traction control comes on etc!

Fronts have a bit of life still left in them but not much.

I have two problems.

1. The tyres seem to wear on the inside edge.

2. I don't want to potentially pay £800-900 to have the same problem.

Took the car to kwik fit today and they said kwik fit now owns falken. But they don't make the 275/35 tyre anymore. The cheapest quote was for Pirelli corsa tyres all round with free fit and wheel alignment to make sure they don't scuff again.

I'm happy to spend the cash if it solves the problem. I can't enjoy the car at the moment as its scary to drive.

Ideas?