Amateur Photography Thread

Husky

Well not a good experience/start of ownership of the Sony Nex-5N - I simply could not take pictures or record video and every time I turned on the camera I had to re-do the time and date.... Tried everything the manual said and ventured onto the problem page and went through all the steps etc and still the same problem. Anyway I was preparing myself to take the camera back to the shop this morning until I finally stumbled across this on google. someone describing the exact same problem http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... tures&qf=m Cut along story short I hooked the camera upto the pc and instantly recognised the device, unplugged the camera from the PC and tried to take a picture and hey presto it works! :bang::bang::bang:

Anyone else have this same issue with the NEX when tyou purchased yours?

Apart from the initial frustrations the camera I think is going to do me proud, just need lots of practice :thumbs:

Yes. Drove me bananas for an hour! :lol::lol:

Nice pic of the moon, my next question is how do you take a good shot of the moon? I have tried this on many occasions but it just shows up as a bright dot! I'm definitely using the wrong settings, so which one should I use? :shrug:

You have to use M mode since the auto metering system always overexposes the moon. The exact setting depends on your lens, the light, and how still you can hold the camera. I used f 6.7, expo 1/100 sec, ISO 200 using a 300mm lens.

Good luck :)

Disappointing thread is disappointing.

Was hoping for some filth.... But nothing. Bunch of selfish photographers keeping the candids for yourselves!! Shame on you. :lol:

As we are a public forum rmya's disappointment will need to continue, in case anyone thought otherwise ;)

Disappointing thread is disappointing.

Was hoping for some filth.... But nothing. Bunch of selfish photographers keeping the candids for yourselves!! Shame on you. :lol:

As we are a public forum rmya's disappointment will need to continue, in case anyone thought otherwise ;)

its unfortunate. i think we should make a 'private lounge' for members only...... have it on other forums for all the candids of wives and gf's :lol: sharings caring lol

• 3 months later...

Calling all camera/tripod guru's! Anyone using a Tripod for a Sony NEX-5N or can recommend a good one, planning on getting one but just doing a bit of research first.

Thanks all :thumbs:

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

You do take some very nice pics Clown - just a shame your timing is not so good when you go to Wales and could have included 30+ ZEDS in some of those shots :bangin::lol:

..................or similar locations :teeth:

Calling all camera/tripod guru's! Anyone using a Tripod for a Sony NEX-5N or can recommend a good one, planning on getting one but just doing a bit of research first.

Steve.

If your getting a tripod don't be cheap, go for a good make Manfrotto or similar. Costs from £120 > but its definatly worth it.

A £30 tripod managed to dig a 0.5mm groove and rub off the serial number on my 450D due to poor construction and design of the mounting plate. Thankfully I only use that tripod may be twice, anymore than more it might have actually damaged the tripod mount on the camera :scare:

mg2677.jpg

I've now got a Manfrotto one with a pistol grip head which is fab, but have to say though, have only really used the tripod a few times, and mainly for group photos. Though the tripod only weight a few kilos I'm always too lazy to actually take it out of the house :blush: Instead I've upgraded to a 550D body to get better night shots, got to love been able to get decent shots at ISO3200 hand held exposures :thumbs:

mg1426.jpg

mg1647.jpg

Really enjoyed this thread, a lot of good pictures, Guess I'll throw some into the mix too :)

4779815014_6221c67b8e.jpg

boats by soimafreak, on Flickr

4779815018_bde8b9be1c.jpg

Atlas by soimafreak, on Flickr

4779815026_4191e05ea1.jpg

Fireworks by soimafreak, on Flickr

4779815028_078aeed293.jpg

Horse Guards Building by soimafreak, on Flickr

4779815034_86f720e0e1.jpg

Lavender Bee by soimafreak, on Flickr

4779819240_b1cea2989c.jpg

Money Tree 2 by soimafreak, on Flickr